Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 12:05 PM
xd4t5gv

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
I'm happy with this statement from the website:
But recent scholarship also argues that even the portions he didn’t physically write originated with him in some form.

So now you are ok with idea that Isaiah didn't write certain portions but which originated from him in different forms. In other words 'some form' was an original and then was redacted/altered/added too by other writer/s.

Case Closed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 10:09 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,835,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathro View Post
But recent scholarship also argues that even the portions he didn’t physically write originated with him in some form.

So now you are ok with idea that Isaiah didn't write certain portions but which originated from him in different forms. In other words 'some form' was an original and then was redacted/altered/added too by other writer/s.

Case Closed!
No; the idea is that Isaiah dictated it and somebody else wrote it down; as was the case with many of Paul's writings.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:32 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
This all boils down to the fact that humans need to believe they will face judgement of some kind, when they die.

I have a sneaky feeling, this is why Christianity was born when it was in history, and why it grew.

If there is no judgement upon our death...what is there to keep people civil and decent to one another, and for society to thrive, progress, etc?

If we knew for a fact that we just blinked out of existence, (no judgement, no punishment, no reward)...our world would be BRUTAL!! There would be no basis for 'right and wrong', 'good and evil', etc, everything would just revolve around the present time and doing whatever made you feel good or whatever whim popped into your mind at that moment. I would not want to live in such world.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This all boils down to the fact that humans need to believe they will face judgement of some kind, when they die.

I have a sneaky feeling, this is why Christianity was born when it was in history, and why it grew.

If there is no judgement upon our death...what is there to keep people civil and decent to one another, and for society to thrive, progress, etc?

If we knew for a fact that we just blinked out of existence, (no judgement, no punishment, no reward)...our world would be BRUTAL!! There would be no basis for 'right and wrong', 'good and evil', etc, everything would just revolve around the present time and doing whatever made you feel good or whatever whim popped into your mind at that moment. I would not want to live in such world.
The idea that there is judgment after death dates back as far as Solomon (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14); perhaps even further back.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
The idea that there is judgment after death dates back as far as Solomon (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14); perhaps even further back.
Its really the only way for a society to thrive and progress!

The laws that are in place, both religious law and secular law have the same purpose...to maintain civility and order. (people MUST fear the consequences of wrongdoing of any kind).

The way I see it, what is the likelihood, that human beings are totally correct on all this?! None of us knows what happens after death, we have no idea if there is judgement, it could be that we just blink out of existence entirely, or it may be something that our minds cannot comprehend? (the latter is probably most likely). What are the chances humans can accurately predict what happens when we die?

Old 05-21-2022, 09:18 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

I can't speak for you, but as for myself, my not wanting to victimize someone else in any way is not out of fear of judgment either in this life or after death, but out of a desire to not interfere in someone else's life. The idea of violating the privacy and rights of another person to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is repugnant to me. And if I knew for a fact that this life was all that there was, no life after death, then all the more reason to not do anything to harm another person and take away from them whatever they have in this, the only life they will ever have. And I would to the best of my ability defend a person being attacked by someone intent on harming them.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:42 AM
xd4t5gv

n/a posts
Quote:
No; the idea is that Isaiah dictated it and somebody else wrote it down; as was the case with many of Paul's writings.
The article said nothing about dictation. Do you just pull crap out your *** and hope it sticks? Here is what it said:

"Most scholars agree that the prophet Isaiah likely only wrote a portion of the book, but recent scholarship also argues that even the portions he didn’t physically write originated with him in some form."

It then goes into the timeline of Isaiah and concludes:

"So it appears that there are three distinct timelines in Isaiah, and the time between them is so great that they couldn’t have been written in the present by the same person. While other prophets talk about the future, Isaiah seems to talk in the future."

It then goes into what scholars do with this timeline and the stylistic differences.

"Scholars have developed a variety of theories to explain the gaps in the timeline and the stylistic changes. While there is wide agreement about the evidence, there isn’t as much consensus on what to do with that evidence."

It discusses the three authorship theory and the multiple authorship theory. It then discusses the theory that Isaiah was the source for all it:

"Still others, like Dr. John Oswalt, argue that Isaiah was the original source for all 66 chapters, but that the book was assembled over the years from his collected works: his speeches, sermons, talks, and comments."

There was no mention of dictation in there and even the last one from Dr. Oswalt has the collection over years that Isaiah would not be around.

Again, just believe what you NEED to believe but stop pretending you know what you are talking about and stop telling fibs about what you supposedly read just to ameliorate your dissonance by these post hoc rationalizations that you hope no one will notice. Stop pulling crap out of nowhere and hoping it sticks. That's intellectual dishonesty.

Old 05-21-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
"Still others, like Dr. John Oswalt, argue that Isaiah was the original source for all 66 chapters, but that the book was assembled over the years from his collected works: his speeches, sermons, talks, and comments."
If the above is true, Isaiah is still the author of the entire book.

Old 05-21-2022, 01:29 PM
xd4t5gv

n/a posts
Quote:
Ifthe above is true, Isaiah is still the author of the entire book.
Do you even know how to follow along with your own comments? The above is irrelevant to your previous comment and the context of what you quoted in the article and its mention on scholars and their positions. And certainly has nothing to do with dictation -

I don't even think you believe your own BS - that would be very tragic if you did - worse than how bad you look right now. You just front like a child who has been caught with chocolate on his face and standing by the cookie jar and just asserting - was not me -when asked if he had some cookies.

I don't have time for your childish and ignorant attempts to make yourself look good in this, another, loss of yours. You are intellectually dishonest and/or completely unworthy of discussing the issues.

Last edited by xd4t5gv; 05-21-2022 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-21-2022, 05:07 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
If the above is true, Isaiah is still the author of the entire book.
The ^ above ^ ties in nicely with 2nd Timothy 3:16-17 that ALL Scripture is inspired by God.
ALL Scripture includes the Bible book of Isaiah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity