Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 10:43 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times

Advertisements

I recently read this somewhere (forgot where) and had not heard it before.

Always thought the title "Virgin Mary" just referred to her at the time of Jesus' birth.

Wonder how Joseph felt about that, if so.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:54 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Yes to your question.

Joseph was fine with it as it was the plan all along. They had both made a vow of celibacy.

It's where we get the term Josephite marriage.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:59 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Not a Catholic, but this idea is clearly wrong. The Bible mentions Jesus's (half) brothers (Mark 6:3, Matt 12:46, Luke 8:19, Gal 1:19).

Furthermore, it would be wrong for her to remain one while married, as the Bible commands married couples to have sex (1 Cor 7:3-5).

Old 01-06-2022, 11:01 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Yes to your question.

Joseph was fine with it as it was the plan all along. They had both made a vow of celibacy.

It's where we get the term Josephite marriage.
Nothing in Scripture indicates that, the apostles certainly didn't teach it, and Scripture tells us that Jesus had brothers and sisters, James and Jude being two of them.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Not a Catholic, but this idea is clearly wrong. The Bible mentions Jesus's (half) brothers (Mark 6:3, Matt 12:46, Luke 8:19, Gal 1:19).
Joseph was either a widower who had children from a previous wife, or those "brothers" of Jesus listed were actually more distant relations such as cousins.

The Aramaic language spoken by Jesus had no word for "cousin". In order to describe a cousin, you would have to say something like "the son of my father's brother". Since that's a pain, they usually just used the same word for "brother" (ܘܐܚܘܗܝ) to describe a cousin.

Quote:
Furthermore, it would be wrong for her to remain one while married, as the Bible commands married couples to have sex (1 Cor 7:3-5).
1 Corinthians 7:5-7: Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

Some "command"

Old 01-06-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Nothing in Scripture indicates that,
Yes it does. Mary and Joseph were already betrothed when the angel came to Mary. Why would she ask "how can this be since I am a virgin" if she expected to soon have sexual relations with Joseph?

Biblical Proof that Mary and Joseph made a vow of virginity

Quote:
the apostles certainly didn't teach it,
How do you know?

Quote:
and Scripture tells us that Jesus had brothers and sisters, James and Jude being two of them.
See above

Old 01-06-2022, 11:21 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Joseph was either a widower who had children from a previous wife, or those "brothers" of Jesus listed were actually more distant relations such as cousins.

The Aramaic language spoken by Jesus had no word for "cousin". In order to describe a cousin, you would have to say something like "the son of my father's brother". Since that's a pain, they usually just used the same word for "brother" (ܘܐܚܘܗܝ) to describe a cousin.

An idea for which there is no biblical support.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 7:5-7: Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.
Quote:

Some "command"
The concession is marriage. Paul acknowledges not all have the same gift of God that he has. Paul says do not deprive one another and allows only a temporary exception. He explicitly says to come together again. Sexless marriages are not countenanced here in any way. Quite the contrary. So the standard is, it is good not to marry. But if you do marry, then sex is commanded.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
An idea for which there is no biblical support.
Does the Bible teach that in order for something to be believed, it must have "biblical support"? If so, where does it teach that?

Quote:
The concession is marriage. Paul acknowledges not all have the same gift of God that he has. Paul says do not deprive one another and allows only a temporary exception. He explicitly says to come together again. Sexless marriages are not countenanced here in any way. Quite the contrary. So the standard is, it is good not to marry. But if you do marry, the sex is commanded.
This is your interpretation. Why is your interpretation more trustworthy than that of the Fathers and the successors to the Apostles?

Old 01-06-2022, 11:27 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Yes it does. Mary and Joseph were already betrothed when the angel came to Mary. Why would she ask "how can this be since I am a virgin" if she expected to soon have sexual relations with Joseph?

Biblical Proof that Mary and Joseph made a vow of virginity
Because they hadn't had sex? She was a virgin. But no, there's no reason to believe that they had decided to get married and have a sexless marriage.
Quote:

How do you know?

No record of it. In order to suggest they did, we need to have some sort of evidence.
Quote:

See above
I'll answer that:

Quote:

We don't have any writings of Jesus to go by.

Mark recorded Jesus referring to his brothers in Mark 3:33-34. Luke also recorded the incident in Luke 8:19-21. They wrote in Greek, and used the word "adelphos". It means brother. It's used elsewhere to mean brother. It's not cousin.
Quote:

Some "command"
Yes. It's a command. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by mutual consent "for a time" for prayer.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:33 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,385,293 times
Actually Scripture reveals to us God's perspective on Mary, as summed up concisely here by Dr. Hahn in this short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkU016FDSng

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity