Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 02:31 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,615,424 times

Advertisements

1. Scripture

2. Logic

3. Conscience

#1 would probably the most important for most believers. My personal belief is that it is no more important than the other 2 I've listed.

#2 will be more controversial. Let me point out though that our English word 'logic' actually comes from the Greek word 'logos' which means "a word, uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea". Yes, there is a 'natural' logic or reasoning which cannot comprehend the ways of God. Then there is a supernatural logic which has it's source IN God (as does the human race). AKA "the spirit of wisdom and revelation". Contrary to popular belief God CAN be understood.

#3 is just as important as the other two because it is implanted in us by God to enable us to relate to the first two AND to keep the first two in check. "What?!!" someone may say. "Keep the scriptures in check? How dare you!" Approximately 30,000 denominations later I will insist: Yes - to keep the scriptures in check.

Comments?

blessings,
- Byron

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:50 PM

Default I've noticed that....

After our last trinity 'go around' no one is coming anywhere near these trinity threads, even though this isn't really about that subject. Maybe I should change the title?

blessings,
- Byron

Last edited by firstborn888; 07-18-2008 at 11:39 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 11:04 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted firstborn888
Quote:
Mythical discourse attempted to express the more elusive truths, and was not expected to conform too closely with objective realities in the external world. Logos however, had to be practical, effective, and accurate. On the battlefield and in councils of war, soldiers confronted questions of life and death. Instead of asking, ‘What is the ultimate meaning of this event?’ the men of logos asked, ‘What happened?’ and ‘What shall we do?’ Logos was driven by immediate, practical need, and it was vital that any soldier feel able to challenge the battle plan that would affect all alike, because the group needed all the expertise available.
Source: Karen Armstrong, The Great Transformations.
The Logos would never replace the Mythos of the poets. You could say that spirituality and religion are mainly mythos and that science is mostly logos. I bet that most people who believe themselves to be scientists will not believe me when I say that Logos was born in war.
The trinity concept is not necessary for human survival, thus cannot be Logos and can only be Mythos of the poets.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
The Logos would never replace the Mythos of the poets. You could say that spirituality and religion are mainly mythos and that science is mostly logos. I bet that most people who believe themselves to be scientists will not believe me when I say that Logos was born in war.
The trinity concept is not necessary for human survival, thus cannot be Logos and can only be Mythos of the poets.
You make a great point here. However I would submit to you that there is a spiritual logos as well. Automatically there is an abstract quality to it as spirit cannot be seen physically or tested physically and that's why I am encouraging believers to put any scriptural interpretation through a rigorous test of spiritual (supernatural) logic and conscience.

Since the contents of the bible are largely symbolic it is impossible to come to an understanding of God by just reading and 'believing'. The words must be spiritually discerned.

Sadly, what many of my colleagues refer to as 'discernment' is the ability to turn ones logic and conscience off and simply say 'I believe!' no matter how absurd the literal or abstract conclusions may be. This is why I believe that bible literalism works against the kingdom of God.

Blessings,
- Byron

Last edited by firstborn888; 07-19-2008 at 01:14 AM..

Old 07-19-2008, 01:41 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
You make a great point here. However I would submit to you that there is a spiritual logos as well. Automatically there is an abstract quality to it as spirit cannot be seen physically or tested physically and that's why I am encouraging believers to put any scriptural interpretation through a rigorous test of spiritual (supernatural) logic and conscience.

Since the contents of the bible are largely symbolic it is impossible to come to an understanding of God by just reading and 'believing'. The words must be spiritually discerned.

Sadly, what many of my colleagues refer to as 'discernment' is the ability to turn ones logic and conscience off and simply say 'I believe!' no matter how absurd the literal or abstract conclusions may be. This is why I believe that bible literalism works against the kingdom of God.

Blessings,
- Byron
which pill, the red one or the blue one?

Choices choices...

Old 07-19-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
which pill, the red one or the blue one?

Choices choices...
Take all three, the red the blue and the white

Then you will be delivered from the rabbit hole/trail and be fully immersed in the "One".

Blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-19-2008, 06:22 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by firstborn888
Quote:
Then you will be delivered from the rabbit hole/trail and be fully immersed in the "One".
There is no "One"; everything is "One".

Quote:
Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

The matrix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity