Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 09:21 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times

Advertisements

Empathy Matters.
Does it matters more than being right or wrong? More than being good or bad?
Does it matter more than being a Christian?
Can anyone be a Christian without empathy?
Does being empathetic prevent us from being
judgmental?
From strong beliefs? Even absolute beliefs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 09:56 AM

13,618 posts, read 7,932,752 times
I don't know about empathy. It's an emotion/feeling over which we do not often have control.

What really matters is charity. We can practice charity towards someone whether we feel any empathy towards them or not.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:04 AM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Empathy Matters.
judgmental?

I believe that we can look at Jesus and we see that Jesus was emphatic. Emphathy is an expression of love. Jesus loved people and understood everyone and everyone's situation. He did not must empathize and leave it at that. He brought change. He loved us enough to speak the truth and did not waver on speaking truth. He is the Truth. He empathized with our lost condition gave His life for us. He showed us how to rise above and get out of our lost condition through Him. God bless.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I don't know about empathy. It's an emotion/feeling over which we do not often have control.

What really matters is charity. We can practice charity towards someone whether we feel any empathy towards them or not.
I think you may be thinking of sympathy as opposed to empathy.

I can be empathetic without being sympathetic and visa versa.

For example I may sympathize with someone's back pain. Without fully appreciating the affects of chronic pain.

I could also empathize with the same person, but not sympathize with their view or reaction to their pain.

I think.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:31 AM

11,094 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Empathy is generally helpful and productive, but I wouldn't necessarily say it is a requirement for Christianity.

It's definitely better to have empathy than, say, meanness, insult, and division. Christ was extremely empathetic, so it is a big plus.

P.S. 'Right and wrong' and 'good and bad' are highly subjective, and tend to create problems in their use. We should be specific instead, and not rely on these vague "crutch' words.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I believe that we can look at Jesus and we see that Jesus was emphatic. Emphathy is an expression of love. Jesus loved people and understood everyone and everyone's situation. He did not must empathize and leave it at that. He brought change. He loved us enough to speak the truth and did not waver on speaking truth. He is the Truth. He empathized with our lost condition gave His life for us. He showed us how to rise above and get out of our lost condition through Him. God bless.
I also believe ( I think ) that empathy is radical intimacy.

To be truly empathetic, requires an understanding of someone on a deep level.
It requires a degree of intimacy.

It requires a concern for others. Or at least a basic curiosity about another's humanity.

It is Christ like.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Empathy is generally helpful and productive, but I wouldn't necessarily say it is a requirement for Christianity.

It's definitely better to have empathy than, say, meanness, insult, and division. Christ was extremely empathetic, so that is a big plus.

P.S. 'Right and wrong' and 'good and bad' are highly subjective, and tend to create more problems in their use. Should be specific instead.
Is I understand my own Christianity, or my desire to be more like Christ, to " love my neighbor as myself " empathy is for me a prerequisite .

Old 05-26-2023, 10:39 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Empathy Matters.
judgmental?
Empathy about what?

Of course we should care about those that are in pain, or need. What do you mean by the rest of it? I feel like it's a leading question.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:48 AM

11,094 posts, read 7,154,662 times
You know, it's possible to be empathic to politicians and criminals, so just being "empathic" in and of itself isn't always a great attribute. Like most matters, how it is applied is important and relevant.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Empathy about what?

Of course we should care about those that are in pain, or need. What do you mean by the rest of it? I feel like it's a leading question.
Empathy towards all . Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity