Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:12 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findaway View Post
Thank you for this thread. It is needed to remind us to put on the full armour of God everyday. I don't know where it is at in the Bible. One lady that I went to a worship service with after we had prayed for a lady made a comment about me that did not line up with scripture. At first I was in shock. I couldn't believe someone could be so mean in a house of worship. She pretty much put me down right there in front of the lady we were praying for. I was new in the place. I went home and cried and prayed and couldn't believe someone would behave like this that is supposed to be a christian. At this point I could have quit going to the services or use what God had given me " the sword of the spirit". Next time I saw her I gave her a letter with Bible verses written on it such as, Nothing can seperate me from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus my Lord. I used the sword of the spirit which is the word of God to thank her. Because of her callous remark I went back to scripture to see who I was in Christ. Then I politly let her know. She never came back to a service after that. This was not my intention, but I'm still there and she is gone. My prayers are with her, but my thankfullness is toward God who gave me this armour to do warfare with. It works. To God be the glory!
Thanks for sharing, Findaway. Obviously this woman was not about God's business or she would have been humbled by the scriptures that you gave her and apologized. Sometimes we are unaware of our hurtful words, but since she did not return it's clear you called her out on her true intent. This is a good story to show that there are devilish people in churches who ARE NOT Christians.

Here's the scriptures you referred to. I started to reference them in my last post, so now's a good time to do that.

Ephesians 6:11
"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes."

Ephesians 6:12-17
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the power of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."
"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."
"Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with readiness that comes from the gospel of peace."
"In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one."
"Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 07:30 PM

Posted by Kelly237
Quote:
My point of deciding God was real was when I knew first hand that evil was real and a spiritual force. If evil was real I figured there had to be a God . A backwards approach.... which is normal for me
I found this statement in another thread in R&P "Why do Christians have trouble saying this". I think this speaks volumes about what I said in the OP. I pray that others will associate it and accept God like Kelly has.

Last edited by Ilene Wright; 06-15-2008 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Incorrect SN

Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
It seems there is more of a belief in Satan these days, more so than God. I don't really understand that, because the only way anyone would know about Satan is through God's Word. I want to put some scriptures here, and have a discussion about personal experiences or knowledge of experiences dealing with the power of Satan in the past or present.

Christians know that Satan will eventually be destroyed. God is victorious over evil, as stated in the Bible. I would like to have light shed on the realness of Satan and his army, and how He is at work right now, everywhere.

There are three things that Satan tries to convince people of:
1. We cannot be totally forgiven
2. We can never be changed
3. We cannot have hope

This is the doubt that he puts in people's minds. We know this is not true, because all of the above are completely possible through Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 6:12
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spirtual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

1 Peter 5:8
"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

Revelation 20:9-10 (Satan's doom)
"They (Satan's army) marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God's people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast (AntiChrist) and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

It doesn't matter how bizarre or weird you think your stories are......Satan IS bizarre and he needs to be acknowledged as real and people need to know there is spiritual warfare taking place right now, among us.
Well, apparantly the OP is worth me quoting myself....I just got rep points from a non-member for the OP. I've never had that happen before. That just goes to show us (Christians, and especially myself) that there are tons of people reading who aren't even members. Let's keep up the good work of Jesus Christ our precious Lord and Savior and warn, warn and keep warning!!! How encouraging!!! God bless you, Non-Member!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:17 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,797 times
Satan is a counterfitter. He gets as close to the Truth as he can. We used to joke that if some one went into a bank and gave them Monopoly money they wouldn't even arrest them. It would be a joke. But a real counterfitter spends years making plates and it takes an expert to tell the difference between real money and counterfit money. It is the same with God's truth. We need to know our Bible, stand firm in His word, so when Satan comes and attacks we will see the flaw, the disception in Satan's attact by knowing the Word of God.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,797 times
Years ago my brother, who was drinking at the time, got into Tarot cards. I went to visit him at his apartment and it just didn't feel right. The cards were on the floor and honestly I could just feel the evil. It has been the only time I have heard a voice say, "Flee". I turned to leave and my brother, who was a black belt in Karate' did kicks right to my head and I could feel my hair move. I just kept walking and praying. There was a feeling of "don't turn around just walk" which I did. I just walked out and drove away.
My brother became a Christian several years. He talked about the bondage he was in for years because of what he exposed himself to.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Years ago my brother, who was drinking at the time, got into Tarot cards. I went to visit him at his apartment and it just didn't feel right. The cards were on the floor and honestly I could just feel the evil. It has been the only time I have heard a voice say, "Flee". I turned to leave and my brother, who was a black belt in Karate' did kicks right to my head and I could feel my hair move. I just kept walking and praying. There was a feeling of "don't turn around just walk" which I did. I just walked out and drove away.
My brother became a Christian several years. He talked about the bondage he was in for years because of what he exposed himself to.
Thank you for sharing this story, Driftwood. I'm telling you, people do not realize just how REAL Satan is. When you have an experience like this it shakes you to your core, and Satan will especially deceive the naive....like I was. I still am very trusting and naturally assume that people are good. It's just not true. I really have to pray and remember to question and test all things.

There's a reason the Bible says not to yoke yourself to unbelievers!! Is being accepted by everyone in this temporary life worth losing your eternal salvation? Not to me!! It's hard for people not to care what others think of them, but being a Christian and staying a Christian requires fellowship with other believers and developing a thick Biblical skin against persecution. It is SO VERY IMPORTANT to remove all temptation from the path of the righteous walk.

Your brother probably got into the tarot cards out of curiosity and thought it was harmless. It's NOT!! But this is what happens...this is how the devil deceives. "Oh, go ahead, it's just cards, it's just a game, it's just one drink, you deserve it, you're only human"....these are the thoughts he puts in our minds. Praise God your brother is now saved!!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,589 times
Evil forces are at work throughout the whole world. We know this to be FACT.

The degree of Satan’s evil influence is revealed in 1 John 5:19: “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.”

“Keep your senses, be watchful. Your adversary, the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone.”—1 Peter 5:8.

“Woe for the earth . . . , because the Devil has come down to you, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time.” (Revelation 12:7-12)

Satan influences everyone, by promoting a spirit that governs the way that people think and act. There is clear appetite for SELF need, SELF interest, and SELF desire in today's world. People care only about themselves and have little regard for anyone else.

Look at the family unit....and this is only one example.... Parents who have no love or concern for their own children, they abuse, they neglect, they ignore......the whole parental unit/family unit is disconnected. People are thinking only of themselves. This is in all aspects of human life. Not only the family unit.... but it starts and ends there. "People are lovers of THEMSELVES."

Paul wrote: “We received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God.” (1 Corinthians 2:12)

Those led by God’s spirit grow to love what God loves and hate what he hates. (Amos 5:15)

Divine truth provides protection against deceptions. The truth is written in God's Word.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
Evil forces are at work throughout the whole world. We know this to be FACT.

The degree of Satan’s evil influence is revealed in 1 John 5:19: “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.”

“Keep your senses, be watchful. Your adversary, the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone.”—1 Peter 5:8.

“Woe for the earth . . . , because the Devil has come down to you, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time.” (Revelation 12:7-12)

Satan influences everyone, by promoting a spirit that governs the way that people think and act. There is clear appetite for SELF need, SELF interest, and SELF desire in today's world. People care only about themselves and have little regard for anyone else.

Look at the family unit....and this is only one example.... Parents who have no love or concern for their own children, they abuse, they neglect, they ignore......the whole parental unit/family unit is disconnected. People are thinking only of themselves. This is in all aspects of human life. Not only the family unit.... but it starts and ends there. "People are lovers of THEMSELVES."

Paul wrote: “We received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God.” (1 Corinthians 2:12)

Those led by God’s spirit grow to love what God loves and hate what he hates. (Amos 5:15)

Divine truth provides protection against deceptions. The truth is written in God's Word.
Absolutely, Razzel!!! Satan is the master deceiver, and these are excellent scriptures to emphasize that. His presence is not to be taken lightly or brushed off as just a made up character to scare people. He is SO very real, as is the evil he loves.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:23 PM

188 posts, read 506,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Yes....confusion. He's the one who puts the idea in people's heads that there is no God because there is no proof. He's the one who causes distractions when someone he felt sure was his decides to accept Christ. He's in all things worldly.....he's everywhere.
Satan also can DISTORT YOUR REASONING, one of the most important things I learned so far regarding the Devil. Confusion is one thing, but when you think your reasoning is substantial, or correct, it's wise to be careful, because you never know it oculd be distorted. Go figure.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:24 PM

188 posts, read 506,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Wow, unbelievable story! Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity