Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2021, 10:11 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Well - in that day, no one believed the flood was coming either. How'd that work for them?

All I will do is present the Scriptures. It's a shame you are moving away from them and are choosing to trust in consensus opinion and science as the main source of your "faith" in the Lord.
But you do so without any regard for why the Bible says what it says and without relating the Bible to its ANE context.

Quote:
So if the flood isn't real because the scientists say so... what else isn't real?
  • the parting of the Red Sea
  • manna from heaven
  • the parting of the Jordan River
  • the falling down of the wall at Jericho
  • Jonah and the whale
  • Daniel in the lions' den
  • the virgin birth of Christ
  • the feeding of the 5000
  • Jesus walking on the water
  • the resurrection of Christ
That argument is invalid and ignores the various genres found in the Bible. Some of the things in your list may indeed not be historical while others are. The last four things in your list I absolutely regard as literal events. The first six . . . maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If you put a glass of water on your dash board while driving, and suddenly slow down , what happens to the glass of water?
A tsunami.
Before the flood men lived hundreds of years by the measurement of what was then a day.After the flood men live on average 1/10 th the time based on the length of the day.
The ocean volume did not need to grow, the wash via the tsunami washed over the planet.
What caused the slow down?
There are plenty of evidence around the world of astroid strike.
As for the story of Noah, there are plenty of other cultures that share the same story but with different name.
Several other factors play into this, for instance ,
The earth spinning faster than now would have a much high oxygen content due to plant growth, and plants and animals and even people would naturally grow larger.
With the sudden drop in rotation the whole planet would be in shock, and over time the largest land animals died for the lack of oxygen .
By it he way many ocean creatures fossils are found far inland.
Most things are eaten that die in the ocean, how is it that so much are so far inland intact?
One last thing for now.
For those of you that understand electricity and know the difference between AC An DC.
Under normal circumstances one can predict how long an incandescent light bulb will last on an an AC circuit but if that bulb is in the middle of it’s life cycle changed to a DC circuit, can you accurately predict its age?
Nice try, but no!

Last edited by Michael Way; 11-22-2021 at 10:31 AM..

Old 11-22-2021, 10:21 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yet...it happened. Weird.
I see that you take the "fundie" part of your name seriously.

Old 11-22-2021, 10:34 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually..the book is entirely historical narrative.
It's historical in that it actually names locations in the Middle East that are real. Harry Potter has real places in it's stories also. That doesn't make the rest historical, and there is no indication it is. As example, a couple of million people wandering around the Sinai for 40 years (even though I can walk from Cairo to Jerusalem in less than 10 days) left no residue campfires, ground disturbances or fecal pits. Unlike any other area where millions congregate that it is obvious they were there.

BTW, the Sinai is only 23,000 sq miles in area. That's around the size of West Virginia. And about the same number of people.

Getting back to your flood myth, there is no evidence that can show it happened worldwide. Nobody doubts a local disastrous flood could have occurred. It makes great stories to build a myth around.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:09 AM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
But you do so without any regard for why the Bible says what it says and without relating the Bible to its ANE context.
I believe in taking things in the proper context.

You said that what scientists believe, and what others believe factor into what you believe. So you are also adding in trying to figure out why certain texts are included. You are looking at everything but the Lord Himself.

Quote:
The last four things in your list I absolutely regard as literal events. The first six . . . maybe not.
Wow... I had no clue.

If God can bring Christ back to life... if Jesus can walk on the water - what can't God do outside of the validation of scientists?

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-22-2021 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Replaced missing quote tag

Old 11-22-2021, 11:15 AM

1,799 posts, read 563,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
If one cannot trust the Bible, what can you trust Mike?
Science. It shows the flood to be a myth. Sorry.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Somehow you messed up the format and I couldn't correct it. The bolded statement below is yours, not mine.

I believe in taking things in the proper context.
Me.
Except that you're not doing that. The proper context of the Hebrew Bible is the time and culture of the people who wrote the Bible and what they believed about the cosmos. The Hebrew Bible is heavily drawing on ANE concepts and adapting them to Hebrew theology in a polemic way to present Yahweh as being superior to the ANE gods, which he is. There is no need to take certain things which the Biblical writers wrote of as being either literal or historical to do that.

Quote:
You said that what scientists believe, and what others believe factor into what you believe. So you are also adding in trying to figure out why certain texts are included. You are looking at everything but the Lord Himself.
I said that scientific evidence factors into what I believe. As well, what we have learned about the Bible's relationship with the ancient Near East's culture and cosmological views factors into what I believe.

Quote:
Wow... I had no clue.

If God can bring Christ back to life... if Jesus can walk on the water - what can't God do that requires the validation of scientists?
It's not what God can do, but what he did or didn't do. Science gives us an increasingly more accurate understanding of the natural world which God made.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:58 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,366,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
I think not a myth but possibly something huge like a cosmic event, maybe the extinction of Neanderthals. I think we underestimate how advanced man has been in the past. We go back hundreds of thousands of years, how do we know say 100,000 years ago we achieved a breakthrough in technology just like today. In just the past one hundred years, we learned how go to space, unthinkable before. Nature would reclaim that ancient civilization(s) as well. Just a theory of mine.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:08 PM

63,842 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Me.
Except that you're not doing that. The proper context of the Hebrew Bible is the time and culture of the people who wrote the Bible and what they believed about the cosmos. The Hebrew Bible is heavily drawing on ANE concepts and adapting them to Hebrew theology in a polemic way to present Yahweh as being superior to the ANE gods, which he is. There is no need to take certain things which the Biblical writers wrote of as being either literal or historical to do that.

I said that scientific evidence factors into what I believe. As well, what we have learned about the Bible's relationship with the ancient Near East's culture and cosmological views factors into what I believe.

It's not what God can do, but what he did or didn't do. Science gives us an increasingly more accurate understanding of the natural world which God made.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:13 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
science takes money from political interests ...cannot trust science any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity