Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:33 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
These men are not in foxholes and do not appear to be under fire.
Yeah, like somebody is going to take the time to take a picture with them holding up that sign while they're in combat.

Makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 10:24 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,683,923 times
I like those plates! If we had them in Maryland, I'd proudly display it.

Lucy

Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 PM

322 posts, read 737,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Ye of little knowledge. Have you been to Iraq? Because it's not just the streets of Baghdad that are dangerous. What you don't know is that every day many of the bases come under mortar fire two to three times a day. I'm telling you... when they land close by you've never heard such an earth shattering boom. It's at that point... usually when you wake up to it that you realize that people really are trying to kill you. And yet... throughout the roughly 400 mortars that crashed through the base that I was at in my stay (some of them were quite close indeed), I never once rolled over and started praying. In fact, the thought never even crossed my mind.

Don't believe me about the mortars? Look up Camp Anaconda/Balad Air Base otherwise colloquially known as "Mortaritaville".
No, I've not been to Bagdad. My referance to an old saying was simply highlighting what someone else had said concerning the nature of some people who seek help from GOD when they are in great trouble, but forget GOD when the trouble passes.

As far as the foxhole thing goes, I assume that saying was made popular when infantry warfare in trenches and foxholes involved days on end of intense combat, usually resulting in many deaths, and much agonizing suffering, such as in ww1 and 2 (though I don't know the precise history of the origin of that saying)

As far as your experience in Bagdad goes, I'm glad you were given protection from the death over there and made it home alive.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
No, I've not been to Bagdad. My referance to an old saying was simply highlighting what someone else had said concerning the nature of some people who seek help from GOD when they are in great trouble, but forget GOD when the trouble passes.

As far as the foxhole thing goes, I assume that saying was made popular when infantry warfare in trenches and foxholes involved days on end of intense combat, usually resulting in many deaths, and much agonizing suffering, such as in ww1 and 2 (though I don't know the precise history of the origin of that saying)

As far as your experience in Bagdad goes, I'm glad you were given protection from the death over there and made it home alive.
Yeah, I'm sure that intense fighting and warfare such as man to man combat in trenches does a lot of things to people. I'm sure that for some it helps them renew or find faith and for others it completely breaks it. You're probably right as to where that saying comes from as well.

But, to say that those Army soldiers holding the "Atheists in Foxholes" sign weren't experiencing anything life threatening is a misnomer. Although the mortar attacks are typically pretty off target there have been quite a few fatalities from them as well.

My point was that there are indeed Atheists in Foxholes and while I do find it odd that many people turn to God after things like 9/11 there are those out there such as myself who don't do that sort of thing - up to and including in foxholes.

But, I'll let this conversation go the way of the Dodo as it is a bit off topic.

Back to license plates.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:43 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
My dad has talked about WW11 and said it made him think about God but didnt' become a Christian until years later.
Our son is a Marine Officer and spent a year in Iraq and a year in Afgan. he said you could see God moving. It goes back to God's timing I think. I'm sure you could be in that situation and not be moved to turn to God. But I do think for many they realize how every moment they are dependent on the living God.
I worked on a life squad for 15 years and I used to say, "you don't see Atheists in the ER either" Now I know that is a generalzation but there is something about being in a situation that you realize that you really have no control that sometimes pulls you toward God.
I do have a fish on my scooter but more than a sign about what we believe I think we need to "walk the walk" so that non-believers see Christ in our lives and want to know the "Good News". Our life is our witness.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:22 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Being right with God is the primary goal in my life, but I would not purchase one of those license plates. Actions and thoughts speak louder than pictures. I am not impressed with the stained glass back of the cross; it has nothing to do with believing in Christ. I would be more impressed with a plate that said something like: God first, Others second, Self last.
I agree with the poster who said that the main thing having such plates would do would be to cause others to observe the car owners actions more closely....whether they were observing the countries road laws, and being courteous towards other drivers, and towards pedestrians.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:42 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I worked on a life squad for 15 years and I used to say, "you don't see Atheists in the ER either" Now I know that is a generalzation but there is something about being in a situation that you realize that you really have no control that sometimes pulls you toward God.
I've been in numerous bad situations. Ones that involved my health or the health of someone close to me. I buried my father before I even hit the age of 18. Not once have I even thought about believing in your god.

Explain that.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
What bothers me about ANY endorsement of ANY religion by a government employee or institution is that you are just begging to attract a lawsuit from the ACLU or some other rights group. And in this day of lean government budgets why do government officials risk wasting the taxpayer's money by mixing religion with government???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity