Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:33 AM

224 posts, read 414,623 times

Advertisements

Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

1Ti 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
1Ti 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

ok again i did all my quotes first.

If all of these Scriptures are correct and i assume they are after all they are the Bible. Then I have a simple question....

Which church is The Church?

I have heard some say we agree on some things with other churches but we differ on other issues. Would I be wrong in saying that agreeing with someone on 80 % of an issue is not agreement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 01:54 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
In my opinion, the 'Rock' upon which the church is to be established is this:

Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Christ=Messiah.

All Christian churches agree 100% that Jesus is the Messiah.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:07 PM

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

ok i follow you so far......... so that means that every single church is The Church in the pattern of the 7 churches in asia and that all members of those churches are members or saints in the true church and all are saved and will go to heaven right?

if the Scripture i quoted is correct does that mean a church that takes the Lords supper every sunday is the same as some that may take it only once a month or every six months ..... this i heard from a friend that his church practices really only twice a year at christmas and easter..

???

Old 02-06-2008, 02:11 PM

152 posts, read 457,613 times
The bible dose not use the term church to describe any building or denomination but as believers as a whole.

Taken from a website I found while looking this up:
(mwtb.org - What is the church according to the Bible? I'm confused by the use of the word "church" as it is used today. It seems so different from how the Bible speaks of it. (http://www.mwtb.org/html/600390.html - broken link))
he Bible's usage of the word "church" is different from the accepted use today. Usually when a person speaks of "my church" or "a church" he is speaking of a particular denomination or a building that is used for religious services.

The Bible uses the word "church" almost exclusively to describe a company of believers. Actually, the word "church" is a translation of the Greek word ekklesia which means a "called-out company." Through common usage the word came to mean "a gathering" or "an assembly." It was used by the Greeks to describe any gathering which had a common object.

Three ways in which the Bible uses the word "church" are:

* To describe a group of believers or saints in a specific area. This is often called the local church. An example of this is found in 1 Corinthians 1:2 where Paul addresses his epistle "unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints." It is quite clear that the word is used to describe believers who lived in Corinth. This may also be noticed in many of the other epistles. In Romans 16:5 we read "Likewise greet the church that is in their house" (also 1 Corinthians 16:19). Here we find that the church or company of believers met in a home.
* To describe all believers everywhere from the beginning of the church at Pentecost until the completion of the church at the rapture. An example of this is found in Ephesians 5:25 where we read, "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave Himself for it" (also Matthew 16:18).
* To describe groups of believers in a large area. An example of this is found in Galatians 1:2 where we read "unto the churches of Galatia" (also 1 Corinthians 16:19).
* In addition to these uses it is also used to describe Israel and a heathen mob in Acts 7:38 and Acts 19:32,39,41.

From these Scriptures we can see how far we have departed from the Biblical use and meaning of the word "church." It is interesting to notice in this connection that the only names given to Christians in the Bible were names that were common to all Christians such as believers, saints, disciples and Christians. Some were called Corinthian believers and some were called Ephesian believers, etc. but this was only to distinguish where they lived. As we see this truth from the Bible should we not attempt to get back to gathering once again simply as believers and be known as the church or assembly of saints in the particular city where we live?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:15 PM

Ok so maybe I asked my question incorrectly.

What doctrine out of all the ones out there is the true doctrine contained in all of the new testament scriptures?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:19 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Many, many people confuse their building they worship in as the church..When I was little we attended a Friends Society (quakers)"Meeting Place" for a couple of years since it was close by for a family who didn't have a car..They knew the meaning of Church...

The Church is built on Jesus and the teachings in the 4 Gospels..We become part of the church when we accept Him and live according to his teachings..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-06-2008 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: add content

Old 02-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxGreyFalconxx View Post
if the Scripture i quoted is correct does that mean a church that takes the Lords supper every sunday is the same as some that may take it only once a month or every six months ..... this i heard from a friend that his church practices really only twice a year at christmas and easter..

???
In my opinion, frequency of rituals has nothing to do with being the 'church'.

If the core, the foundation, the rock, is Christ Jesus. The 'church' is focused.

It's when we take our eyes off Him and try and attach more to Him that the church flounders.

In my opinion, there's a lot of symbolism in the fact Christ died naked on a cross. Completely naked. Nothing up there but His body and His blood.

We don't need to try and attach anything else to the Perfect Sacrifice.

I hope I am answering your question.

In short, if a 'church' has Christ right and right in the center, then the peripheral things will take care of themselves.

I truly believe that.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 02-06-2008 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM

I truly see your point or were you are coming from.

I still don't think I am clear why there are so many different denominations.

Like I have said I am a logical thinker and that seems illogical to me .... maybe thinking to much.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedzul View Post
From these Scriptures we can see how far we have departed from the Biblical use and meaning of the word "church." It is interesting to notice in this connection that the only names given to Christians in the Bible were names that were common to all Christians such as believers, saints, disciples and Christians. Some were called Corinthian believers and some were called Ephesian believers, etc. but this was only to distinguish where they lived. As we see this truth from the Bible should we not attempt to get back to gathering once again simply as believers and be known as the church or assembly of saints in the particular city where we live?
Interesting thread, and interesting post zedzul. It's interesting (did I use that word already?), but I did a little quick study the other day on the early church, and came up with a few verses that give a little bit of a picture (I wanted to do a thread on it sometime, and maybe will yet, but here they are):

Colossians 3:12 ¶ Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Ephesians 4:1 ¶ I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2 ¶ With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Ephesians 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
21 ¶ Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
Galatians 6:1 ¶ Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
2 Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
1 Corinthians 12:12 ¶ For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
………………
25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
1 Peter 3:8 ¶ Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
9 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
2 Corinthians 13:11 ¶ Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.
James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
Matthew 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
Matthew 18:15 ¶ Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Philippians 1:27 ¶ Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;
Philippians 2:1 ¶ If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,
2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
Romans 12: 4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
…………
10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
Romans 15:5 ¶ Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:
6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Looking over these verse, I was impressed with the unity, love, and accountability of the early church. They weren't just meeting on Sunday, maybe saying hi to their by-sitter, listening to an inspiring message and leaving for the week... no, it was their life. They were one... admonishing each other to faithfulness, dwelling in the unity of the Spirit. Suffering with their brother, rejoicing along with him.

Humility, accountability, & unity..

Old 02-06-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Humility, accountability, & unity..
[/color]
Lord, forgive us for losing our focus.

Thanks cg81. Another stellar post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity