Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times

Advertisements

I believe when a person is saved and has the Holy Spirit He makes all truth known.
And I want tacos, but with coon of course Blue I can't believe you've never had a Chalupa, you gotta try one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
ILNC, after BT posted the recipe for me, I am sure I have had Chaluka's I love Mexican food, and don't understand Spanish so when we go to a Mexican Restaurant I either point to the pictures or if the order at the next table looks good I say "What he's having"

Old 06-11-2008, 10:46 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
both! with goat cheese and chips as well!

I am with ILNC in saying the Holy Spirit will guide us to understanding of scripture. And, I also believe that God can speak to us thru scripture in that He can use it to show us what we might be doing wrong or right in our lives in today's society.

The Bible is a living Word, so I believe it applies to us today as well as our ancestors. So, one can interpret a scpriture passage as it was applied in Jesus's time; yet it still apply to what is going on in our time.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Default My $0.02

Only to question #7, as this phrase is almost always misunderstood, IMO.

To take the Bible literally, IMO, means in a plain, straight-forward manner. If the text is narrative, treat it as such. If it is song, psalm or poem, treat it as such. If it is parable or allegory, treat it as such. See where I'm going with this?

It involves taking scripture within context to determine its meaning. For example (and I don't want this to go off topic, so please bear with me) the book of Genesis. Taken as a whole, it is historic narrative. It lists geneologies, historic and actual people, places and events. So, read plainly and straight-forwardly as historic narrative, that is how I interpret that scripture. As compared to the book of Psalms, which is poetry and songs and prayers. Read plainly and straight-forwardly as such, you interpret it accordingly.

Oh... and I'll take 2 chalupas, please and thank you.

That's what taking the Bible literally means to me.

Last edited by mams1559; 06-11-2008 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: forgot the food!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:12 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
To aiangel and ILNC.. If the holy spirit guides those who believe then why do so many believe so differently? Is it that the holy spirit isn't in them or are they mis-interpreting? Thanks for your replies!

To Mams.. Can you see though how people can interpret things differently? For instance some might not see the text as narrative and see it as something else (or a parable as literal). Does that make sense?

So to all.. who becomes right? Or is there a need to be "right"?

2 Chalupas coming up

I think we are in a dead heat on the chalupa/taco thing.

Thanks to all the replies so far.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
To aiangel and ILNC.. If the holy spirit guides those who believe then why do so many believe so differently? Is it that the holy spirit isn't in them or are they mis-interpreting? Thanks for your replie

I was thinking the same thing.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Personally, I think when the Holy Spirit comes to dwell within us it becomes personal..The spirit will teach us according to our needs, our faith and our abilities...

Old 06-12-2008, 07:38 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
Bottom line BT is: God = God

When we believe Him and in Him, we become Christians. Jesus went to that cross and became the last sacrifice for all of us. Our belief in Jesus, what He did, and our decision to allow Him into our lives seals us. We have invited the Holy Spirit into our lives and He knows what we need. The Spirit guides us in our walk in Christ. The Spirit knows our troubles, and when we seek out the Word of God for comfort, He often times directs us to certain passages for that comfort or for that wisdom or for that discipline.

This is where I mean that we can use that scripture for our lives today although it was written 2000 years ago. Since the scripture is a Living Word of God that can never go out of date, it applies to us as much as it did then. And we all have a personal relationship with God. Our walk in faith is very personal so how we think will affect how we relate to scripture. When we are fresh in our walk we will not see some things that we will see or understand when we have been walking in the Spirit for a while.

I guess what I am trying to say is our understanding broadens more and more. We might look at one passage and have a deeper understanding as to we get a whole new interpretation. At least this is how it was and is for me. Once I understood more of what I was reading, it became more clear, and I am sure that this will continue until I die.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:23 AM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post

When we believe Him and in Him, we become Christians. Jesus went to that cross and became the last sacrifice for all of us. Our belief in Jesus, what He did, and our decision to allow Him into our lives seals us. We have invited the Holy Spirit into our lives and He knows what we need. The Spirit guides us in our walk in Christ. The Spirit knows our troubles, and when we seek out the Word of God for comfort, He often times directs us to certain passages for that comfort or for that wisdom or for that discipline.

This is where I mean that we can use that scripture for our lives today although it was written 2000 years ago. Since the scripture is a Living Word of God that can never go out of date, it applies to us as much as it did then. And we all have a personal relationship with God. Our walk in faith is very personal so how we think will affect how we relate to scripture. When we are fresh in our walk we will not see some things that we will see or understand when we have been walking in the Spirit for a while.

I guess what I am trying to say is our understanding broadens more and more. We might look at one passage and have a deeper understanding as to we get a whole new interpretation. At least this is how it was and is for me. Once I understood more of what I was reading, it became more clear, and I am sure that this will continue until I die.
I agree completely with you angel. Matthew 13:12 "To those who are open to my teaching more understanding will be given and they will have an abundance of knowledge. But to those who are not listening, even what they have will be taken away from them".
There is a deeper kind of listening that results in spiritual understanding. God is not the author of confusion, the devil is.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:30 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:

Quote:
I agree completely with you angel. Matthew 13:12 "To those who are open to my teaching more understanding will be given and they will have an abundance of knowledge. But to those who are not listening, even what they have will be taken away from them".
There is a deeper kind of listening that results in spiritual understanding. God is not the author of confusion, the devil is.
Amen! Words of wisdom, given lovingly and profound!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity