Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,593 times

Advertisements

I have noticed here in town that a lot of churches are now charging for children to attend VBS. Let me clarify that I totally agree with the importance of making donations toward the materials, snacks, etc. however I do have a problem with churches actually charging for it. Our DD is attending two this week, one in the evening (our church - free and offering is received nightly) and one at a local church about two miles away, in the mornings. She is loving both. That morning one is asking each parent to contribute $15 per child, plus the daily offering and items for a homeless shelter. One problem I have run into, is that tonight she invited a friend, with my encouragement. I then thought about what I should do as far as the money is concerned for him, and then realized that by charging these churches are really discouraging kids from bringing friends. I just don't feel right asking parents my child invites to pay a fee. What do you all think about this, what seems to be becoming, a common practice?

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
It depends if the church actually needs the $15 to provide the service.
It seems wrong to me when a church is charging $15 if only $5 is needed.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,175 times
My friend in Washington was telling me about this last year. Apparently the churches near her charge. I've never known anyone around here to charge, though. Personally, I'm against it. Some of these kids have no exposure to the gospel outside of VBS. If they have to pay, the parents may be less likely to send them. I guess I just think if they can't fit it into the budget or come up with the funds ahead of time they probably shouldn't do it and maybe figure out a cheaper alternative.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:23 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,231 times
At my church the vbs is a everyday, for a full day, for a full week. The money is for lunch, snacks, a pizza party, and a bus ride to the park... to me, that seems fair... food and gas being as much as it is these days... plus I don't mind funding the art supplies and activities if that is also what the money goes towards.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:47 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Any Church that charges a child to attend vbs should be ashamed of themselves If they can't afford the supplies from their general fund then a love offering should be taken up months before vbs begins..I have talked to children who feel ashamed to attend Sunday School because they take up a collection there too Talk about "suffer" the children to come to me Not interested in hearing the arguements that it teaches the children the lesson of supportiung the church..I have heard that too many times from the pulpit of a meeting place I used to attend..

Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Any Church that charges a child to attend vbs should be ashamed of themselves If they can't afford the supplies from their general fund then a love offering should be taken up months before vbs begins..I have talked to children who feel ashamed to attend Sunday School because they take up a collection there too Talk about "suffer" the children to come to me Not interested in hearing the arguements that it teaches the children the lesson of supportiung the church..I have heard that too many times from the pulpit of a meeting place I used to attend..
I couldnt have said it better blue

VBS is suppose to be about fun, something that brings good memories for a lifetime, it only happens for one week out of the year. Surely knowing that you have a year to put money back or to ask for a separate fund for just VBS wouldnt be asking to much of whomever handles the money for the church. Half of the children that used to come to the VBS at our church were from very poor families. And we picked them up on the church bus...charging them to come?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:19 AM

255 posts, read 608,367 times
Our church participates in (and most years, hosts) an inter-denominational VBS. VBS is free for kids who register by a certain date and $15 for kids who register after that date or just show up. All the churches that participate are small and have correspondingly small budgets. If they know how many kids are coming ahead of time, they can make sure to get enough donations to cover the cost. Spur-of-the-moment, it's harder.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3
Quote:
That morning one is asking each parent to contribute $15 per child, plus the daily offering and items for a homeless shelter.
What about the children whose parents can't afford the $15?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:36 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 What about the children whose parents can't afford the $15?
I would think given the situation, then a church member could "sponsor" that child for the money. Not that I agree with charging but, if its done that way.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,200 times
My word! I have never heard of charging for VBS! What next? Are those groups ( I wouldn't call them 'churches') going to start charging admission to their assemblies ??? If a 'church' cannot afford to pay for their VBS themselves, they should not have one..IMHO !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity