Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2023, 07:36 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Thanks for your reply Katz!

Does your church have any teaching as to what this Fruit from the Tree of Life that gives everlasting life is ? Any thoughts personally?
We believe that the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden represents God's love. It is meant to teach Adam and Eve and their descendants that God is the only source of life in the universe. It also symbolizes Jesus Christ and his atonement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 09:04 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We believe that the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden represents God's love. It is meant to teach Adam and Eve and their descendants that God is the only source of life in the universe. It also symbolizes Jesus Christ and his atonement.
So then in Genesis 3:22-24 God cut Adam and Eve off from His Love ?

Quote:
22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”
23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken.
24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side[a] of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
No. I realize that what I said implied that. I just did a quick google search of the LDS understanding of what the Tree of Life stood for and that's what I got. Probably best to disregard that answer, since it obviously is wrong. If I can find an explanation that seems to make more sense, I'll repost.

Old 12-14-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
No. I realize that what I said implied that. I just did a quick google search of the LDS understanding of what the Tree of Life stood for and that's what I got. Probably best to disregard that answer, since it obviously is wrong. If I can find an explanation that seems to make more sense, I'll repost.
Thanks for your update Katzpur, and yes, I'd be interested to hear if you do come up with something, as I think it'd be important to know about something tied to having Eternal Life that's brought up both in Genesis and Revelation - Guess I need to search if the 'Fruit of the Tree of Life' is mentioned explicitly in the books in-between.

I wonder if MsKate has any input on the Fruit of the Tree of Life, as it relates to Eternal life? MissKate?

Old 12-14-2023, 05:46 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Thanks for your update Katzpur, and yes, I'd be interested to hear if you do come up with something, as I think it'd be important to know about something tied to having Eternal Life that's brought up both in Genesis and Revelation - Guess I need to search if the 'Fruit of the Tree of Life' is mentioned explicitly in the books in-between.

I wonder if MsKate has any input on the Fruit of the Tree of Life, as it relates to Eternal life? MissKate?
Hi CCC and Katzpur. Thank you CCC for including me in the discussion. I love nothing more than sharing ideas about the meaning of God’s word. Please know this is just my opinion.

I think Revelation 22:1-5 is such a beautiful passage, filled with blessings from God. It’s about restoration. When I think of what happened with Adam & Eve, who lost access to the tree of life at the beginning of Genesis because of sin, we see Revelation 22 bringing us full circle, back into fellowship with God. It’s a beautiful thought.

I think the twelve kinds of fruit are spiritual. They are actually available to us now. When we obey the gospel (believe Jesus is the Son of God, repent, and get baptized), we enter into the spiritual city of God. We have access to the tree of life. To yield fruit every month shows that this is a continual process. The basic meaning of this verse is that Christ, who is our spiritual fruit is continually yielding spiritual fruit for us. This is being accomplished today as Christians preach the gospel and convert those who would otherwise be lost in sin.

As believers, we are experiencing restoration. If we remain faithful, our restoration will be complete someday.

I hope this makes sense. As I said, it’s my opinion, but it’s how I understand it.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, CCCyou. I was unable to come up with anything more for you. I'm glad Kate was.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Hi CCC and Katzpur. Thank you CCC for including me in the discussion. I love nothing more than sharing ideas about the meaning of God’s word. Please know this is just my opinion.

I think Revelation 22:1-5 is such a beautiful passage, filled with blessings from God. It’s about restoration. When I think of what happened with Adam & Eve, who lost access to the tree of life at the beginning of Genesis because of sin, we see Revelation 22 bringing us full circle, back into fellowship with God. It’s a beautiful thought.

I think the twelve kinds of fruit are spiritual. They are actually available to us now. When we obey the gospel (believe Jesus is the Son of God, repent, and get baptized), we enter into the spiritual city of God. We have access to the tree of life. To yield fruit every month shows that this is a continual process. The basic meaning of this verse is that Christ, who is our spiritual fruit is continually yielding spiritual fruit for us. This is being accomplished today as Christians preach the gospel and convert those who would otherwise be lost in sin.

As believers, we are experiencing restoration. If we remain faithful, our restoration will be complete someday.

I hope this makes sense. As I said, it’s my opinion, but it’s how I understand it.
Thanks for this wonderful response MissKate.
Sorry if I seem to be dragging this thread in a different direction than you intended, but the title got me thinking about the eternal life that Jesus' promises and some details in that, in Genesis & Revelation, and why did Jesus (need?) to 'become flesh'.
Certainly I agree in every way as to how it pertains to spiritual fruit, as we too are spirit, in part.
We also have bodies though - and IMO I believe it will be in and through Christ Made Flesh that our bodies are restored too!
I may have to open a new thread on this!

Thanks for bringing up Rev 22:1-5. I forgot all about that section - it's precious!
This phrase (of v.2) really struck me - "the leaves of the trees serve as medicine for the nations."

Old 12-14-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, CCCyou. I was unable to come up with anything more for you. I'm glad Kate was.
Don't be sorry! I'm asking just as I would with a close friend going deeper into a topic/area to learn, together!

Old 12-14-2023, 08:27 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Unlike us, A&E were perfect (could only sin on purpose) A&E placed their chosen idolised thinking by placing their own judgement on matters above God's judgement rebelling against God.
Adam set up People Rule as superior to God's Rule or Law attacking God's right as Sovereign = sin.
A&E cut themselves off from God's Love by stealing fruit from God's Tree, the Tree of Life.
Like Satan who also cut himself off from God's Love.
So, with the expelling from Eden communication between God and A&E apparently stopped.
Since we are innocent of what Satan and Adam did is why God's Love can be extended to us in our imperfect state.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:50 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
..............I think Revelation 22:1-5 is such a beautiful passage, filled with blessings from God. It’s about restoration. When I think of what happened with Adam & Eve, who lost access to the tree of life at the beginning of Genesis because of sin, we see Revelation 22 bringing us full circle, back into fellowship with God. It’s a beautiful thought.
I think the twelve kinds of fruit are spiritual. They are actually available to us now. When we obey the gospel (believe Jesus is the Son of God, repent, and get baptized), we enter into the spiritual city of God. We have access to the tree of life. To yield fruit every month shows that this is a continual process. The basic meaning of this verse is that Christ, who is our spiritual fruit is continually yielding spiritual fruit for us................
I'd like to take the liberty to add to the ^ above ^.
'spiritual fruit ' also reminds me of the fruitage of God's spirit as listed at Galatians 5:22-23.

Before chapter 22, at Revelation 21:7-8 I find we read about those who end up in 'second death ' .
Sinner Satan will be destroyed by Jesus according to Hebrews 2:14 B.
So, wicked Satan's name will rot - Proverbs 10:7 - because he went past any point of forgiveness - Hebrews 10:26
Thus Satan will end up in ' second death '- Rev. 2:11
Only those who are part of the first or earlier resurrection of Rev.20:6 'second death ' has No authority over them.
Resurrection is for both the righteous and unrighteous (KJV just and unjust ) - Acts 24:15
Destruction is what awaits the wicked - Psalms 37:38; 92:7; 104:35; 145:20 ; Proverbs 2:21-22
This to me is why the choice is given to repent if one does not want to perish (be destroyed) - 2nd Peter 3:9
I think then ' full circle ' is found in Jesus' words at Matt. 23:35 with the mention of righteous Able. - Hebrews 11:4
The founding of mankind thus starts with Abel's blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity