Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:26 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times

Advertisements

1. Do people have different interpretations of scripture? Why or why not?

2. Is scripture meant to be interpreted or is it mean to be read as is?

3. Can you take one line of scripture and run with it or do you need to read the lines in context?

3A. If you need to read them in context doesn't that equal interpretation?

4. Does anyone have examples of how a scripture is interpreted differently?

5. Is a person less of a Christian because they have a different interpretation than someone else (that is if scripture is mean to be interpreted)?

6. What does "interpret the scripture" mean?

7. What does "take the scripture literally" mean? Every line in the bible?

8. Finally.. Tacos or Chalupas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,004 times
Chalupas!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:48 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Taco's please!
And thank you very much!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:14 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Soft tacos please, and just a dab more sauce and sour cream..Whats a
chalupa?

Old 06-11-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Soft tacos please, and just a dab more sauce and sour cream..Whats a
chalupa?

Authentic Mexican Recipes: Chalupas

also known as awesome

Old 06-11-2008, 03:38 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

3. Can you take one line of scripture and run with it or do you need to read the lines in context?

5. Is a person less of a Christian because they have a different interpretation than someone else (that is if scripture is mean to be interpreted)?

1.Yes. Mostly it's due to how they were brought up and whether they tend to take things as they're given or do the research themselves.

2.Interpretations belong to God. Therefore, the scripture must be held up to the rest of the bible and the context of the verse in order to understand what it is really saying. Most of the time, the meaning becomes clear.

3. See above....I don't believe reading it in context means you are interpreting it...some things just don't make sense read out of context. Check out Shakespeare.

4. When Jesus said 'you will eat of flesh and drink of my blood' , some took him literally and became offended. Others were able to determine what he really meant because they had been listening more closely. This same thing can be done w/almost every important teaching point of his ministry.

5. Not my call. If you are earnest in your efforts to understand and truly believe you have the truth based on your studies, I believe God is accepting of you because of your heart condition. However, if you stubbornly refuse to accept something simply because it is not to your liking-that's a bit different.

6. To make sense of what you read and understand it clearly.

7. Taking things only at face value...even when something is stated as being a vision or parable.

8. Both!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
1.Yes. Mostly it's due to how they were brought up and whether they tend to take things as they're given or do the research themselves.

2.Interpretations belong to God. Therefore, the scripture must be held up to the rest of the bible and the context of the verse in order to understand what it is really saying. Most of the time, the meaning becomes clear.

3. See above....I don't believe reading it in context means you are interpreting it...some things just don't make sense read out of context. Check out Shakespeare.

4. When Jesus said 'you will eat of flesh and drink of my blood' , some took him literally and became offended. Others were able to determine what he really meant because they had been listening more closely. This same thing can be done w/almost every important teaching point of his ministry.

5. Not my call. If you are earnest in your efforts to understand and truly believe you have the truth based on your studies, I believe God is accepting of you because of your heart condition. However, if you stubbornly refuse to accept something simply because it is not to your liking-that's a bit different.

6. To make sense of what you read and understand it clearly.

7. Taking things only at face value...even when something is stated as being a vision or parable.

8. Both!
Thanks for the reply. FYI the wife and I have caught lots of trout near you on the Caney Fork.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:48 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. FYI the wife and I have caught lots of trout near you on the Caney Fork.
and leeches too, I'm sure.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
and leeches too, I'm sure.
Nah.. we were up closer to the dam.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:

1. Yes. Interpretations vary because some people take the bible more literally than others. I'm of the persuasion that you kind of need to know a little something about the times it was written in to decide how to interpret it.

2. To be interpreted. Meanings of words change over time. You can't take it literally.

3. You need mulitple lines of scripture AND to consider the times it was written in. How words may have changed, etc. etc. etc... For example, in biblical times to quote someone wasn't a verbatim quote like it is today. It was a paraphrase. It was what the listener took away from the lecture not the actual words. Hence the differences in the synoptic gospels. They're different viewpoints. You need to put them all together to get close to a complete picture.

3A - no. Historical context matters.

4. For example, I don't take the verse on women submitting to husbands to apply today. It was written in a time when a woman was SOL if she didn't have her husband to support her. I put this one with the verse about slaves obeying masters. If you happen to be born into a society that leaves you wholly dependent on someone else and subservient to someone else then it's probably best not to buck the system.

Today, woman have just as much opportunity to learn as men. More if she's a stay at home mom and has extra time to spend studying scriptures. Ditto for current events. Back in biblical times, she probably couldn't read and was too busy with her family to make it to the market square and hear the politicians debate or discuss religious issues. Everything she heard was second hand, filtered through her husband. Of course she was to learn in silence and submit. She lacked the education and information to make a decision herself.

5. No - so long as they believe in Christ.

6. Interpret is to look for the meaning. See my example above about slaves being admonished to obey masters. Taken literally, one could justify slavery. Taken as good advice to someone who happens to be stuck as slave it's just good advice to someone who happens to be stuck as a slave.

7. Taking it literally is to apply the words today with their meaning today which I don't support.

8. Tacos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity