Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 04:59 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,680,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
From a non religious perspective, cause I am not going to understand biblical language with all due respect

I am looking more at natural disasters or global climatic collapses or introduction of a new species perhaps, not really human events like war, famine, recession or sporting events

But if you want to quote Bible verses, no problem, just make sure to translate it into literalist language.
In my opinion I don’t think the bible is the place to look for that type of thing

The writers of the various books of the bible were referencing other documents (or inspirations) and the bible is a collection, I see it as encyclopaedic

It is more of a theological work than about the natural, physical world itself and uses symbols, metaphors, etc and the myths and stories are written to religious people about their own duties, responsibilities and the penalties for their own failure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 07:42 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,835,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
First off Isaiah and Cyrus are separated by more like 125 years, not 400.

Both church tradition and scholarship tell us that the book of Isaiah is an anthology consisting of Isaiah proper (chapters 1-39) and deutro-Isaiah (chapters 40-66, which, pointedly, do not mention Isaiah at all). The latter being the work of an anonymous prophet and per textual analysis written at about the time Cyrus was king. So neither a miracle nor a prophecy are needed to explain how Cyrus got in there by name.
Does that make the prophecy any less of a miracle?

I learned that it was 400 yrs from the Plain Truth Magazine; however they were later determined to be a cult. So I wouldn't be surprised if they misinformed me.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I would not even recommend it for predicting Christ's return -- even when Christ himself was predicting it. "Some of you listening to me here today will not see death before I return". Seems like it is 2000 years off and counting.
That is not what He said. He said that they would not taste of death before the kingdom came in its power. Which was fulfilled in the transfiguration which was the next event recorded in both gospels where Jesus said this.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:24 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
I would not even recommend it for predicting Christ's return -- even when Christ himself was predicting it. "Some of you listening to me here today will not see death before I return". Seems like it is 2000 years off and counting.
Only for the physically-minded Christians who expected a physical return. They completely missed and misinterpreted His return at Pentecost as the Comforter (paraclete).

Old 05-19-2022, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Only for the physically-minded Christians who expected a physical return. They completely missed and misinterpreted His return at Pentecost as the Comforter (paraclete).
Jesus will be returning physically (Acts 1:11).

Old 05-19-2022, 12:37 AM

17,773 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post

I learned that it was 400 yrs from the Plain Truth Magazine; however they were later determined to be a cult. So I wouldn't be surprised if they misinformed me.
I miss 'ole Herbert and Garner Ted. That church actually split into four or five new organizations and the one most closely associated with Herbert Armstrong has their headquarters and their bible college in the town where I went to High School.

As to the topic, there are certainly a lot of scriptures in the OT that Christians indicate are prophecies fulfilled by the coming of Jesus as well as his life, death and resurrection. Too lazy to look them up but I think there are hundreds.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:22 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
I think so. If there is a natural explanation, then the supernatural is not required.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:23 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
There are some REALLY old people walking around not yet identified by the Enquirer.

But seriously, OP, the Bible, or to be more accurate, the 66 different writings that make up the Bible are not primarily designed to foretell the future, so what prompted this question to begin with?

Even Revelation, which many seem to believe is some sort of future-telling device, is thought by many scholars to be about events that occurred a long time ago, referring, perhaps, to the Roman Empire in code and apocalyptic language.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:56 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are some REALLY old people walking around not yet identified by the Enquirer.

But seriously, OP, the Bible, or to be more accurate, the 66 different writings that make up the Bible are not primarily designed to foretell the future, so what prompted this question to begin with?

Even Revelation, which many seem to believe is some sort of future-telling device, is thought by many scholars to be about events that occurred a long time ago, referring, perhaps, to the Roman Empire in code and apocalyptic language.
There are many different eschatologies (doctrine of the end of days) derived largely from this book. And the key question is, what is the "rapture" and when does it occur, is it literal or figurative. What is the tribulation period, etc. The "tribulation" has been identified as everything from the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem in 70 AD to some future event. And the "rapture" of the church will occur either at the start, middle or end of the tribulation (these are the pre, mid and post-tribulationist stances). The tribulation is said to be 7 units of time in length and divided in half as two 3.5 unit periods (cryptically, "a time, times and half a time"). These units are generally assumed to be years.

It is all good rollicking fun for conspiracy theorist-style thinking but basically the fever dream that is The Revelation of John is whatever you want it to be. I just want to know what he was high on when he wrote it, lol.

This "read into it what you will" aspect is true of all Biblical prophecy. It is always some vivid and fantastical imagery with layered figurative, symbolic and possibly literal meanings. In the early 1960s when my family was converted to fundamentalist Christianity, there was a popular chalk artist in the Chicago area where we lived giving illustrated talks about the coming rapture and tribulation. I remember a passage in Revelation that speaks of a plague of locusts released from the pit of hell that had "hair like women's hair". She said this "obviously" referred to modern fighter jets and their contrails. I mean, well, obviously, right, to the modern eye? I can envision each generation casting about for something in real life that resembles this imagery, and coming up with something entirely different.

There is OT prophecy about future kingdoms that will arise, e.g., one of iron, one of bronze, one with feet of clay, etc., and throughout the centuries this vague imagery has seemed applicable to various nations and kingdoms that were known at that time. This is the mechanism by which "prophecy" is "fulfilled". It is just pattern matching and garden-variety confirmation bias. Nothing special.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:28 AM
xd4t5gv

n/a posts
Quote:
That is not what He said. He said that they would not taste of death before the kingdom came in its power. Which was fulfilled in the transfiguration which was the next event recorded in both gospels where Jesus said this.
Matthew 16

Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.

This is not talking about the vision 6 days later. The above phrase does not make any sense to say if it was 6 days later. The idea that is corollary to the above phrase is that some would die and the vision was not the actual kingdom nor Jesus coming in power - the actual physical return with a real earthly kingdom.

Then the narrative timeline has Jesus saying in Matthew 24, way after ch.17 (the vision) that this generation will not pass away until all those things mentioned are fulfilled - including his return.

Only Christians who can't deal truthfully with the text talk like you do! There are a dozen timing verses in the NT that show that the prediction for Jesus' return failed - it was to be soon, near, at the door, etc. and the above quotes are just two of them. But you go on believing whatever you need to believe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity