Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 02:10 AM

6,706 posts, read 6,711,443 times

Advertisements

I just got off anti-depressants, I stopped binge drinking. I had 100 sex partners in my 20s and 30s and was an emotional disaster. But then I did one thing, one thing. I accepted him as my savior. I now have a beautiful wife who shares my high sex drive (and obvious monogamy), wonderful friends, and a wonderful job. I didn't do anything to deserve this other than accept Jesus, who surrounded me with supportive people, and I feel so blessed.

I rejected modern psychotherapy, I rejected logic (and I'm an engineer). All I did was accept him, I didn't ask a human to help me with sex addiction, or to help with my binge drinking. I just accepted Jesus, and wow did it fall into place. I wish to give back, but when times are dark, and my ability to create dark times through alcohol and inappropriate sexual relationships is really strong, choose him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 02:54 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I just got off anti-depressants, I stopped binge drinking. I had 100 sex partners in my 20s and 30s and was an emotional disaster. But then I did one thing, one thing. I accepted him as my savior. I now have a beautiful wife who shares my high sex drive (and obvious monogamy), wonderful friends, and a wonderful job. I didn't do anything to deserve this other than accept Jesus, who surrounded me with supportive people, and I feel so blessed.

I rejected modern psychotherapy, I rejected logic (and I'm an engineer). All I did was accept him, I didn't ask a human to help me with sex addiction, or to help with my binge drinking. I just accepted Jesus, and wow did it fall into place. I wish to give back, but when times are dark, and my ability to create dark times through alcohol and inappropriate sexual relationships is really strong, choose him!
That’s fantastic.
Glad everything is working and your life is on the up.
Getting over addictions is one reason to find Jesus or God, but it’s certainly not the only one.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:58 AM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Thread moved from Religion and Spirituality to Christianity.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:05 AM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:

May God continue to bring healing to you on your journey with Him. Thanks for sharing and God bless.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:46 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:

Ever consider you did all of this under your own power without any divine intervention? Or that it was your powerful belief in a deity that could help you turn your life around rather than some outside force doing it? Or that it was just pure serendipity that caused things to align for you? There are lots of possibilities other than some god suddenly moving into your life and getting you out of your rut. And what about the billions of other Christians who are still living in rotten marriages with drug-ridden children that hate them and with no jobs, no money to buy food or put a decent roof over their heads instead of a pup tent? Jesus sure seems to play favorites.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:09 AM

992 posts, read 782,612 times
Quote:

Congrats! Stay Strong there could be set backs but remember He understands our struggles. He was once a imperfect human just like us.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:18 AM

992 posts, read 782,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Ever consider you did all of this under your own power without any divine intervention? Or that it was your powerful belief in a deity that could help you turn your life around rather than some outside force doing it? Or that it was just pure serendipity that caused things to align for you? There are lots of possibilities other than some god suddenly moving into your life and getting you out of your rut. And what about the billions of other Christians who are still living in rotten marriages with drug-ridden children that hate them and with no jobs, no money to buy food or put a decent roof over their heads instead of a pup tent? Jesus sure seems to play favorites.
Whatever Works!

Old 04-01-2024, 11:58 AM

308 posts, read 260,676 times
Quote:

Right on! I'd give Jesus the glory too.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:06 PM

6,706 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It was my belief in God's grace through his son's sacrifice. Prior to that, I didn't forgive others because I couldn't forgive myself, I had a hedonistic lifestyle because I was focused on the tangible earth, and had the attitude to go with it.

Jesus can't help those who don't choose him, plenty of people go to church but do so out of obligation, or without really feeling it. He didn't help me with alcoholism until I reached out to him.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:42 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
It was my belief in God's grace through his son's sacrifice. Prior to that, I didn't forgive others because I couldn't forgive myself, I had a hedonistic lifestyle because I was focused on the tangible earth, and had the attitude to go with it.

Jesus can't help those who don't choose him, plenty of people go to church but do so out of obligation, or without really feeling it. He didn't help me with alcoholism until I reached out to him.

You said it yourself in the first sentence: BELIEF. For some the mere power of belief in a power higher than yourself is enough. Everybody finds their own way to deal with adversity. Part of AA's strength is not belief in the God of the Bible, it's belief in a higher power than yourself. Isn't that part of the 12 steps:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol — that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

So your belief that God could cure you of alcoholism---cured your alcoholism. Nothing supernatural about that. There's your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity