Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 05:13 AM

492 posts, read 143,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is believing in Jesus without belonging to a church or attending services enough? I don’t recall reading in the Book of Acts about people who worshipped in their own way by sleeping late, going to the lake, communing with nature, etc.
The Church of Jesus Christ is not a building that you go to.

The Church is made up of the faithful throughout the WORLD.

These man made fellowships in America have failed us. The success of any church has always been the type of folks it produces.

Well in America where I live Churches have failed. We have probably one of the most selfish , unloving , uncaring populace in the world. Right here in the USA.

When you go to any large mega church, look at the congregation.

How many folks do you think are actually saved there ? Ask folks if they have even read the entire bible. Few have and some even hold the bible as myth. So, let them believe what ever they want.

Entertainment is the God of America.

Most so called churches are just social groups with entertainment.

Now if you have not even read the bible even once, how could you possibly even know what the Preacher says is true?

You can not. Ignorance of Scripture has served Lucifer very well. Just look at us.

Most Folks will go into Perdition.

The Creator God himself says so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 12:28 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
The Church of Jesus Christ is not a building that you go to.

The Church is made up of the faithful throughout the WORLD.

These man made fellowships in America have failed us. The success of any church has always been the type of folks it produces.

Well in America where I live Churches have failed. We have probably one of the most selfish , unloving , uncaring populace in the world. Right here in the USA.

When you go to any large mega church, look at the congregation.

How many folks do you think are actually saved there ? Ask folks if they have even read the entire bible. Few have and some even hold the bible as myth. So, let them believe what ever they want.

Entertainment is the God of America.

Most so called churches are just social groups with entertainment.

Now if you have not even read the bible even once, how could you possibly even know what the Preacher says is true?

You can not. Ignorance of Scripture has served Lucifer very well. Just look at us.

Most Folks will go into Perdition.

The Creator God himself says so.
When two or more are gathered.

OUR Father who art......

Forgive US OUR trespasses as WE ........

Lead US not into.........

Private revelation and inspiration should be shared. And spiritual discernment is best not done alone.

I don't believe on-line churches are sufficient ( which is what we have here )

We need to stand face to face.

Old 05-29-2023, 01:42 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
When two or more are gathered.

OUR Father who art......

Forgive US OUR trespasses as WE ........

Lead US not into.........

Private revelation and inspiration should be shared. And spiritual discernment is best not done alone.

I don't believe on-line churches are sufficient ( which is what we have here )

We need to stand face to face.
Actually, Face to Face just emphasizes the physical, NOT the spiritual. The lack of any physical referent for the posters here actually enforces more spiritual interactions, IMO.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually, Face to Face just emphasizes the physical, NOT the spiritual. The lack of any physical referent for the posters here actually enforces more spiritual interactions, IMO.
This may be where we have some fundamental differences.

I don't believe you are a Trinitarian. I am.
And believe the doctrine in this case, speaks to the idea of unity.

We are spiritual yes. But we're also terrestrial.

As you have so eloquently stated in the past, this existence is "school".

And for me at least, worship is better done in community.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:39 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
This is where there is a deep divide between you and those brought up in religious organisations and communities

There is definitely a time and place for face to face and the more individual and personal and private where people can feel safe

What goes on here is ‘public’ and a lot of it is very reactionary

I have had to work on being able to separate my own personal self and beliefs in God and reliance on Him from the constant ‘battling’ that goes on here (and it’s not been easy even though it has taught me a lot)

Old 05-29-2023, 02:43 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
This may be where we have some fundamental differences.

I don't believe you are a Trinitarian. I am.
And believe the doctrine in this case, speaks to the idea of unity.

We are spiritual yes. But we're also terrestrial.

As you have so eloquently stated in the past, this existence is "school".

And for me at least, worship is better done in community.
I think we see things pretty similar

A difference is that for me to be able to ‘see’ the bigger picture I have had to disassociate from being part of the organisational

Old 05-29-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I think we see things pretty similar

A difference is that for me to be able to ‘see’ the bigger picture I have had to disassociate from being part of the organisational
Absolutely. I don't believe it's either or.

I have spent days at retreat. No talking no interactions except meals and services. And found them to be among my most spiritually " productive " times.

I have also seen the profound dangers and consequences of strictly private and solo worship and study.

Iron sharpens iron.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:52 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Me either, but people will find all sorts of excuses to not assemble.

We are not to forsake the assembling of ourselves with one another. God’s people have always assembled in both Old and New Testament times. Some consider assembling with friends on the forum ok. I do not. We are to worship on the first day of the week where we commune with one another (share the Lord’s Supper). It is how we show the Lord’s death till He comes. We are to sing praises to God together, and give as we prosper to support the local congregation. We are to pray together. I don’t see that happening in a forum setting.
So if you are a Christian that believes that a person can lose their salvation...

Can a person lose their salvation by not going to church (or assembling) enough provided they don't actually stop believing?

Old 05-29-2023, 03:01 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Quote:
IMO, also.

Old 05-29-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
This is where there is a deep divide between you and those brought up in religious organisations and communities

There is definitely a time and place for face to face and the more individual and personal and private where people can feel safe

What goes on here is ‘public’ and a lot of it is very reactionary

I have had to work on being able to separate my own personal self and beliefs in God and reliance on Him from the constant ‘battling’ that goes on here (and it’s not been easy even though it has taught me a lot)
I should point out that I did not grow up attending a congregation. In fact I'm very much an introvert, and would much rather study and worship alone. Congregating does not come naturally to me.
Nevertheless, I know the benefits outweigh my own desires.

Believe me, I've been in many a sermon or Bible study, or class where I was squirming in my chair.

But ultimately, it has always been beneficial. Not necessarily the way I predicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity