Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,442 times

Advertisements

Regarding the OP, I'm sure someone else has said this: We are no longer under the mosaic law covenant. It was 'hung upon the stake' with Christ. However, the spirit of the law is encompassed by these two laws 'You must love Jehovah your God with your whole mind, heart, sould and strength' and 'You must love your neighbor as yourself.' Most of the law covenant is easily covered by these but The Sabbath is not. Therefore, it is up to the individual what he does about it. We can decide to set aside one day for Jehovah but in actuality, time should be set aside for God every single day.

If you remember, Jesus was very adamant about not 'straining the gnat and gulping down the camel' when the pharisees began to condemn his followers for 'threshing' wheat in their hands on the sabbath. Even then, it was up to the individual what type of work was permissable on the Sabbath day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:25 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Regarding the OP, I'm sure someone else has said this: We are no longer under the mosaic law covenant. It was 'hung upon the stake' with Christ. However, the spirit of the law is encompassed by these two laws 'You must love Jehovah your God with your whole mind, heart, sould and strength' and 'You must love your neighbor as yourself.' Most of the law covenant is easily covered by these but The Sabbath is not. Therefore, it is up to the individual what he does about it. We can decide to set aside one day for Jehovah but in actuality, time should be set aside for God every single day.

If you remember, Jesus was very adamant about not 'straining the gnat and gulping down the camel' when the pharisees began to condemn his followers for 'threshing' wheat in their hands on the sabbath. Even then, it was up to the individual what type of work was permissible on the Sabbath day.
Let's be careful, because the Sabbath commandment is about obedience out of love for God just like the other nine are. The way its is stated in Genesis is rather simple. God created the Sabbath, He blessed it and He Sanctified it long before there was a Jew or a Gentile. Therefore, Jesus simple said that the Sabbath was made for "man" and not man for the Sabbath. Unfortunately, there is not one single statement direct or implied in the Old or New Testament that states the God bless or sanctified the first day of the week. Unless Jesus has stated somewhere in the New Testament that it does not matter if you are obedient or not to God's Commandments including the Sabbath, then out of love for the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit it behooves the christian to follow God not man. It is true that the yearly Sabbaths (Feasts days) were indeed nailed to the cross, because they were types and shadows that were fulfilled at the cross by Jesus Christ. But the weekly Sabbath (Saturday) is a perpetual reminder that God created the world through Jesus Christ. But Paul, when speaking to the Jews states that if a person will continue to honor those feast days, then that is between that person and God. But when speaking to the Galatians he wondered who had bewitched them. Let's not get the laws confused, one pointed out sin and one was a means of forgiveness for sins, which point to Christ. Another dealt with civil matters, another for cleanliness and another for which foods were permissible to eat. God Bless.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
Rom. 14:4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. 5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

I say if someone wants to work themselves to death seven days a week they can 'observe not' to the Lord and die young and be in a permanent state of 'sabbath'. No problem.

blessings,
- Byron

Old 06-10-2008, 06:37 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
I agree....the Sabbath should be observed as the Lord's day. But like everything else in this world today, that doesn't seem to matter much anymore. I am also guilty of working on Sunday, although I don't now. I think we also need to take into consideration why people are working on Sunday....I think you can take time to honor God as well as work if it is a matter of survival or losing your job if you don't work on Sunday.

If you take time out of another day to honor God to make up for Sunday, wouldn't that be sufficient? I mean, technically the Sabbath is Saturday (like you said) which we don't observe, so what's the difference as long as you are choosing "a day" to honor God? I just don't think God is that condemning about this particular subject. Just because yardwork has the word "work" in it doesn't make it work for some.....it is a form of relaxation and can be used as a time to meditate and be one with God. Just my perspective on it.
Wow, strong revisionism.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
Didn't Jesus performed a miracle on the sabbath day?

How about if a woman is in labour on that day? You can't choose the day the child wants to come out.
Again, ask your local rabbi. Exceptions to save life are allowed.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,407 times
"Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for the priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions." Then he said to the Pharisees, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."
-God

There is no benefit in the Sabbath for God. The Sabbath was created by God for us to rest, relax, and reconnect/focus on God. For the Jews, as is often the case, it became more about the laws they created than about the God's purpose. Christ knew this (since He created the Sabbath) and showed us and the Pharisees that it was more important to break Jewish law than to let another suffer. The Sabbath is a tool God provides to maintain our focus on him. But what is the ultimate command of God? To stay home on the Sabbath and sit in the dark with no food? or to care for, love, and connect with our loved ones and ultimately God? For some the requirements of their job dictate that they must work on Sabbath, for others there are requirements which must be met that break Jewish law - not to worry. Again the purpose of the Sabbath is to focus on God, rest, and renew yourself for what is to come. He does not say that we must observe the Sabbath on a particular day. In fact most of agriculture runs on a cycle of seven - and so on the seventh day the fields rested for agricultural purposes and it was a convienent time for man to also rest and refocus on God, be with his family, and prepare himself to face the next cycle for his crops. If you want to follow Jewish law debate Jewish law that is great. If you want to follow God's law that's even better. Just don't confuse the two and then tell others they are lesser according to your misinformation/misunderstanding.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Let's be careful, because the Sabbath commandment is about obedience out of love for God just like the other nine are. The way its is stated in Genesis is rather simple. God created the Sabbath, He blessed it and He Sanctified it long before there was a Jew or a Gentile. Therefore, Jesus simple said that the Sabbath was made for "man" and not man for the Sabbath. Unfortunately, there is not one single statement direct or implied in the Old or New Testament that states the God bless or sanctified the first day of the week. Unless Jesus has stated somewhere in the New Testament that it does not matter if you are obedient or not to God's Commandments including the Sabbath, then out of love for the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit it behooves the christian to follow God not man. It is true that the yearly Sabbaths (Feasts days) were indeed nailed to the cross, because they were types and shadows that were fulfilled at the cross by Jesus Christ. But the weekly Sabbath (Saturday) is a perpetual reminder that God created the world through Jesus Christ. But Paul, when speaking to the Jews states that if a person will continue to honor those feast days, then that is between that person and God. But when speaking to the Galatians he wondered who had bewitched them. Let's not get the laws confused, one pointed out sin and one was a means of forgiveness for sins, which point to Christ. Another dealt with civil matters, another for cleanliness and another for which foods were permissible to eat. God Bless.
I'm not sure but I think you are agreeing with me. It is up to the individual whether they refuse to work on Sundays since the old law was done away with...however, we should all live every day for God. My own conscience prevents me from setting aside one day of the week as a special day of service for Jehovah.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I'm not sure but I think you are agreeing with me. It is up to the individual whether they refuse to work on Sundays since the old law was done away with...however, we should all live every day for God. My own conscience prevents me from setting aside one day of the week as a special day of service for Jehovah.
Not exactly, The Old Law that most people refer to is the Law of ordinances, which pointed to Jesus' death. Sunday the first day of the week was never blessed or sanctified by God the creator. The funny thing is, God knew we would forget so He said to "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy". Then He told us that there are six days of the week for work and commerce. One law (the Ten Commandments) points out sin. The other law (sacrifices and feast days) were the means of atoning for sin. That's the reason why John the Baptist referred to Jesus as the "Lamb" that takes away the sins of the world. He is the true sacrifice, whereas the others were just types of the true. That is the reason why Paul concludes that we are no longer under the law, but under grace. Jesus' death has freed us from the curse of the law, which demanded death of the sinner. Therefore, now when a person sins all he/she has to do is by faith ask for forgiveness and the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all of our sins (transgression of the law "Ten Commandments"). But remember what Jesus told the woman caught in adultery, "go and sin no more". I'm sorry for being so long winded.
God Bless.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
"Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for the priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions." Then he said to the Pharisees, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."
-God

There is no benefit in the Sabbath for God. The Sabbath was created by God for us to rest, relax, and reconnect/focus on God. For the Jews, as is often the case, it became more about the laws they created than about the God's purpose. Christ knew this (since He created the Sabbath) and showed us and the Pharisees that it was more important to break Jewish law than to let another suffer. The Sabbath is a tool God provides to maintain our focus on him. But what is the ultimate command of God? To stay home on the Sabbath and sit in the dark with no food? or to care for, love, and connect with our loved ones and ultimately God? For some the requirements of their job dictate that they must work on Sabbath, for others there are requirements which must be met that break Jewish law - not to worry. Again the purpose of the Sabbath is to focus on God, rest, and renew yourself for what is to come. He does not say that we must observe the Sabbath on a particular day. In fact most of agriculture runs on a cycle of seven - and so on the seventh day the fields rested for agricultural purposes and it was a convienent time for man to also rest and refocus on God, be with his family, and prepare himself to face the next cycle for his crops. If you want to follow Jewish law debate Jewish law that is great. If you want to follow God's law that's even better. Just don't confuse the two and then tell others they are lesser according to your misinformation/misunderstanding.
And you are clued into God's law better than everyone else because....?

Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Not exactly, The Old Law that most people refer to is the Law of ordinances, which pointed to Jesus' death. Sunday the first day of the week was never blessed or sanctified by God the creator. The funny thing is, God knew we would forget so He said to "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy". Then He told us that there are six days of the week for work and commerce. One law (the Ten Commandments) points out sin. The other law (sacrifices and feast days) were the means of atoning for sin. That's the reason why John the Baptist referred to Jesus as the "Lamb" that takes away the sins of the world. He is the true sacrifice, whereas the others were just types of the true. That is the reason why Paul concludes that we are no longer under the law, but under grace. Jesus' death has freed us from the curse of the law, which demanded death of the sinner. Therefore, now when a person sins all he/she has to do is by faith ask for forgiveness and the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all of our sins (transgression of the law "Ten Commandments"). But remember what Jesus told the woman caught in adultery, "go and sin no more". I'm sorry for being so long winded.
God Bless.
Seems like you might overcomplicating things. The two key laws, one being 'Love God with your whole mind,heart,soul, and strength' leaves it up to the individual how he shows this love. Not just by observing an obligatory day of rest but by living his whole life according to this command. So no, we are not obligated by law to observe a 'day of rest'. If someone chooses to work on that day, its between them and God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity