Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 09:08 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times

Advertisements

I always thought Christians were happy people until I got into a relationship with one. The man I used to be with claimed to be a Godly person accepting Jesus as his personal Savior. And believed Jesus died for our sins so we could have eternal life. When I learned he never drank, smoked, or did drugs, he seemed like the perfect catch. He was also still a virgin. So, I had thought I was dating this wonderful guy until his true colors began to shine. He was a wolf underneath sheep’s clothing.

I was in for a rude awakening. Underneath all his self-righteousness, he was an angry man and would explode at times smashing things to the point of breaking something or punching a whole in the wall.

His misogynistic attitude towards women reeks believing women are beneath men.

Even after our breakup, he couldn’t handle us just being friends like mature adults. He would still get angry with me. So unfortunately, I eventually had to go no-contact with him for my safety and well-being.

He lost me forever. And I have no doubt in my mind, he’ll find another woman and take out his anger at her. Before I blocked him for good, he has talked with the Pastor of his Church about his anger issues. Idk how many sessions but it’s definitely wasn’t working.

Unfortunately, anger seems to be his only coping mechanism when frustrated/stressed etc…. I tried suggesting options like exercise of some sort and he only had excuses not doing anything about it

Last edited by HappyFarm34; 05-25-2023 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 10:12 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
People are people first and Christians second. And people have sin natures and their individual personalities and characteristics. Just being a Christian does not automatically mean that you are going to be happy. I can't remember the last time I was happy. And it doesn't mean that you are going to be a nice person or an honest person. You haven't been conned until you've been conned by a Christian. Christians can be the nicest people you would ever want to meet and other Christians can be the worst people you would ever want to meet.

A person who has received Christ as Savior has been given a new nature but he still retains his old nature. And if he continues to live according to his old nature then the characteristics of his old nature will determine how he treats others.

Old 05-25-2023, 10:34 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I always thought Christians were happy people until I got into a relationship with one. The man I used to be with claimed to be a Godly person accepting Jesus as his personal Savior. And believed Jesus died for our sins so we could have eternal life. When I learned he never drank, smoked, or did drugs, he seemed like the perfect catch. He was also still a virgin. So, I had thought I was dating this wonderful guy until his true colors began to shine. He was a wolf underneath sheep’s clothing.

I was in for a rude awakening. Underneath all his self-righteousness, he was an angry man and would explode at times smashing things to the point of breaking something or punching a whole in the wall.

Even after our breakup, he couldn’t handle us just being friends like mature adults. He would still get angry with me. So unfortunately, I eventually had to go no-contact with him for my safety and well-being.

He lost me forever. And I have no doubt in my mind, he’ll find another woman and take out his anger at her. Before I blocked him for good, he has talked with the Pastor of his Church about his anger issues. Idk how many sessions but it’s definitely wasn’t working.

Unfortunately, anger seems to be his only coping mechanism when frustrated/stressed etc…. I tried suggesting options like exercise of some sort and he only had excuses not doing anything about it
For the same reason that some atheists are jerks. Jerks are jerks.

Old 05-25-2023, 10:37 AM

11,062 posts, read 7,135,481 times
We do some who bear no resemblance to Christ, call themselves "Christians"? And why do others stupidly believe them? Those are the real questions.

Anyone can call themselves anything. Does a "birdman" fly? Of course not.

Actions reveal the true heart, mind, and character of a person. Get off the useless words and ID badges, and get to their actions.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:28 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:

They never knew Christ,
nor He them
believing instead in the 'ol pile of s### under a white sheet trick actually works.
Without holiness, no one will see the face of God! Heb 12:14

Old 05-25-2023, 01:01 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:

Like everyone else, Christians are subject to their own attitudes and demeanors.

I would think that Christians should at least have some joy from time to time just from abiding in Christ... unless they are not abiding in Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
People are people first and Christians second. And people have sin natures and their individual personalities and characteristics. Just being a Christian does not automatically mean that you are going to be happy. I can't remember the last time I was happy. And it doesn't mean that you are going to be a nice person or an honest person. You haven't been conned until you've been conned by a Christian. Christians can be the nicest people you would ever want to meet and other Christians can be the worst people you would ever want to meet.

A person who has received Christ as Savior has been given a new nature but he still retains his old nature. And if he continues to live according to his old nature then the characteristics of his old nature will determine how he treats others.
That's interesting...

Old 05-25-2023, 02:53 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:

I have known Christians that have told me how they struggle with rage.

The condition appears to have many causes, none of which are a valid excuse for abusing others.

Being a Christian is not easy work, particularly if we are determined to excorsise our " demons ".

Old 05-25-2023, 04:36 PM

553 posts, read 171,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
They never knew Christ,
nor He them
believing instead in the 'ol pile of s### under a white sheet trick actually works.
Without holiness, no one will see the face of God! Heb 12:14
That's mighty judgmental. I knew a Roman Catholic priest who often exhibited a vicious streak. He was moved quickly from parish to parish until he was finally medically diagnosed with a thyroid issue. Once treated he normalized quite a bit.

Hypothyroidism is caused by an underperforming thyroid gland. The problem
progresses very slowly at first and may, therefore, have been in existence for a
long time, before detection. In fact, the psychiatric problems that stem from
this disorder may be the reason as to why the dysfunction is diagnosed in
the first place.

https://thyroidnation.com/psychiatri...yroid-disease/

Old 05-25-2023, 06:45 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:

Well I failed to dodge a similar bullet with my first wife. "Just marry a good Christian girl", they said, "and everything will work out". Too bad they never really defined "good Christian" beyond "accepted Jesus and goes to church" and as you suggest, doesn't have addiction issues. Too bad I never got any info about the real world and how people function in it from my upbringing or the church. We were married at 19, which in itself was a questionable decision.

In her case, she was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and borderline personality disorder, but both she and the church were suspicious of mental health care. So prayer was deployed, to no avail. She didn't want to accept that she had disordered thinking or needed help with it, anyway.

Because of the borderline personality disorder, one of the features of which is usually what's call "rageaholism", extreme anger was in play with her also. I finally found the good sense to take the kids and leave her after I woke up in the middle of the night with her standing over me with a butcher knife.

Oh well! Fifteen years of my life I'll never get back. I had two children from that union, but one of them succumbed to schizoid personality disorder, a common pass-on from a schizophrenic parent. He died at age 30 -- indirectly because of his own disordered thinking.

So I learned the hard way that accepting Jesus and being devoted to church is no indication of what kind of life partner someone is going to be. Regardless of what you think that says, or doesn't say, about Christianity, or about that particular sort of church -- it is certainly not a useful input into mate selection. I mean, I suppose it's better than "marry a cocaine addict" or something, but it's certainly no guarantee of success.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:40 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Good Post from Michael Way.

In the Great Commission, Matthew 28:18-20, in part, make disciples, teaching them to obey everything I (Jesus) have commanded you.

When one repent , accepts Jesus as Lord and Savior, you must learn to walk in your new nature. It's a One Day at a Time. Vital to be in a church, small group to learn to live a different way of life.

A daily choice, first thing in the morning, read Scripture, a devotion. Ask for His will to be done that day. Have a struggle, addiction, something out of control, seek professional help, you may need to seek someone who may give you tough love, choice, do you want to change.

OP, wise lady. One doesn't have to accept unacceptable behavior !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity