Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 01:48 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Listen to the first minute.

The two commands.

YES. exactly.

Thought some on this forum might be interested in this podcast. Since Chris Lunsford (Oliver Anthony Music) has gone viral with his songs, ("Rich Men North of Richmond") a lot of folks have been really truly touched. Music really does have a beautiful way of bringing people from all backgrounds together and touching souls. I've watched several reactions to his songs "I want to go home" and "I've got to get sober" with grown men crying. (REAL heartfelt emotion, not for show.) The Holy Spirit has been working through his music and touching people. It's pretty obvious.

Anyway, just wanted to pass this along, because it's just a very refreshing, meaningful discussion.

And he's a fellow Virginian.
I'm sorry, but a song filled with profanity is hardly a Christian song, or one the Holy Spirit is behind. Will God use even the profane? Sure. Of course. But we're giving it too much credit.

Yes, I know the guy's music speaks to a lot of people. But it's not Christian, and let's not make him a spokesman for Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 02:44 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:

Well, that made me pause and ponder for a bit. That is something that is probably a universal (maybe slightly subconscious) feeling amongst us humans, but I don't think I've ever seen that idea/feeling ever actually put into words.
I would say that somewhere there is another earth and when their timeline is the same, there are two people with our names on a forum having this same conversation where the same songs we have here are also there.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:59 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,920,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm sorry, but a song filled with profanity is hardly a Christian song, or one the Holy Spirit is behind. Will God use even the profane? Sure. Of course. But we're giving it too much credit.

Yes, I know the guy's music speaks to a lot of people. But it's not Christian, and let's not make him a spokesman for Christianity.
To the bold: YES. It has. I'm glad that you can see that. God does what He wants to do, and uses whomever He pleases, whether we like it or not, whether we agree with it or not, whether we like the messenger or not, whether we are offended by words that others have deemed "bad". Being shallow, and missing the point means you look at the WRONG things, instead of looking PAST THINGS and seeing what you SHOULD see. Get out of the shallow end, and go deeper.

In this moment, God has seemingly decided to use this young man to reach people and pull them away from their vain, shallowness for a moment and reflect on the simple things in life, the things that have the TRUE meaning. If even for a moment while listening to a song, God can help bring people together, and soften their hearts, and cause people to reflect and to reunite with a spirit of humility, to me, that is the very definition of "Christian".
So with that said....

"Do not be quick in your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few."

Oliver Anthony opens his show reading a passage from scripture

And Rogan averages over 10 million views per episode on his podcast. You have no clue who or how many people were touched by God hearing this guy who went viral, give his experience on finding God. Instead of being swept up and taking the million dollar offers, he is giving glory to God. He's just a humble guy who has been through stuff, just like the rest of us, trying to make his way in the world, again, just like the rest of us. He's just sharing how God touched his life, in hopes that others will be touched as well.

Oliver Anthony Discusses His Faith And The Bible With Joe Rogan

Peace,
sparrow

Last edited by .sparrow.; 09-13-2023 at 05:12 PM..

Old 09-13-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I would say that somewhere there is another earth and when their timeline is the same, there are two people with our names on a forum having this same conversation where the same songs we have here are also there.

I think their next conversation is going to go something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwEbXa_gZp0
Starring: Kramer as Hannibal Flavius
and Jerry as... The sparrow. (wait that's the Leave it to Beaver theme music. oh whatever.)

Old 09-13-2023, 05:17 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:

It's very poor me but I think he is just frustrated. I agree tho. It's just angry.

Old 09-13-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's very poor me but I think he is just frustrated. I agree tho. It's just angry.

It's not just about one song. The song he went viral over (rich men north of richmond) is basically a song about corruption. That's not really the point of THIS thread. The political stuff is for the politics forum, and I won't say too much more because I don't want this thread to get locked. And yes that particular song is angry. As it should be. And we should ALL be angry at what is happening in high places.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Old 09-13-2023, 05:44 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
It's not just about one song. The song he went viral over (rich men north of richmond) is basically a song about corruption. That's not really the point of THIS thread. The political stuff is for the politics forum, and I won't say too much more because I don't want this thread to get locked. And yes that particular song is angry. As it should be. And we should ALL be angry at what is happening in high places.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
I don't think it's political to blame a 5 3 foot 300lb woman eating fudge for losing your job.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't think it's political to blame a 5 3 foot 300lb woman eating fudge for losing your job.
That is not what he said. AT ALL.
You have misquoted and misinterpreted.
I won't get further into it because, like I said, I don't want my thread to get locked.
There is an active thread in the politics forum if you want to continue the conversation.
I'd be more than happy to discuss the topic there. Not here. As I said, it's not the topic of this thread.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:58 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:

And Rogan averages over 10 million views per episode on his podcast. You have no clue who or how many people were touched by God hearing this guy who went viral, give his experience on finding God. Instead of being swept up and taking the million dollar offers, he is giving glory to God. He's just a humble guy who has been through stuff, just like the rest of us, trying to make his way in the world, again, just like the rest of us. He's just sharing how God touched his life, in hopes that others will be touched as well.

Oliver Anthony Discusses His Faith And The Bible With Joe Rogan[/url]

Peace,
sparrow
Do you not get the contradiction there? He talks of faith, and the Bible. But then he sings a song laced with profanity. That doesn't seem at all like a contradiction to you?

Old 09-14-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Do you not get the contradiction there? He talks of faith, and the Bible. But then he sings a song laced with profanity. That doesn't seem at all like a contradiction to you?
Of course not! Why should it?
You're not making a lick of sense, here.
And you really should watch the Rogan interview. Maybe you would get a better understanding of the guy instead of just sitting on your high horse lasering focusing on some "bad" words and judging him, seeing only the outer.

You don't think Jesus had some harsh words?
Think again. Matthew 23 has some great lessons.

MATTHEW
23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, 2 “The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat, 3 so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice. 4 They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear,[a] and lay them on people's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger. 5 They do all their deeds to be seen by others. For they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, 6 and they love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues 7 and greetings in the marketplaces and being called rabbi[b] by others. 8 But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers.[c] 9 And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. 10 Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ. 11 The greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

13 “But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. For you neither enter yourselves nor allow those who would enter to go in.[d] 15 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel across sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell[e] as yourselves.

16 “Woe to you, blind guides, who say, ‘If anyone swears by the temple, it is nothing, but if anyone swears by the gold of the temple, he is bound by his oath.’ 17 You blind fools! For which is greater, the gold or the temple that has made the gold sacred? 18 And you say, ‘If anyone swears by the altar, it is nothing, but if anyone swears by the gift that is on the altar, he is bound by his oath.’ 19 You blind men! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20 So whoever swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it. 21 And whoever swears by the temple swears by it and by him who dwells in it. 22 And whoever swears by heaven swears by the throne of God and by him who sits upon it.

23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. 24 You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!

25 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26 You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean.

27 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people's bones and all uncleanness. 28 So you also outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and decorate the monuments of the righteous, 30 saying, ‘If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 Thus you witness against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers. 33 You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell? 34 Therefore I send you prophets and wise men and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will flog in your synagogues and persecute from town to town, 35 so that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah the son of Barachiah,[f] whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. 36 Truly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity