Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2023, 04:21 PM

5,917 posts, read 3,813,920 times

Advertisements

A Diablo burger would be good right now. Even if it is a little pricey. Good gimmick though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I remember when good Ole conservative Ronald Wilson Reagan was running for president.

Each of his names had six letters, and folks thought Ole Ronnie was the anti christ.

Same old story, same old song and dance.
I remember that. I was still a Christian then but even I was like, this is taking it above, beyond, past crazy into obsession and psychoticism.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:42 PM

20,119 posts, read 13,578,293 times
Quote:
I remember when good Ole conservative Ronald Wilson Reagan was running for president.

Each of his names had six letters, and folks thought Ole Ronnie was the anti christ.

Same old story, same old song and dance.
Lol -- yes indeed, this is called "confirmation bias". If you think it's the end times, you'll drag 666 kicking and screaming out of most anything. For example there are 3 words with 6 letters in the previous sentence -- does that make me the antichrist? Bwah-hah-hah!

Old 08-15-2023, 04:55 PM

18,524 posts, read 9,208,122 times
Back in the 1990's, McDonald's had 8 items priced at 88 cents. No deities seemed to care. Maybe they weren't hungry for an Egg McMuffin.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Back in the 1990's, McDonald's had 8 items priced at 88 cents. No deities seemed to care. Maybe they weren't hungry for an Egg McMuffin.
In "Biblical numerology", 7 is the number of completion or perfection, and 6, being 1 shy of that, is about imperfection. Man was also supposedly created on the 6th day, so it's the number of sinful humanity.

But 3, and things in groups of 3's are also supposed to represent a fullness or full set of something ... so 666 is the ultimate expression of sin.

See how that works? Just make up some significance to any digit that you need for a particular purpose, and you're off to the races.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:09 PM

18,524 posts, read 9,208,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
In "Biblical numerology", 7 is the number of completion or perfection, and 6, being 1 shy of that, is about imperfection. Man was also supposedly created on the 6th day, so it's the number of sinful humanity.

But 3, and things in groups of 3's are also supposed to represent a fullness or full set of something ... so 666 is the ultimate expression of sin.

See how that works? Just make up some significance to any digit that you need for a particular purpose, and you're off to the races.
In Britain, they dial 999 for the emergency services. Surely that's been stirring up some kind of demonic activity in the spirit world for a while now.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanes View Post
​watch the world we live in, bible quote:
3 Knowing this first: That in the last days there shall come deceitful scoffers, walking after their own lusts, (2 Peter 3:3)
And in the first days and the middle days, too. Bad actors are never in short supply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanes View Post
​
global warming, bible quote:
8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun. And it was given unto him to afflict men with heat and fire. (Revelation 16:8)
That could just as well be war, explosions, napalm, etc. And it has been interpreted a dozen different ways in my day. I seem to recall someone declaring it was "clearly" fever (disease, plague).

Both of these verses are very non-specific and vague and any number of events could "fulfill" them. That is how prophecy works.

When I was about 6 years old, my family attended a chalk talk by a Christian artist. She read the passage in the Revelation about "hornets with hair like women" and she drew fighter jets, stating that the verse was "clearly" referring to jet contrails in the sky. I have heard a half dozen completely different "explanations" for THAT passage, too!

Old 08-15-2023, 05:33 PM

501 posts, read 172,457 times
2 Peter 3:10 — New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (NASB95):

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

I have always found this passage, also translated as the elements "melting" or "dissolving," to be kind of uncanny for the First Century. Sounds positively nuclear.

This is basically my notion of the End: God says, "It's over" and the illusion we've been living in simply goes poof in an instant. My theology does not rely on Revelation in the slightest.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:53 PM

5,525 posts, read 7,366,990 times
When I had a motor home and was looking for a place store down here in the sunshine state, lucky for me site 66B was available. It was site 666, and they couldn't rent it. So they changed the #.

The 600 row went 664, 665, 66B , 667 etc.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
When I had a motor home and was looking for a place store down here in the sunshine state, lucky for me site 66B was available. It was site 666, and they couldn't rent it. So they changed the #.

The 600 row went 664, 665, 66B , 667 etc.
Double the All it is is superstition, no different than believing that if you step on a crack you break your Mama's back kind of thing. There are no adjectives for this type of ___________. Somebody fill in the blank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity