Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:02 PM

17 posts, read 63,099 times

Advertisements

Are there any verses that God specifically talks about being jealous for his own glory? I've read Ex 20:5, Dt. 4:24, Jos 24:19, Ps 79:5 and many, many more. But these don't talk about being jealous for his own glory.

Any ideas?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,620,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsam View Post
Are there any verses that God specifically talks about being jealous for his own glory? I've read Ex 20:5, Dt. 4:24, Jos 24:19, Ps 79:5 and many, many more. But these don't talk about being jealous for his own glory.

Any ideas?

Thanks all!
I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean. Can you elaborate on "jealous for His own glory"?

Old 05-30-2008, 02:54 PM

17 posts, read 63,099 times
I'm not sure how to word it..

Ok, we do everything in our life to glorify Him right? Is there any place in the Bible that leads us to believe he's jealous for this glory? Any better?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,620,576 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how to word it..

Ok, we do everything in our life to glorify Him right? Is there any place in the Bible that leads us to believe he's jealous for this glory? Any better?

Thanks.
Well, the scriptures that you said that you read are very good examples of that. I can give you a good example of how Paul was experiencing godly jealousy, but I'm still not clear what you are looking for. And the 1st of the Ten Commandments makes it pretty clear He is jealous and will not tolerate idols. Exodus 20:2..."You shall have no other gods before me."

In 2 Corinthians Chapter 11:1-2....Paul is speaking of himself to the Corinthian believers and he views this as foolish boasting but needs to do this in order to compare his own ministry with that of the false apostles. Paul cannot bear the thought that there might be any rival to Christ and His gospel:

"I hope you will put up with a little of my foolishness, but you are already doing that. I am jealous for you with a Godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to Him."

Maybe jealous isn't the right word you are looking for? Hope that helps.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,122 times
First of all, you have to look at how the word "jealous" is being used. Exodus 20:5 doesn't mean jealous in the same way as the sin of jealousy in Galatians 5:20. We use the word "jealous" to mean that we're envious of something that someone else has that we don't, like a talent or a material thing. In Exodus 20:5, God is jealous when we give something that belongs to Him to someone else.

Exodus 20:4-5, "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God..."

People were making images and idols to bow down and worship. Worship, praise and adoration belong only to God because only God is worthy of it. (Celebrities just gasped at that!) Look at it this way: If a man sees another man flirt with his wife, he gets jealous. This isn't a sinful jealousy because he has the right to be jealous. The husband is the only one with the right to flirt with his wife.

So, God is rightly jealous when we put anything before Him in our lives. (Because anything in our lives that comes before Him is an idol and what we truly worship.) That's the Godly jealousy mentioned in 2 Corinthians 11:2, "I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy..."

Old 05-31-2008, 06:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,449 times
Quote:

Any ideas?

Thanks all!
No more than one I think of, right now at the top of my hat"
"God is a jealous God, visiting the iniquities of the fathers to the third...
generation...(this is paraphrased) forgive me for not looking up the passages
they are on the other pc.
But we can take a look at the condition of the world that we live in,
God will allow this evil, because of the hardness of the hearts of men and rebellion and all kinds of evil, to happen.. to show us that He "indeed will not share his glory with no man
Just my .02 cents

Old 05-31-2008, 08:15 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,642 times
Quote:
Any ideas?
Thanks all!
Having read the Old & New testament it is obvious to me, that each testament is referring to a different God. In the Old testament (old Judaic code book of ethics) God is characterized as an Ethnocentric, Jealous, Vengeful, Warlike God. In contrast to the New Testament where Christ tell us that God is Forgiving, Loving, Peace seeking and an all enclusive God. (Everyone in this world are his children, not just to a certain nation or group of people). The Old testament should be kept for reference in one's library. The New testament on the other hand is where one can find ways to save one's soul. Remember Jesus said the Kingdom of God is within you (already) and to Love one another. Everything else comes a distant second.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,376,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Having read the Old & New testament it is obvious to me, that each testament is referring to a different God. In the Old testament (old Judaic code book of ethics) God is characterized as an Ethnocentric, Jealous, Vengeful, Warlike God. In contrast to the New Testament where Christ tell us that God is Forgiving, Loving, Peace seeking and an all enclusive God. (Everyone in this world are his children, not just to a certain nation or group of people). The Old testament should be kept for reference in one's library. The New testament on the other hand is where one can find ways to save one's soul. Remember Jesus said the Kingdom of God is within you (already) and to Love one another. Everything else comes a distant second.
I don't think so. I believe there is only one God and He wrote both the Old and New Testaments. Isaiah 43:10 says there is only one God.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:21 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I don't think so. I believe there is only one God and He wrote both the Old and New Testaments. Isaiah 43:10 says there is only one God.
Who knows how many hundreds or thousands of people over various milleniums have written the Old Testament. As far as the New Testament the early Christian (Catholic) church has lockhorn with its mayor competitor the Eastern Orthodox church and a number of minor ones of the time over what scriptures to be incorporated and which were determined heretical. The latter ones were burnt and declared illegal. However recently there have been a number of "Heretical" scriptures that have been discovered, and that in turn gives new light of what some very early Christians actually believed.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:19 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,489,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
But that is the whole point of Jesus' death on the cross. God poured out his wrath [Ethnocentric, Jealous, Vengeful, Warlike] on Christ. This is what the payment for sins means.

John 3:16 says "that he [God] gave his one and only Son [Jesus]" God poured all of his wrath in full measure that ours sins deserve on Jesus. There is no more that is required for the payment of sin.

The options now are: John 3:16 "that whoever believes in him [Jesus] shall not perish [go to hell - outer darkness for LDS] but have eternal life." [Heaven]

Believes [is the same as saying] "Faith not works" = everlasting life

The purpose of the OT sacrifices was to point to the NT sacrifice - Jesus.

That is Gods plan for the salvation for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity