Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
TakeAhike,

I am so sorry that you are grieving. The Tennyson poem is beautiful, as it speaks of hope. Tennyson speaks in the poem of his faith, and the hope that he shall, in fact, see God when he dies. You ask whether the narrator will see his Pilot face to face, or whether he will spend eternity separated by mortal sin. If we are to believe and trust in Tennyson's words, then yes: What he is saying is that he does believe he will see his Pilot.

He's counting on it.

Take gentle care.
Those are the words I needed to hear.

I will begin to read Tennyson. The entry at Wikipedia intrigued me. It seems he wrote this poem after a long illness and instructed his son to always have it placed at the end of his anthologies.

Now I must know more.

I went for a walk with my dog and things seemed clearer to me. Only God knows how 'the best intentions' got so terribly skewed. I have known for several decades that my path is the 'Road Less Traveled'.

I have no further doubts about what I must now do---begin again in a better way to share what I have learned.

It seems that from online discussions all over the web that my brother and I were not alone in our spiritual confusion. I happened to find a church led by a minister who explained Christianity very simply and plainly. 'Others have called you servant, but I have called you Friend.' LOL--he had much more to say but that worked for me. He also cautioned against the paralysis of analysis and there is no doubt in my mind that had this minister known of anyone's confusion he would have done all in his power to comfort, strengthen and guide them to Christ's infinite love and mercy. W. Frank Harrington. Perhaps the greatest blessing I have received.

I will learn more about cancer and offer what solace I can to those touched by this tragic disease.

(((Amazing Grace)))

eta --
This one seems to provide further insight to 'Crossing the Bar'.
In Memoriam A

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-28-2008 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
I offer these words to you in honor of your brother.

I Am There

I am the breeze that kisses your cheek.
I am the sun that warms your face.

When you look at the purple evening sky, it is me.
When you see a majestic mountain, it is me.

When the birds sweetly sing, it is my voice.
When the water gently laps against the shore, it is my heartbeat.

I am the green grass against your feet.
I am the refreshing shade of summer.

In the stars, you see my eyes.
In the blue sky, you see my body.

Feel the air that surrounds you, I am there.
Feel the love in your heart, I am there.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:16 PM

Thanks, ptsum and everyone.

I think things will go well tomorrow. At least I will be more in control of my emotions and words.

I found this quote by G. K. Chesterton--
“To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.”

A few kind words here and there would have made such a difference.

)
I will keep this page of Irish sayings handy. God Bless the Irish they have a way with words.
Irish sayings and blessings

Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,545 times
I typed a long note to you then I deleted it.
No one knows anothers heart only God knows the true intent, don't judge your brother.
My heart and prayers go out to you.
I pray God will comfort you.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:42 AM

738 posts, read 1,883,831 times
"My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong" (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

May Our Heavenly Father Comfort you and your family,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you,

Old 05-29-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
I typed a long note to you then I deleted it.
No one knows anothers heart only God knows the true intent, don't judge your brother.
My heart and prayers go out to you.
I pray God will comfort you.

I didn't judge my brother. Other family members, with some limited perspective on many things judged him harshly and judge me harshly. I am working toward forgiveness but it is not easy. They are 'conservative' Christians who seem to be focused on the Old Testament. I sometimes wonder how it is possible but there are many who share such beliefs and can justify them with scripture.

In one of my previous posts I mentioned M. Scott Peck's 'The Road Less Traveled' if you are familiar with that book then you will understand something of my beliefs. Anyone who has endured family dysfunctions which lead to self-destructive behaviors/sin, if you will, develops a broader Faith.
I share many of my brother's issues--same parents. I sought assistance with my problems but he was younger and was more severely affected.

Perhaps Love - Love Lyrics Love Songs

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-29-2008 at 01:06 AM..

Old 05-29-2008, 03:57 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post

I am working toward forgiveness but it is not easy.

In one of my previous posts I mentioned M. Scott Peck's 'The Road Less Traveled' if you are familiar with that book then you will understand something of my beliefs. Anyone who has endured family dysfunctions which lead to self-destructive behaviors/sin, if you will, develops a broader Faith.

"Our wills are ours, we know not how;
Our wills are ours, to make them thine."

(From your previous post)

I've read Peck, and am more than familiar with familial dysfunction. On a daily basis, when listening to those who sit before me, honoring me with their trust for those 50 minutes each week, I have often thought how the task of forgiveness is seemingly such a monumental task...

--And yet our wills are ours, even though we "know not how" and I suspect forgiveness begins with patience.

With ourselves. To be patient with oneself...

In order to transform one's will.

The process happens invisably.

But it can, and does happen.

Take gentle care.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-29-2008 at 05:07 AM..

Old 05-30-2008, 04:25 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Default Today, Friday:

TakeAhike:

Just to let you know someone is thinking of you, and hopes that you are somehow managing to:

Take gentle care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity