Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 06:12 PM

529 posts, read 185,579 times

Advertisements

My favorite thing about being a Christian is the Love it taught me from a kind and loving King!

My favorite memory was when a church bus would pick me up to go to church, and the adult Christian volunteers on the bus would laugh and sing all the way to church. I was too young to remember what church it was that picked me up but every Sunday I couldn't wait for them to arrive! It was so much fun to be around positive loving people and a memory I will always cherish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 09:22 PM

157 posts, read 89,840 times
Seeing the world for what it really is.

My favorite memory.....it's a tought one. The first time I went to a service after learning how to pray in Church properly. After coming back from that evening service I felt, different, but in a good way, much more at peace.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:29 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,929,892 times
I'm almost embarrassed to say this but my first actual memory - well, it was more of an awakening of 'something spiritual' within me - came from a movie. The two or three times where 'Jesus' appears in the movie Ben Hur gave me - and STILL DOES give me - the shivers in an exciting way. The first scene where Jesus gives water to Judah after his march through the desert and how He humbles the Roman commander simply by staring him down is so profound. Then there is the 'carrying the cross' scene where Jesus stumbles and the good deed is reciprocated when Judah offers HIM water.

Oh, my goodness. What a 'softie' I can be! These scenes welled within me a combination of sadness, joy and of overwhelming love. The appropriate music whenever Jesus appeared also helped create this feeling. Other than that, I don't really have a 'favorite' memory, per se. I do, however, have a number of cherished memories during my 20-some years with the church.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumined View Post
Seeing the world for what it really is.

My favorite memory.....it's a tought one. The first time I went to a service after learning how to pray in Church properly. After coming back from that evening service I felt, different, but in a good way, much more at peace.
Oh that is so nice illumined, thanks for sharing!

Old 06-26-2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I'm almost embarrassed to say this but my first actual memory - well, it was more of an awakening of 'something spiritual' within me - came from a movie. The two or three times where 'Jesus' appears in the movie Ben Hur gave me - and STILL DOES give me - the shivers in an exciting way. The first scene where Jesus gives water to Judah after his march through the desert and how He humbles the Roman commander simply by staring him down is so profound. Then there is the 'carrying the cross' scene where Jesus stumbles and the good deed is reciprocated when Judah offers HIM water.

Oh, my goodness. What a 'softie' I can be! These scenes welled within me a combination of sadness, joy and of overwhelming love. The appropriate music whenever Jesus appeared also helped create this feeling. Other than that, I don't really have a 'favorite' memory, per se. I do, however, have a number of cherished memories during my 20-some years with the church.
Movies can be very inspirational and very moving too, there was a scene from leap of faith when the teen child Boyd was healed from his injuries sustained by a drunk driver that hit him. It makes me cry everytime!

https://youtu.be/Q1vQUG6GFNE

Old 06-27-2023, 01:40 AM

6,803 posts, read 2,929,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High.priestess.Sarah View Post
Movies can be very inspirational and very moving too, there was a scene from leap of faith when the teen child Boyd was healed from his injuries sustained by a drunk driver that hit him. It makes me cry everytime!

https://youtu.be/Q1vQUG6GFNE
I've seen that movie many times and it's the one movie where I actually appreciate Steve Martin! The movie was, to me, quite inspirational in other ways also. This story is about both Jonas' (Martin) conversion as well as a town given hope, even by HIS shady ministry. The ending is great! So too is the music!

A similar ending to that of Boyd being healed from his injuries is found in the 1961 George Hamilton, Mercedes McCambridge, Burt Reynolds, Salome Jens movie, 'Angel Baby'. It's at 1:30:35 if one doesn't want to watch the entire movie, although I would recommend that one does. Actually, watching the entire movie is necessary in order to understand how it reaches this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FlKFmm9qh8&t=333s

Old 06-27-2023, 04:05 AM

12,045 posts, read 6,593,254 times
My favorite thing about being a Christian is the ongoing minute by minute relationship, forgiveness, insight, humbling, and growth with Jesus as my sacred spiritual guide and portal to experience GOD.

My favorite memory is recalling the profoundly fortunate awakening and born-again experience I had at 18 (I’m 71 now) when Jesus came out of the blue asking for a relationship with me. He “saved” me from myself, as I was on a very dark and negative path.
I grew up with atheist and agnostic parents and had never had any spiritual experience before or even curiosity about Christianity, so what a surprise!!

Old 06-27-2023, 07:38 AM

14,905 posts, read 17,208,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High.priestess.Sarah View Post
My favorite thing about being a Christian is the Love it taught me from a kind and loving King!

My favorite memory was when a church bus would pick me up to go to church, and the adult Christian volunteers on the bus would laugh and sing all the way to church. I was too young to remember what church it was that picked me up but every Sunday I couldn't wait for them to arrive! It was so much fun to be around positive loving people and a memory I will always cherish!

My favorite thing about being a Christian is knowing my Father and Jesus His Son, having a relationship with them and walking by faith in them. In my early years, I experienced a lot of depression and self hatred but knowing God and growing in my knowledge and relationship with God brought healing and hope in the realization that God loves me as He loves all of us and wants all of us, that He will eventually have all of us with Him. My favorite memory is when I realized the nature and extent of God's love and purpose for His creation. God bless.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I've seen that movie many times and it's the one movie where I actually appreciate Steve Martin! The movie was, to me, quite inspirational in other ways also. This story is about both Jonas' (Martin) conversion as well as a town given hope, even by HIS shady ministry. The ending is great! So too is the music!

A similar ending to that of Boyd being healed from his injuries is found in the 1961 George Hamilton, Mercedes McCambridge, Burt Reynolds, Salome Jens movie, 'Angel Baby'. It's at 1:30:35 if one doesn't want to watch the entire movie, although I would recommend that one does. Actually, watching the entire movie is necessary in order to understand how it reaches this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FlKFmm9qh8&t=333s
Thanks so much Romulus, I will definitely check out the movie, I didn't know there were similar films to "Leap of Faith". I really liked the story, because each character had a back story to tell, and how they interacted with each other made this movie a treasure to watch!

Old 06-27-2023, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
My favorite thing about being a Christian is the ongoing minute by minute relationship, forgiveness, insight, humbling, and growth with Jesus as my sacred spiritual guide and portal to experience GOD.

My favorite memory is recalling the profoundly fortunate awakening and born-again experience I had at 18 (I’m 71 now) when Jesus came out of the blue asking for a relationship with me. He “saved” me from myself, as I was on a very dark and negative path.
I grew up with atheist and agnostic parents and had never had any spiritual experience before or even curiosity about Christianity, so what a surprise!!
That's a wonderful story mountainrose, thanks for sharing!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity