U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 PM

26,998 posts, read 28,843,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Very true. Acting like Christ is tough, that means we would be perfect.
Matthew 25:35-40 tells us how to "act like Christ." It says we must feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, take in the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick, and go to those in prison. We can keep the commandments He gave us to the best of our abilities. It may not be easy to do, but it's pretty easy to understand what is expected of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 AM

23,518 posts, read 31,222,630 times
It is also what cult do. I think it's called "love bombing.' They a superficially kind, friendly and hekpful at first. Much warmer than an average church would be initially.
At 21 my mother had just passed, my father re-married his secretary in haste, and I was on my own.

At this fundie church I was instantly treated like family.
In a way, it was very Christlike. But as their beliefs both political; and social began to surface, I found my self increasingly repulsed.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:06 PM

26,998 posts, read 28,843,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is also what cult do. I think it's called "love bombing.' They a superficially kind, friendly and hekpful at first. Much warmer than an average church would be initially.
At 21 my mother had just passed, my father re-married his secretary in haste, and I was on my own.

At this fundie church I was instantly treated like family.
In a way, it was very Christlike. But as their beliefs both political; and social began to surface, I found my self increasingly repulsed.
So if people behave in a loving, charitable way towards you, look out?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,486,654 times
Default Bible Answer To A Thought For Talk

Paul left from the company of Mark to be with another disciple doing the work of the Lord. I believe this is reading in the book of Acts.

Segregation is not necessarily sin in the body of Christ---2 Cor. 6.

Segregation is not necessarily hatred------Amos 3:3.

People married to people all their life and hate their guts---Romans 3:1-4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
I've always felt close to God, have had many life experiences that leave me with no doubts of His existence. I always called myself Christian, if asked. But more and more lately, I just feel like I don't identify with the ideas/behaviors of those I encounter (in person or through media, etc.) who claim "Christianity" as their faith.

It just feels to me like what I encounter is such an elitist, judgemental force. Does anyone else relate with that? It's not that I feel differently about God, because I don't. I know Jesus is real, I know He died for me. I don't question any of my beliefs. I just don't feel like I fit in among those proclaming Christianity. Does that make sense?

I'd love to be involved in church again. But it seems every one I've tried, save one (and I can't attend that one anymore because I moved out of state), felt very "cliquey" to me, like most people there really were constantly judging everyone else, looking down on them. I haven't tried to find a new church in a very long time, I just got sick of trying to find one that felt right.

And when it comes to things like the documentary "Jesus Camp", I am just left feeling like I SURELY don't want to be lumped into the same category as these folks! Not that I don't have love and compassion in my heart for them, because I really do. I just don't identify with their practices.

I also think history shows that a lot of really horrendous, very WRONG things have been done in the name of Christianity and this, coupled with the things I've already pointed out, make me leery of telling my children "you are Christian". We talk about God, we talk about and read the Bible at times, we discuss Jesus, etc. Part of me feels regretful that I don't have them involved in church...but another part of me refuses to put them in an environment where people behave elitist and judgemental because it just seems counterproductive, you know?

Anyway, I'd love to hear other people's take on this subject, and hear about your own experiences as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,462,691 times
I feel like I'm on an island. As I've always considered myself Christian, my proclamation had little merit. Heavy on the saved by faith and little obedience. Raised Catholic and fell away from that faith - for good reason now that I know better! Researching what to do with my life I found Jesus. This time I really found him.

Nonetheless I look around me and see people set in their ways. Attempting to break their level of understanding and comfort has been difficult. This praying to idols, saints, calling pastor Father really needs to stop. We've gotten so far away from scripture.

So thus I'm in the process of starting my own ministry. I'm not sure what is to come of it. It will completely be focused on Jesus Christ. It will involve Bible study (KJV), and group prayer solely intended on glorifying God. So any resources you all might have please send them to me. If you can't join them, start your own. It doesn't require a building. Just a place to meet. No "Father" or "Pastor" necessary. Primary message is repent, just like Jesus Christ said. Pray that I can do some good work here for the LORD. God bless.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:32 PM

37,313 posts, read 27,226,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
I feel like I'm on an island. As I've always considered myself Christian, my proclamation had little merit. Heavy on the saved by faith and little obedience. Raised Catholic and fell away from that faith - for good reason now that I know better! Researching what to do with my life I found Jesus. This time I really found him.

Nonetheless I look around me and see people set in their ways. Attempting to break their level of understanding and comfort has been difficult. This praying to idols, saints, calling pastor Father really needs to stop. We've gotten so far away from scripture.

So thus I'm in the process of starting my own ministry. I'm not sure what is to come of it. It will completely be focused on Jesus Christ. It will involve Bible study (KJV), and group prayer solely intended on glorifying God. So any resources you all might have please send them to me. If you can't join them, start your own. It doesn't require a building. Just a place to meet. No "Father" or "Pastor" necessary. Primary message is repent, just like Jesus Christ said. Pray that I can do some good work here for the LORD. God bless.
Your primary message should be the goodness of God, after all it's that which leads a man to repent.

Or are you [so blind as to] trifle with and presume upon and despise and underestimate the wealth of His kindness and forbearance and long-suffering patience? Are you unmindful or actually ignorant [of the fact] that God's kindness is intended to lead you to repent ([a]to change your mind and inner man to accept God's will)?
Romans 2:4. Pretty loaded for one verse of scripture.

God's kindness is intended to lead you to repent .

Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 PM

7,633 posts, read 12,278,873 times
Well I feel like I never fit in with most of the Christians on this board. That's why I had to migrate to Rapture In the Air forums. Alot of Christians here do nothing to grow into the body of Christ. They listen to universalist, debate with Atheist and lose their beliefs over it, and then want to preach to true bible-believing Christians how wrong we are. This forum is evident of the apostasy of the church in the last days. Luke-warm Christians giving in to seducing spirits in these last days. I came here initally to defend us from these Atheist that roam the forums and bark their rebukes at us. But I have learned that most of the Christians here don't care to defend Christ from them. What they do is give in to their unsubstantiated and ridiculous claims and proceed to transform the word of God into some sugary gospel and Jesus Christ into some type of lovey-dovey candyman. I cannot stand this. Yes, we can agree to some things like prayer and the philosophy of Christ, but alot of us are not on the same paths at all. I highly doubt anyone on here has a 9-to-5 job or goes to church based on what I have read. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Time will tell when the complete truth will be revealed. Until then, I'm waiting on the Lord and preaching the word in hopes some people will listen.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 AM

20 posts, read 32,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
U found that I felt this way when I left my mainline denominational church for a while to explore the not so fun world of fundamentalism in my early 20s.
People were warn and friendly but their ideas terrified me. For example some supported apartheid!
That, I call hypocrisy, all about make belief. It's a lot of that in churches. But like everything that is wrong, as Christians, we need to stand for what is right.

We need to seek for whatever church we go, that their teachings are based on what Jesus actually teaches. If we depart from Jesus, then we are anything, but Christians.

It's so much men's doctrines in almost every church. I've been in a few and there is always something that I do not like and that has nothing to do with God.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM

20 posts, read 32,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So if people behave in a loving, charitable way towards you, look out?
Then, it means, we won't ever be a body? The church can't be a family? Almost anywhere you go, you will find Hippocrates, but also good people who sincerely belief and are happy to have you around.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,377,526 times
What we think and how we feel are so much influenced by our past experiences and even by our biologically influenced feelings, that we can't always be sure that we are "Christian" in our thinking and our behavior. I think God understands us and loves us, but we think we have to figure it all out instead of just praying "You are God," and pondering on that. What can we do for God? Nothing. We can try to trust and to obey, and to learn all we can. The biggest mistake we make, I think, is learning or believing we know something, and then judging others without knowing what we are doing. Our biggest job as I see it is just loving. Learning to love unconditionally might be the hardest thing to learn, especially if we haven't been loved properly and guided wisely. But who has had a perfect set of parents? Who has had perfect teachers? Maybe we expect too much of ourselves and others. Bible study is great, but it is a lifetime project which is never really complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity