Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 03:40 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times

Advertisements

Okay...time for The World's Most Obsessed Reader to comment. Moi! I devour books at a rate of two a week, at least. I don't think I can be spotted anywhere without a book in my purse or pocket or on my desk at work, or in line at the supermarket...so...A-hem:

The Shack. I found it extremely interesting, I found it a bit "Jesusy" for my tastes but I liked the overall message of forgiveness. I, too, lost a child, although not to murder, and it has lingered in my psyche for the nine years since, leading me occasionally to question "fault" and "what if" and "if only"...so The Shack tiouched on a lot of feelings for me. But did I find it heretical? Did I think it could be a threat to fundamentalists Christians? Good grief, no. Then again, I am not a Christian...but I once was, or tried to be, so I "get" the mind-set and the belief, I think.

People who find their beliefs threatened by a book or a story or a movie seem sort of lost to me. If there IS a God, why is it so important that it be a Male god? What's wrong or threatening with a black female god? Maybe god is a green he/she! Maybe god is a Puerto Rican janitor! This whole thread has had some very frustrated posts from Christians, I think, and it seems to me that it's really not about any of that at all. The Shack perhaps touches on something far deeper than Christian dogma...or maybe it is just a novel and should be taken as that and nothing more.

Read June...read!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 03:42 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
P.S.

Read The Story Of Edgar Sawtelle...marvelous!!!!

Old 10-12-2008, 04:54 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post

Read June...read!!!

June: reading and mesmerized.

Onto chapter 7.

Can't put it down. <-----And June has things she needs to do, get done before tomorrow!!!!!

(Oh well. Too bad, eh?)

Old 10-13-2008, 04:54 AM

Question:

June is finishing this book today, come "hell or high water." (Translation: It's coming to work with her, as she can't put it down!)

()

But June just wants to know: When she's done, is she going to be discussing it with herself?

Oh! What a scarey, scarey proposition that could be!

Old 10-13-2008, 01:15 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
no she wont)

Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
I just picked it up this afternoon. I'm about to start it in just a minute. Wish me luck...

Old 10-13-2008, 02:02 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
Same here. A co-worker suggested I read it and gave it to me about 2 months ago. Because of this thread, I'm pulling it out of my desk drawer and starting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I just picked it up this afternoon. I'm about to start it in just a minute. Wish me luck...

Old 10-13-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
no she wont)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Same here. A co-worker suggested I read it and gave it to me about 2 months ago. Because of this thread, I'm pulling it out of my desk drawer and starting it.
June just loves company...

Hope to finish it tonight...Didn't get much reading done at work today.

It could get REAL SCAREY if she discussed the book with herself, it really could...You just never know!

(June having a discussion with herself in the third person. Hmmmm...I like that!)

P.S. World Citizen: Have you finished it yet?

Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Well, I'm halfway done with it thus far. I am developing probably what is a different take than what a lot of people will get out of it although I understand the audience is directed more towards believers than a heathen such as myself. I'm going to bite my tongue for now as I'd prefer not to comment on it without having finished it as I'm sure the book can lead down many different paths from this point. But, overall, it has surprisingly captured my attention and interest which is not too common with modern day fiction.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm halfway done with it thus far. I am developing probably what is a different take than what a lot of people will get out of it although I understand the audience is directed more towards believers than a heathen such as myself. I'm going to bite my tongue for now as I'd prefer not to comment on it without having finished it as I'm sure the book can lead down many different paths from this point. But, overall, it has surprisingly captured my attention and interest which is not too common with modern day fiction.
Oh thank God.

June's not alone.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity