Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 08:09 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Do you really think that, MQ? Then what do you do with the other OT figures? All mythological?

What about Job? I think somewhere Jesus mentions Job and Noah, so....?

Which raises an interesting question: where does the myth end and the reality begin? I mean was Samson a myth, or Goliath, or David?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 08:40 AM

1,480 posts, read 481,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think you answered your own question there. "According to the story". We know what causes rainbows. Does it really make sense there were no rainbows before this flood?
A rainbow requires a clearing sky.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:02 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
A rainbow requires a clearing sky.
Um, yeah...I think we know that.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:03 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Which raises an interesting question: where does the myth end and the reality begin? I mean was Samson a myth, or Goliath, or David?
Who knows? And does it really matter?

Although, I believe that David was likely a real person, the king or tribal leader with his story being written down as history in his people's chronicles. Whether all the accounts of his life are accurate is another story. Our own, more recent historical figures come with myths and exaggerations, as well as little-known secrets and failings.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-17-2022 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-17-2022, 10:10 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Well, with regard to David at least, we do have an archaeological inscription referring to the house of David.
The House of David Inscription (also known as the “Tel Dan Inscription”) was discovered in 1994 during excavations at the ancient city of Dan. It is considered by many to be the first reference to the "House of David" discovered outside the biblical text.

The House of David Inscription appears to be a fragment of a victory monument erected by a king of Damascus (Aram) during the 9th century BC, some 250 years after King David’s reign. The fragment specifically mentions victories over a “king of Israel” (probably Joram) and a king of the “House of David” (probably Ahaziah).
The House of David Inscription (Tel Dan Inscription) currently resides in the Israel Museum, Jerusalem.

https://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/...iption-faq.htm

Old 04-17-2022, 10:23 AM

553 posts, read 173,148 times
Quote:
They ARE still real. Real because of the culture they continue to inspire. Look at somewhat recent history where a work of fiction, the anti-slavery novel by Harriet Beecher Stowe (a real person), was credited by Abraham Lincoln as something that changed the world:

Abraham Lincoln. When he met Stowe, it is claimed that he said, "So you're the little woman that started this great war!”

Reality is what counts. Inspired by myth or historical fact, it's all reality once lived out as culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity