Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:51 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times

Advertisements

I hope it is okay when someone that asks "How are you?", to answer " I am not having a good day" , if you are not having a good day.......:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 01:07 PM

246 posts, read 649,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I hope it is okay when someone that asks "How are you?", to answer " I am not having a good day" , if you are not having a good day.......:-)
What if we say, we are on our way to having a great day?! HA! Speak forth your destiny - speak to the Mountain, right?!

Good point, Mar - is there a way to be real and honest, but still full of Hope and Faith. To speak His Truth and to speak -

ah, but wait.... His Truth is the only Truth - and if we should say it's a bad day, I wonder, would God say the same?

am I getting too deep - or just deeply lost? ha!

Last edited by GausJAMS; 06-12-2008 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-12-2008, 01:07 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Since when does being a Christian mean being tedious?

Good grief, I work hard at my faith. But I'd really hate to be around a zealot who scrutinized every single word I used to make sure it conformed to his rarefied ideas of theological purity. If I wanted that, I'd live in Iran.
Yhwhshalomjr's post isn't meant to infer legalism. (Frankly, that's a word I firmly believe gets thrown around FAR too often on this forum as well as in Christian circles. When a Christian doesn't like the sound of something, they scream out "legalism!" in an effort to justify their not doing it. One should be very careful about doing that.)

He's simply trying to bring attention to the fact that sometimes Christians can speak more out of unconscious habit than out of thinking about the words they're using. He's not saying it's a sin or that someone isn't saved if they say the word "luck" or anything else.

It's simply a gentle, needed reminder that it's always a good idea to do a self-check once in awhile to listen to ourselves and hear what words we use.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 PM

246 posts, read 649,383 times
I agree Simp Liv still can't rep you , either

Old 06-12-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Yes, it's perfectly fine. God doesn't expect us to put on verbal tuxedos and dressing gowns and not dance around how we really feel. After all, He already knows.

The Word of Faith movement is the one who is big on not saying any words that were remotely negative. You aren't calling a bad day on yourself if you say that you're having a bad day or a rough time of it. That's called honesty.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
I agree Simp Liv still can't rep you , either

Ha! Thanks! I appreciate the thought. I'm not very concerned about the rep points. It's certainly not why I'm here, but it's nice when people give them.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:40 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
Pan -

the point is not whether saying either is okay or not okay. Ultimately, you don't have to answer to any one on here, but the Lord. What would he say to you? What do you hear in your heart?

Compared to the Grand scheme of things (God's Plan), we can only be accountable to Him, as His Spirit reveals Truth to our own hearts. But, overall, these are small issues that come under the main issue, Guarding your heart.

Does saying any of those things or not saying them, make anyone a better Christian or a worse Christian? We've all fallen short (in whichever area we'd like to dicsuss) and will continue to until we're reunited with Christ, in Heaven.

But, truly grapsing ahold of more and more truth can surely make us more free to take hold of who we really are in Christ and what we're called to do.
Oh boy, I think you missed the thrust of my comment and are addressing a point I did not make. Nevermind, carry on.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,217 times
Smile Definition of luck in Hebrew?

I was watching John Haggerty on the Christian Channel here in New York, Its the TBN channel for those whom are interested , I recall the Pastor saying the word LUCK means Lucifer, the adversary, The problem I have is if he said it was Latin. Hebrew or Greek. Since i heard this ,I can not get over the fact .He is Correct!! I will do more reseach on this matter, I can not seem to let this go in my Heart,( God lives in our hearts)Every time I hear this word,, I say. "I rebuke that word in Jesus name!! I recall the Holy Spirit telling me OUR WORDS ARE POWERFUL!! THIS I KNOW FROM MY STUDYING THE BIBLE,(KJV), CAN ANY OTHER PERSON HELP ME WITH THIS SUBJECT,PLEASE EMAIL ME IF SO,Moderator cut: don't put your email address out there for the world to see. Use DM [/quote]

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-25-2014 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: removing email address

Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,217 times
Default the meaning of luck,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I guess we all know why this subject is being introduced..

God forbid that someone would say the word luck on this board. Even once...

Do you think it was intentional or do you think it was out of ignorance? Gee, what if it was an intentional choice of words to fit a particular situation? If it was intentional, do you think it was because they wanted to cast some kind of new age stuff on someone - because they are obviously in error and confused... ?

I think we should write a doctrine about it so no one says the word luck ... ever!

I just hope that whoever said that awful, sinful word repents and never says the word again.

Don't you?
I agree totally,, from my reasearch luck means Lucifer!!, I rebuke that word every time i hear it,,Amen

Old 07-25-2014, 05:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyann oloughlin View Post
I was watching John Haggerty on the Christian Channel here in New York, Its the TBN channel for those whom are interested , I recall the Pastor saying the word LUCK means Lucifer, the adversary, The problem I have is if he said it was Latin. Hebrew or Greek. Since i heard this ,I can not get over the fact .He is Correct!! I will do more reseach on this matter, I can not seem to let this go in my Heart,( God lives in our hearts)Every time I hear this word,, I say. "I rebuke that word in Jesus name!! I recall the Holy Spirit telling me OUR WORDS ARE POWERFUL!! THIS I KNOW FROM MY STUDYING THE BIBLE,(KJV), CAN ANY OTHER PERSON HELP ME WITH THIS SUBJECT,PLEASE EMAIL ME IF SO,Moderator cut: removed
You have an Irish name and you think it's bad to say the word "luck"?

Alrighty then. Moving right along......

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-25-2014 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity