Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:52 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,711,752 times

Advertisements

Won't hold up in court...or shouldn't.

If you go and purchase a book, you are initiating the 'relationship'. And if you believe in what the author is saying, you consent. If you don't believe it, you discount the author.

Plain and simple. That's what makes our country great...free speech. No one FORCED the purchase of the book.

And when it comes to choice of clergy...it's just that...choice. Anyone can 'fire' their clergy if they disagree. They also don't have to shop at Walmart. They don't have to buy a Ford. If they choose to continue to go to worship at the place where they disagree w/ the preacher/pastor they are consenting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,716,705 times
Exclamation Homosexuals trying to rewrite the Bible

...Bradley LaShawn Fowler of Canton, Michigan, does not like the fact that the Bibles produced by Zondervan and Thomas Nelson Publishers both accurately convey God's prohibition against homosexual behavior. So he is suing in federal court, seeking $10 million from Thomas Nelson and $60 million from Zondervan.

Read the rest of the article: 'Bible' lawsuit may be sign of things to come (OneNewsNow.com) (http://www.onenewsnow.com/Legal/Default.aspx?id=191460 - broken link)

Old 07-28-2008, 11:55 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,647,286 times
How do you know the Bible does accurately convey God's opinion on homosexual behaviour? How do you know it hasn't been screwed around with before by the hand of man? The prohibition of homosexuality is one of the more illogical rules in the Bible as it does not hurt anyone just so long as it is between consenting adults so I don't see why this might not be the case. I'm not saying Mr. Fowler is right to assume however I also don't think it's right to assume that everything in the Bible is how it was originally set out either.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,541 times
Hoos,
We are a "sue" happy nation. This will not change. Funny thing, my husband is in a dispute with our cable/phone/internet provider (hence, I'm on dial-up). They did not provide the service for the amount of cha-ching that they said they would and our bill was astronomical. Last week, dear hubby went down, check in hand, to resolve the issue. They sent him home with a print-out of what (in great detail and purely uncomprehensable to the common man) they were charging us. I pulled out the calculator and my fine-toothed comb and gave it the once-over. I sat down with my DH and explained to him as best as I could what the whole bunch of hoopla was and suggested that he take the advertised price (which I had a copy of) and the bill and go back down. He wanted ME to get on the phone with the commisioner's office and whoever else would listen and take care of these rotten scoundrels. Well, I very calmly explained to my husband that I did not have the time, nor the desire to do that. THAT was of this world and it was not worth the time or energy that I would have to give it.

My point is, if I even have one, that sometimes we spend too much of our God-given time and talent worrying about things of THIS world that are not ours to worry about. The cable companies will always be here and they will always be ripping the consumer off. Same goes for the phone companies and all the "sue" happy lawyers. I have 5 beautiful children to worry about. God has given them to me for just a time. It is my responsibility to teach them right from wrong and hope that they choose "right".

May we all somehow find peace in this world...

<><

Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times
Discussed on an early thread too

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...anslation.html

If I remember correctly he isn't attempting to rewrite the bible. He is suing over pain and suffering.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:06 PM

I posted in another thread regarding this before I discovered this one so I'll just repost what I originally said:

How do you know the Bible does accurately convey God's opinion on homosexual behaviour? How do you know it hasn't been screwed around with before by the hand of man? The prohibition of homosexuality is one of the more illogical rules in the Bible as it does not hurt anyone just so long as it is between consenting adults so I don't see why this might not be the case. I'm not saying Mr. Fowler is right to assume and I think it's a stupid thing to sue over however I also don't think it's right to assume that everything in the Bible is how it was originally set out either.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
Originally Posted by Hoosier
Quote:
Homosexuals trying to rewrite the Bible
So?
Heterosexuals do this all the time.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by HoosierSo?
Heterosexuals do this all the time.
Spot on, my friend.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:40 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,716,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
How do you know the Bible does accurately convey God's opinion on homosexual behaviour? How do you know it hasn't been screwed around with before by the hand of man? The prohibition of homosexuality is one of the more illogical rules in the Bible as it does not hurt anyone just so long as it is between consenting adults so I don't see why this might not be the case. I'm not saying Mr. Fowler is right to assume however I also don't think it's right to assume that everything in the Bible is how it was originally set out either.
We know it's true because it has been preserved for thousands of years with the same words and message.

Why is the prohibition of homosexuality an illogical rule in the Bible? You and I are only human and did not write the Bible, so how could either of us say what is illogical when we are not the author?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
We know it's true because it has been preserved for thousands of years with the same words and message.

Why is the prohibition of homosexuality an illogical rule in the Bible? You and I are only human and did not write the Bible, so how could either of us say what is illogical when we are not the author?
The Bible was written by men. Perhaps they were inspired by God, perhaps they were not, however, they were the ones who put the pen to the... papyrus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity