Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 03:22 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Would this mean all forms of life that cause disease, disabilities and pain exist in heaven too? If wild animals that can be a threat to humans are in heaven, why not all other things living things that can ravage, maul, eat or kill humans?

Of course there is no need to answer these questions. I know how this works all too well to expect answer(s) that aren't entirely predictable when it comes to God and heaven, but sometimes it's hard not to point out what seem some serious inconsistencies with some of these theories.
Well, the Bible says that the lamb will lie down with the lion in the end times, and while that phrase is an allegory, the fact that it's mentioned makes me think if they're in their glorified form, as we will be, there will be no need for hunting, and all animals will live in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 10:25 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Well, the Bible says that the lamb will lie down with the lion in the end times, and while that phrase is an allegory, the fact that it's mentioned makes me think if they're in their glorified form, as we will be, there will be no need for hunting, and all animals will live in peace.
Which I suppose means there will also be no need to eat. No more burgers in any case...

The more I consider all these explanations and/or scenarios, the more it seems all these notions about any living things being in heaven are not likely to be recognizable to us as humans. Interesting to speculate about and it's interesting to consider the various rationales that would suggest what to expect in one way or another.

I mean for example...

If all living things deemed worthy are there in heaven, does this mean those still destined to end up there will be able to see living things going back to the first life forms on earth? It is estimated over 100 billion people have died so far. Assuming most of the early humans are in heaven because they were essentially unknowing of any requirements to be in heaven AKA innocents, that would make for many billions of humans in heaven right now. Not to mention all the living things since life began. Would we be able to encounter all these people and living things? Why or why not? No disease, pain or disharmony of any kind? All billions there are living like we humans would be able to live on earth if we didn't have free will? What would all these billions of beings be doing for all eternity?

I could go on, but it doesn't take long to see most people who speculate or claim to know much of anything along the lines of what to expect don't really give it the level of thought the concept of a heaven deserves. Or so it generally seems to me. With all due respect to those who believe there are 72 virgins waiting there too...

Old 12-12-2023, 11:42 PM

10,475 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Which I suppose means there will also be no need to eat. No more burgers in any case...

The more I consider all these explanations and/or scenarios, the more it seems all these notions about any living things being in heaven are not likely to be recognizable to us as humans. Interesting to speculate about and it's interesting to consider the various rationales that would suggest what to expect in one way or another.

I mean for example...

If all living things deemed worthy are there in heaven, does this mean those still destined to end up there will be able to see living things going back to the first life forms on earth? It is estimated over 100 billion people have died so far. Assuming most of the early humans are in heaven because they were essentially unknowing of any requirements to be in heaven AKA innocents, that would make for many billions of humans in heaven right now. Not to mention all the living things since life began. Would we be able to encounter all these people and living things? Why or why not? No disease, pain or disharmony of any kind? All billions there are living like we humans would be able to live on earth if we didn't have free will? What would all these billions of beings be doing for all eternity?

I could go on, but it doesn't take long to see most people who speculate or claim to know much of anything along the lines of what to expect don't really give it the level of thought the concept of a heaven deserves. Or so it generally seems to me. With all due respect to those who believe there are 72 virgins waiting there too...
As animals don't have souls they wouldn't be there. Also, what would make one more animal more important than another? Is a dog more valuable than the chicken I had for dinner? Would heaven be littered with a hundred billion chickens consumed? Not saying animals won't be in heavens but the idea certainly is not Biblical, and even Jesus makes mention about caring for humans over dogs (in one instance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
These verses are about the Millennial reign here on Earth, so its quite physical.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:56 PM

10,475 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post

When you see earth from an "outside" perspective, you see that we are just a tiny speckle in this gigantic vast universe. Our universe is just one of MANY universes out there.

We spend so much time focusing on how God plays a role on earth and in our universe but what about zooming out and thinking about on other planets....other universes....

What makes earth so special? Is God ignoring the other planets and universes? What if there is another earth that has not been discovered yet? Maybe they have their own religion and think that THEY are the planet that God focuses on.
OP just to add some input into the question. I like to look back at the story of Job. When God meets with Satan, he asks him where has he been? Satans response was checking out and roaming around Earth. Given that Satan has the power to freely roam anywhere within the universe, he spends his time on Earth.

Old 12-13-2023, 02:59 AM

679 posts, read 204,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
As animals don't have souls they wouldn't be there. Also, what would make one more animal more important than another? Is a dog more valuable than the chicken I had for dinner? Would heaven be littered with a hundred billion chickens consumed? Not saying animals won't be in heavens but the idea certainly is not Biblical, and even Jesus makes mention about caring for humans over dogs (in one instance).

These verses are about the Millennial reign here on Earth, so its quite physical.
Animals don't have souls? No room for a hundred billion chickens? You depict a very small God. There is room enough for everybody and tell me again how animals are without souls.

Old 12-13-2023, 04:31 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post

Our universe is just one of MANY universes out there.
OP — you are mixing up galaxies with the universe.

Wikipedia:
The universe is all of space and time[a] and their contents.[10] It comprises all of existence, any fundamental interaction, physical process and physical constant, and therefore all forms of energy and matter, and the structures they form, from sub-atomic particles to entire galaxies. Space and time, according to the prevailing cosmological theory of the Big Bang, emerged together 13.787±0.020 billion years ago,[11] and the universe has been expanding ever since.

Old 12-13-2023, 04:34 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-5 View Post
Animals don't have souls? No room for a hundred billion chickens? You depict a very small God. There is room enough for everybody and tell me again how animals are without souls.
LOL — clearly he doesn’t have a dog.
And has never looked deep into the eyes and soul of an elephant or dolphin….

I suppose this depends on how we personally define/experience “soul.”

Old 12-13-2023, 04:50 AM

679 posts, read 204,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
LOL — clearly he doesn’t have a dog.
And has never looked deep into the eyes and soul of an elephant or dolphin….

I suppose this depends on how we personally define/experience “soul.”
I think most of us can agree what a soul is and most but apparently not all of us know animals have them.
When I see a huge flock of birds I sometimes wonder if God has a name for each one of them. Probably a crazy thought to some. But when I thought that , I thought, not only that, but God knows how many feathers are on each one of them. Each one loved. God is love, everything is made of love/light, that is why you see always unconditional love from dogs and pets.

To think the universe is too small for a billion chickens is nonsense. God can do anything He wants. Room for everything and everybody.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:

You have just ruined the belief for many who expect to be reunited with their lost beloved pet in heaven after they die. I'm not a believer, so all this about who or what goes to heaven is really just entertaining use of imagination for me, and curious consideration as to what others believe and why...

I never thought of this distinction you make about humans having souls and not animals. I looked up this definition which was first to come up. Not the same as yours: soul 1. the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.

I've had both dogs and a few chickens as pets. A horse, cat and frog too. Which is more valuable depends on a variety of factors and who you ask, but I can tell you we had one dog who seemed to have the sort of thing lots of people like to call a soul. If there is a heaven of any kind, that dog is there now.

As for what is Biblical or not, I don't think many people including myself thinks dogs rank above humans when it comes to who we care most about, but I can say humans care dearly about their pets. Many do anyway. For Biblical reasons or not.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
OP just to add some input into the question. I like to look back at the story of Job. When God meets with Satan, he asks him where has he been? Satans response was checking out and roaming around Earth. Given that Satan has the power to freely roam anywhere within the universe, he spends his time on Earth.
In the story of Job, is it clear whether God is asking where Satan has been lately? Or for all time?

IOWs, is it clear Satan hadn't just been roaming the Earth, but had also been everywhere else at one time or another too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity