Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2023, 08:16 PM

35,316 posts, read 17,217,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Double the All it is is superstition, no different than believing that if you step on a crack you break your Mama's back kind of thing. There are no adjectives for this type of ___________. Somebody fill in the blank.
My wife is highly educated. She will not let me place a hat on a bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 08:22 PM

11,939 posts, read 3,757,899 times
Why 666?

https://www.simplybible.com/f60c-rev...r-of-beast.htm

The number 666, the famous "number of the Beast" or antichrist (Revelation 13:18), reveals its meaning, when we convert it to a Roman numeral: 666=DCLXVI.

This number DCLXVI has an obvious pattern to anyone familiar with the Roman number system. The Arabic number is the sum of a consecutive set of the Roman numerals under 1000 in descending order as shown below.

Roman Arabic
D = 500
C = 100
L = 50
X = 10
V = 5
I = 1
Total = 666
So the number 666 is not understood by numerology or magic codes. The number simply represents a special and significant Roman numeral set, and thus identifies the Roman empire as the Beast, and its emperor as the "man". The descending order of the numerals, and the fact that they are inferior (below 1000) is a nice touch of symbolism too.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:37 PM

5,917 posts, read 3,813,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
2 Peter 3:10 — New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (NASB95):

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

I have always found this passage, also translated as the elements "melting" or "dissolving," to be kind of uncanny for the First Century. Sounds positively nuclear.

This is basically my notion of the End: God says, "It's over" and the illusion we've been living in simply goes poof in an instant. My theology does not rely on Revelation in the slightest.
So what brand of Christian are you? Most Fundamental christians believe that Revelation is just that, a revealing but they take that stuff literal. When I was a Fundamentalist, I truly believed that the earth was going to be destroyed by nuclear war. Yep, sounded positively nuclear to me too.

Oh and btw, my screenname used to be "Day of the Lord". I was screenname shamed, so I changed it to DOTL. You preaching to the wrong Chica. My dear, this life is not the illusion. This life is our reality, not an illusion. Nothing is going "poof" because it's all fairy tales and delusion. The illusion is the smoke and mirrors that the religious use to awe the sheeple so they will stay in the fold. I know how it works.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:46 PM

5,917 posts, read 3,813,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My wife is highly educated. She will not let me place a hat on a bed.
Right, everybody has their "thing" that they might be a little superstitious about. Mine is what's going to happen at 4:20 if I DON"T partake.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:18 PM

20,119 posts, read 13,578,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Why 666?

https://www.simplybible.com/f60c-rev...r-of-beast.htm

The number 666, the famous "number of the Beast" or antichrist (Revelation 13:18), reveals its meaning, when we convert it to a Roman numeral: 666=DCLXVI.

This number DCLXVI has an obvious pattern to anyone familiar with the Roman number system. The Arabic number is the sum of a consecutive set of the Roman numerals under 1000 in descending order as shown below.

Roman Arabic
D = 500
C = 100
L = 50
X = 10
V = 5
I = 1
Total = 666
So the number 666 is not understood by numerology or magic codes. The number simply represents a special and significant Roman numeral set, and thus identifies the Roman empire as the Beast, and its emperor as the "man". The descending order of the numerals, and the fact that they are inferior (below 1000) is a nice touch of symbolism too.
What I said about 7 and 6 and 3's is taught by "Christian Numerologists" but I pulled the bit about 666 being a set of 3 6's out of my patootie, I'll confess. Just like someone else pulled the stuff about 7, 6 and 3's out of theirs, once upon a time ;-)

Old 08-15-2023, 09:24 PM

11,939 posts, read 3,757,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
What I said about 7 and 6 and 3's is taught by "Christian Numerologists" but I pulled the bit about 666 being a set of 3 6's out of my patootie, I'll confess. Just like someone else pulled the stuff about 7, 6 and 3's out of theirs, once upon a time ;-)
Yep, I knew that

Old 08-15-2023, 11:07 PM

19,031 posts, read 14,266,154 times
To believers and non-believers, there are many things that defy explanation.
One that is of recent origin is the Marian apparition in Fatima, Portugal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_F%C3%A1tima

Beginning in the spring of 1916, three shepherd children – Lúcia dos Santos, Francisco and Jacinta Marto – reported three apparitions of an Angel in Valinhos. Then on 13 May 1917, in Cova da Iria, six apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary were reported.

Most perplexing are her prophecies regarding Russia and its part in future tribulations. We may be seeing them working out in our lifetime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun
Estimates of the number of people present range from 30,000 and 40,000, by Avelino de Almeida writing for the Portuguese newspaper O Século, to 100,000, estimated by lawyer José Almeida Garrett.
Various claims have been made as to what actually happened during the event. According to many witnesses, after a period of rain, the dark clouds broke and the Sun appeared as an opaque, spinning disc in the sky. It was said to be significantly duller than normal, and to cast multicolored lights across the landscape, the people, and the surrounding clouds. The Sun was then reported to have careened towards the Earth before zig-zagging back to its normal position. Witnesses reported that their previously wet clothes became "suddenly and completely dry, as well as the wet and muddy ground that had been previously soaked because of the rain that had been falling". Not all witnesses reported seeing the Sun "dance". Some people only saw the radiant colors. Several people saw nothing.
- - - - -

- - - - -
Hollywood dramatization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fLsj2Yx8-o

Old 08-16-2023, 08:32 AM

501 posts, read 172,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
So what brand of Christian are you? Most Fundamental christians believe that Revelation is just that, a revealing but they take that stuff literal. When I was a Fundamentalist, I truly believed that the earth was going to be destroyed by nuclear war. Yep, sounded positively nuclear to me too.

Oh and btw, my screenname used to be "Day of the Lord". I was screenname shamed, so I changed it to DOTL. You preaching to the wrong Chica. My dear, this life is not the illusion. This life is our reality, not an illusion. Nothing is going "poof" because it's all fairy tales and delusion. The illusion is the smoke and mirrors that the religious use to awe the sheeple so they will stay in the fold. I know how it works.
Revelation was controversial from the start as to whether it belonged in the NT at all. It is standard stuff of the apocalyptic genre. The events of 62-70 AD would have enough to badly discourage Christians and/or make them think the end was surely at hand. I see Revelation as a pep talk for first century Christians and of little or no relevance beyond that. Passages like Matthew 24 are pretty much all a Christian needs to know, IMO.

I am no particular brand of Christian, nor am I preaching. I happen to believe, for reasons having nothing to do with religious literature, that our reality is extremely "thin" and not at all what materialists perceive it to be. I do believe God will bring it to an end and that when He does the transformation will be instantaneous, without anything even vaguely resembling the hoopla of Revelation.

I am as far from a sheeple as it is humanly possible to be. Richard Dawkins is a sheeple in comparison. I don't know what you think you "know how it works," but your statement is of no relevance to me whatsoever.

Old 08-16-2023, 09:43 AM

10,605 posts, read 7,125,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
Revelation was controversial from the start as to whether it belonged in the NT at all. It is standard stuff of the apocalyptic genre. The events of 62-70 AD would have enough to badly discourage Christians and/or make them think the end was surely at hand. I see Revelation as a pep talk for first century Christians and of little or no relevance beyond that. Passages like Matthew 24 are pretty much all a Christian needs to know, IMO.

I am no particular brand of Christian, nor am I preaching. I happen to believe, for reasons having nothing to do with religious literature, that our reality is extremely "thin" and not at all what materialists perceive it to be. I do believe God will bring it to an end and that when He does the transformation will be instantaneous, without anything even vaguely resembling the hoopla of Revelation.

I am as far from a sheeple as it is humanly possible to be. Richard Dawkins is a sheeple in comparison. I don't know what you think you "know how it works," but your statement is of no relevance to me whatsoever.
Revelations didn't have much use for 2,000 years, however its extremely relevant today and really has been since Ezekial 37 prophecy came to pass. Revelation 12:5 is going to be fulfilled September 15-18th, coincidently (or not) during the Feast of Trumpets. Revelation 12:1 was fulfilled exactly 7 years ago. These are just the signs in the stars that ignites the end-time prophecies. We are very close, its happening next month.

The Woman and the Dragon
12 A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. 2 She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth. 3 Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on its heads. 4 Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that it might devour her child the moment he was born. 5 She gave birth to a son, a male child, who “will rule all the nations with an iron scepter.”[a] And her child was snatched up to God and to his throne. 6 The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days.

For those who don't understand the prophecy, its all related to the stars as signs for when things are to begin. I would have no clue either what this means but there are some really good videos out there by astronomists on this prophecy.

Old 08-16-2023, 11:47 AM

501 posts, read 172,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
To believers and non-believers, there are many things that defy explanation.
One that is of recent origin is the Marian apparition in Fatima, Portugal.
[URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_F%C3%A1tima"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_F%C3%A1tima[/URL]

Beginning in the spring of 1916, three shepherd children – Lúcia dos Santos, Francisco and Jacinta Marto – reported three apparitions of an Angel in Valinhos. Then on 13 May 1917, in Cova da Iria, six apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary were reported.

Most perplexing are her prophecies regarding Russia and its part in future tribulations. We may be seeing them working out in our lifetime.

[URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun[/URL]
Estimates of the number of people present range from 30,000 and 40,000, by Avelino de Almeida writing for the Portuguese newspaper O Século, to 100,000, estimated by lawyer José Almeida Garrett.
Various claims have been made as to what actually happened during the event. According to many witnesses, after a period of rain, the dark clouds broke and the Sun appeared as an opaque, spinning disc in the sky. It was said to be significantly duller than normal, and to cast multicolored lights across the landscape, the people, and the surrounding clouds. The Sun was then reported to have careened towards the Earth before zig-zagging back to its normal position. Witnesses reported that their previously wet clothes became "suddenly and completely dry, as well as the wet and muddy ground that had been previously soaked because of the rain that had been falling". Not all witnesses reported seeing the Sun "dance". Some people only saw the radiant colors. Several people saw nothing.
- - - - -

- - - - -
Hollywood dramatization

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fLsj2Yx8-o[/URL]
By any standard, what occurred at Fatima was bizarre and remarkable. Ditto for Zeitoun, which is far less known. I am not Catholic, but I have read extensively about both. Fatima is also a popular topic within the UFO research community. Far from what many people think, the Catholic Church is actually very rigorous and demanding about certifying Marian apparitions, cases of demonic possession, and miracles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity