Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 04:59 PM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Yes, that is a fun show to watch. BUT You know as well as I do, that there is a "trick" behind every illusion.

Now, I have never heard of Tyler Henry. I have no idea what he is up to at all.

I did however spend a few years in the "New Age Movement " in the mid 80s early 90's. I visited with various psychics, including channelers, and this was my final conclusion:

Evidence is abundant. Most famous is probably James Randi's CARLOS HOAX
This is a statement about how easily duped people can be by psychics and new age con artists.

There has been more valid criticism that evidence that Jane Roberts hoaxed all the SETH sessions.

Not only has a psychic or channeler never ever succeeded in providing me with any "Secret" or "personal' information, but they have likewise never been able to detect my Baloney questions Example, I never had an older brother, much less one that was killed in a shipwreck, BUT any psychic or channeler still is more than happy to tell me that he has a message from this person from the "Afterlife" BUT Again, no such person exists.

A person who really had some degree of psychic abilities would say " Well, you are lying you never had an older brother" That has not yet happened.

And The Randi foundation has prizes to any psychic who can read the contents of a secret envelope. But none have ever succeeded.

Or won the lottery....have not seen a headline that says '"psychic wins powerball"

In the end, there is not credible evidence that anyone is channeling anything other than money out of someone else's purse.

I'm no expert but here's what I can say....there can be 50 lawyers in one room and only 3 of them really knows what they are doing and can win your case. Get my point? I have no doubt there are MANY psychics and mediums out there who ARE conartists and feed on those who are gullible. BUT that's the challenge. Everyone gets so fed up with all the conartists that if someone truly authentic comes out of the blue and tries to be real, that someone automatically gets called a conartist.

Finding that one authentic and real person is like finding a needle in a haystack. Sometimes you may never find it and you're just sitting there thinking "screw it. all mediums are fakes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 05:04 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I'm no expert but here's what I can say....there can be 50 lawyers in one room and only 3 of them really knows what they are doing and can win your case. Get my point? I have no doubt there are MANY psychics and mediums out there who ARE conartists and feed on those who are gullible. BUT that's the challenge. Everyone gets so fed up with all the conartists that if someone truly authentic comes out of the blue and tries to be real, that someone automatically gets called a conartist.

Finding that one authentic and real person is like finding a needle in a haystack. Sometimes you may never find it and you're just sitting there thinking "screw it. all mediums are fakes."
What I am saying though is that I have yet to find, in person, any psychic who has shown any evidence of having true psychic powers. Much as I have tried, I have found only evidence of people out to make money and trick others.

Even in the realm of magic and illusions, mental tricks are something that Always have a gimmick or secret. Same with faith healing, phonies like Benny Hinn and the like all have some trickery behind the show.

I think what we need is to see one get the Randi prize, win the lottery, or even demonstrate ESP in a controlled setting...which so far, has yet to ever be done.

Which makes the Mediums and clairvoyants, while still entertaining......

Old 04-05-2023, 10:26 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I've posted this topic before but I thought I'd post it again...

There are a lot of mediums and clairvoyants that exist. A lot of celebrities that claim they can communicate with the dead. Tyler Henry being a popular one I know about.

Not sure if anyone has watched Tyler Henry on YouTube but he's been able to impress a lot of skeptics who get readings from him. He tells his client things about them that they say nobody would ever know.

In the bible, there are many verses that says anyone who goes to a medium instead of God will be punished so it's clear that God discourages going to a medium.

I remember in one episode, Tyler is asked about this. Tyler said he does and says there is a difference between mediums in the bible and mediums now.

What do you all think? Is what Tyler and other celebrities do against the Christian faith? And does Tyler prove that there is indeed something on the "other side"? Is there some spiritual world that exists that only some people can communicate with? Tyler has admitted that he has no idea what's beyond the grave, but he does admit we do continue to exist in some form after death.
I've never seen a medium or a clairvoyant that seemed like anything other than a 2 bit shyster doing cold readings.

That said, it's an historical fact that God's people have sought out such folks to place their faith in rather than God's Word.

Old 04-05-2023, 10:53 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've never seen a medium or a clairvoyant that seemed like anything other than a 2 bit shyster doing cold readings.

That said, it's an historical fact that God's people have sought out such folks to place their faith in rather than God's Word.
Sadly, you have done the same thing by placing your faith in our ancestors' interpretations of scriptures using their belief in a wrathful God, instead of reading and interpreting them using the "mind of Christ" (God's Holy Spirit of agape love). Jesus is the ONE AND ONLY Word of God (Logos).

Old 04-05-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sadly, you have done the same thing by placing your faith in our ancestors' interpretations of scriptures using their belief in a wrathful God, instead of reading and interpreting them using the "mind of Christ" (God's Holy Spirit of agape love). Jesus is the ONE AND ONLY Word of God (Logos).
How do you know you've got the "mind of Christ" and not the "mind of Bob"?

Old 04-05-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
How do you know you've got the "mind of Christ" and not the "mind of Bob"?
Because Jesus described it and personally revealed its character as agape love and forgiveness unambiguously on the Cross under the most egregious "sinning" against God our ancestors did. If you can find any wrath or vengeance in God, you must have the "mind of Bob."

Old 04-05-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because Jesus described it and personally revealed its character as agape love and forgiveness unambiguously on the Cross under the most egregious "sinning" against God our ancestors did.
When and where did Jesus say this?

Old 04-05-2023, 11:28 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I did have one once tell me something she could not have known, and it was too specific to be a guess. It so startled me that I have little memory of what she said after.

I agree that most are just playing games and telling people what they want to hear.

The last one was a hoot. It was a crystal and psychic fair. I went to get some jewelry, and I saw one of the readers was free. She asked if my mother had died--good guess, I have grey hair--and said she had been trying to get hold of me. I laughed because two nights before, I had a dream.that my mother was calling me collect on a pay phone. She sounded far away, and said she just wanted to say hi but really hadn't yet figured out the phone system. Cute, but no evidence to me of the psychic's abilities.

Then she told me that not only angels but dragons could be called upon for help if I needed them. The dragons have been coming up from Atlantis since 2000, you see. Most of them are young and very playful.

I went home and told my stepson, and thereafter whenever I left for my daily walk in the conservation area across the street, he would yell, "say hello to the dragons!" Haven't seen any so far...

Old 04-05-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
When and where did Jesus say this?
Jesus DID IT!! What is your problem? Was Jesus (God) wrathful and vengeful on the Cross when our brutal and savage ancestors "sinned" so horribly against Him??? Do you have NO ability to see the obvious?? Our ancestors couldn't because they had a completely erroneous belief about God.

You would have no excuse if you hadn't been indoctrinated into the asinine rationale that God needed to have Jesus crucified to "pay" for us sinful humans!! I'm sorry but I cannot understand how such an irrational and barbaric belief has survived these many millennia!!! It is an enigma.

Old 04-25-2023, 12:11 AM

12 posts, read 3,854 times
I am now at age 78 a Medium for God, who comes across as non-judgmental and very gentle.
I trust this answers any Biblical criticism of this general ability. Presumably the Bible (which is not the word of God) refers to shysters, of which there are quite a few.
The Bible is the word of various human authors, with mistakes and mis-translations. Only if God overrides our free will would it be the word of God, and God would never do that. QED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity