U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:43 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,438,713 times

Advertisements

I didnt want to get to far off thread in another post, so I figured why not start a new one. So I was just curious, If you are liberal and a Christian, how do you view certain areas?
Do you agree or disagree with the statements on this webpage?

Straight Talk: Can a liberal be a Christian? (http://story-speaks.blogspot.com/2007/10/can-liberal-be-christian.html - broken link)

**I dont want to make anyone mad, Im just asking since the election is coming up, and Im sure these questions will be asked more and more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 04:01 PM

692 posts, read 1,671,093 times
I'm not mad. It just find it silly that you and Fabian seem to know what liberal Christians believe in. Maybe we just believe that you can not legislate morality.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:02 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,719,977 times
I have to admit.. I do have to chuckle when you read:

"Abortion is wrong.. unwed single mothers you need to raise your kids.. oh.. and welfare is wrong.. expect nothing from conservatives.."

Sorry.. its just illogical in my head..

Old 06-24-2008, 04:04 PM

After reading taht nonsense I'm sorry I responded to you on this and the other thread. I will try to avoid you from now on.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:06 PM

8,568 posts, read 15,692,915 times
Originally Posted by arguy1973
Quote:
So I was just curious, If you are liberal and a Christian, how do you view certain areas?
I dunno if people would label me a liberal or Christian, but it seems clear to me that some liberal points of the site reek of racism.

Quote:
Abortion = Murder.
Abortion is only murder if the law says it is murder. I mean if the law declares than racism is legal, then it is legal even when it is morally wrong.

Quote:
4. Liberals support welfare and govt. assistance from birth to the grave when in fact the Bible says for a man to support his family and to work hard.
Who do you think gives the government the money for gov. assistance?
Would that not be we, the people?
In that case would it then not be the case that a man is working hard to support his nation instead of just his family?

Quote:
5. Liberals believe in pacification and acceptance of any and all pagan gods when in fact the Bible says to distance yourself from those who worship pagans and to have no other gods before you
I refuse to believe in intolerance, even when it is God Himself who promotes intolerance.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:24 PM

602 posts, read 1,883,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
I'm not mad. It just find it silly that you and Fabian seem to know what liberal Christians believe in. Maybe we just believe that you can not legislate morality.
Not to be obnoxious, but it always bugs me to hear or read the phrase "You can't legislate morality". Yes, you can, and we do; moral codes are what laws are based on. Now, it becomes silly to legislate on certain areas of morality (e.g., consensual sex between married couples), but that doesn't mean that we don't "legislate morality" all the time.

That said, I guess the phrase does ring true if used in the sense of "Laws don't make a person good". If all you're doing is keeping within the law, reining in your impulses to kill or rape or rob, while "legally" taking advantage of people, then you might be law-abiding, but not so good. (Using the editorial "you", here.)

Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,719,977 times
I do like this though...

you click on the picture and lo and behold.. look at the address that pops up..

//pics.plentyofsite.com/dating/39/Greeneville_singles_10841216.jpg (broken link)

Its a dating site for singles..

Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
Not to be obnoxious, but it always bugs me to hear or read the phrase "You can't legislate morality". Yes, you can, and we do; moral codes are what laws are based on. Now, it becomes silly to legislate on certain areas of morality (e.g., consensual sex between married couples), but that doesn't mean that we don't "legislate morality" all the time.

That said, I guess the phrase does ring true if used in the sense of "Laws don't make a person good". If all you're doing is keeping within the law, reining in your impulses to kill or rape or rob, while "legally" taking advantage of people, then you might be law-abiding, but not so good. (Using the editorial "you", here.)
Your last paragraph proves what I stated.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:42 PM

602 posts, read 1,883,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
Your last paragraph proves what I stated.
Let me be sure I understand you: You're saying you agree with the second paragraph in my post? I wasn't sure if that's what you meant, or if you were angry and saying that I somehow confirmed your worst suspicions.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:54 PM

27 posts, read 58,920 times
Default In his time Jesus was..

considered a liberal !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity