Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:11 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,541,906 times

Advertisements

oy vey....

didn't you guys read?

23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
He didn't correct them either when they said "Truly you are the SON of God".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 AM

810 posts, read 1,432,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
oy vey....

didn't you guys read?

23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
Many people still use names that emody "God" or use the name of "Jehovah/Yahweh". Mary named him Jesus. So what of the other names...

Isaiah 9:6 said concerning this one: "His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." None of these names were given to Mary’s firstborn as personal names, neither when he was a baby nor after he took up his ministry. Rather, they were all prophetic title-names by which the Messiah would be identified. Jesus lived up to the meaning of these names in every respect, and that is the sense in which they were prophetically given, to show his qualities and the good offices he would perform toward all those accepting him as Messiah. So also with his title Immanuel. He measured up to and fulfilled its meaning.

Just like a son who so embodies the qualities of his father, we often remark...it's like having the father with us.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:50 AM

thank you for providing other verses....

do you think they would call someone God if He wasn't God?

Quote:
Many people still use names that emody "God" or use the name of "Jehovah/Yahweh". Mary named him Jesus. So what of the other names...

Isaiah 9:6 said concerning this one: "His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." None of these names were given to Mary’s firstborn as personal names, neither when he was a baby nor after he took up his ministry. Rather, they were all prophetic title-names by which the Messiah would be identified. Jesus lived up to the meaning of these names in every respect, and that is the sense in which they were prophetically given, to show his qualities and the good offices he would perform toward all those accepting him as Messiah. So also with his title Immanuel. He measured up to and fulfilled its meaning.

Just like a son who so embodies the qualities of his father, we often remark...it's like having the father with us.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
thank you for providing other verses....

do you think they would call someone God if He wasn't God?
Jesus being referred to as a "Mighty God" doesn't mean he is the ALMIGHTY GOD. Satan is called the "god of this system of things".

Jesus clearly points to his Father, the ALMIGHTY GOD...Jehovah, Yahweh (I know how you feel about those names) as the one in charge.

Anything can be your "god"...money, food, entertainment, the sun, etc...but there is only 1 true God- the father (whatever His name may be). Just a thought here...not accusing or passing judgement...just a train of thought that popped in my head...

...if you consider Jesus your "God" and he's not the true God are you worshiping the wrong God?
I'm sure you could turn around and say the same to me in return.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:12 AM

Whether Jesus is pointing to the Holy Spirit or God the Father....that has nothing to do with Jesus being God or not.

Jesus is God, and you know that the Jews were very careful in calling anyone 'God'

Quote:
Jesus being referred to as a "Mighty God" doesn't mean he is the ALMIGHTY GOD. Satan is called the "god of this system of things".

Jesus clearly points to his Father, the ALMIGHTY GOD...Jehovah, Yahweh (I know how you feel about those names) as the one in charge.

Anything can be your "god"...money, food, entertainment, the sun, etc...but there is only 1 true God- the father (whatever His name may be). Just a thought here...not accusing or passing judgement...just a train of thought that popped in my head...

...if you consider Jesus your "God" and he's not the true God are you worshiping the wrong God?
I'm sure you could turn around and say the same to me in return.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 AM

and how is they called Him

'Eternal Father'?

Quote:

Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 AM

I knew that was coming...Ren I'll leave it up to you to move this if you want...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 AM

so you want to take it outside huh?

as in the words of McCain/Obama Danceoff...

Let's do this lol

Quote:
I knew that was coming...Ren I'll leave it up to you to move this if you want...

Old 12-02-2008, 01:44 PM

Eternal Father...**sigh**
Well, Adam was the first father of the human race. However, he lost the opportunity to be an "eternal father" when he sinned. He could no longer give his children everlasting life as an inheritance. Jesus, on the other hand, did not sin. And by sacrificing his sinless life for mankind, he opened the way to everlasting life for those who exercised faith. (John 3:16; 1 John 2:2) He thus will give them the everlasting life that Adam failed to give them. Hence, the Bible calls him "the last Adam," "a life-giving spirit." (1 Corinthians 15:45) He is properly called the "Eternal Father" of the future perfect human race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity