Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 10:45 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

A new survey shows that "unchurched" Americans may be worshipping more, and "churched" Americans worshipping less, than many people might think.

Numerous surveys track trends among "unchurched" Americans, but what does "unchurched" really mean? Does it mean never attending religious services, not attending regularly, or to simply be unaffiliated with a particular congregation?

'Unchurched' worshipping more, 'churched' less? - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 11:35 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,135 times
I find this very interesting because I read a similar article about a year ago. I am not sure if they are trying to make the same point. It may be something totally different, but still seems like it could be related or could be the motive for the article you read. The article I read addressed the fact that many of those who were raised in the church, and active into their 30s and 40s, are leaving, or just not showing up anymore, because of the new, megachurch philosophy which seems to have overtaken religion in many Protestant churches. Churches are now being referred to as auditoriums rather than santuaries, naves or simply, churches. The altar is now being referred to as the stage. Contemporary music has replaced tradtional music. Praise bands have replaced traditional choirs, etc. because those who are younger and often as they were growing up, unchurched, are more comfortable in these settings and with these terms, then they are with the traditional methods and terms. This in turn is making many of those who have been known as churched, usually middle aged and retired aged people feel uncomfortable and they are leaving the church in droves, according to the article. The article mentioned they are not only leaving because they don't like the new way of doing things, but are often being pushed out by Pastors and church staff because these people are being made to feel that if they have a different, more traditional philosophy, they are not as valuable to the church and are even hindering it's growth. In my opinion, the article does have some merit.

Nancy

Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A new survey shows that "unchurched" Americans may be worshipping more, and "churched" Americans worshipping less, than many people might think.

Numerous surveys track trends among "unchurched" Americans, but what does "unchurched" really mean? Does it mean never attending religious services, not attending regularly, or to simply be unaffiliated with a particular congregation?

'Unchurched' worshipping more, 'churched' less? - USATODAY.com

I haven't been to church in 4 years and I think about God and his wonders and how I should study and reflect and praise him more than I ever did while I was going.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 AM

179 posts, read 289,611 times
Thats how I have been for several years now.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 AM

823 posts, read 1,401,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I haven't been to church in 4 years and I think about God and his wonders and how I should study and reflect and praise him more than I ever did while I was going.
I do not attend Church at this time and I have never felt closer to God! I think about him and pray for his Love throughout my days and I have never felt more blessed in my life.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:55 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
I find this very interesting because I read a similar article about a year ago. I am not sure if they are trying to make the same point. It may be something totally different, but still seems like it could be related or could be the motive for the article you read. The article I read addressed the fact that many of those who were raised in the church, and active into their 30s and 40s, are leaving, or just not showing up anymore, because of the new, megachurch philosophy which seems to have overtaken religion in many Protestant churches. Churches are now being referred to as auditoriums rather than santuaries, naves or simply, churches. The altar is now being referred to as the stage. Contemporary music has replaced tradtional music. Praise bands have replaced traditional choirs, etc. because those who are younger and often as they were growing up, unchurched, are more comfortable in these settings and with these terms, then they are with the traditional methods and terms. This in turn is making many of those who have been known as churched, usually middle aged and retired aged people feel uncomfortable and they are leaving the church in droves, according to the article. The article mentioned they are not only leaving because they don't like the new way of doing things, but are often being pushed out by Pastors and church staff because these people are being made to feel that if they have a different, more traditional philosophy, they are not as valuable to the church and are even hindering it's growth. In my opinion, the article does have some merit.

Nancy
These are some GREAT points! I attended traditional church for most of my life, but turned to the mega-church style church by the time I was in my mid to late 20s. Compared to the traditional church, the mega-church fit my tastes at that time. It was not as legalisitic, more progressive and more entertaining. In the end for me, however, I rejected Christianity and religion on a whole so it mattered not to me which one was better or worse.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I do not feel the need or the push/guilt trip from family members, or friends anymore to attend a building with a particular name on it in order to please Him..

The Spirit pushed me away from that into a personal, peaceful, loving and abiding relationship with Him..I do not judge or condemn others for their worship practices, or where, or who they worship with..
God places each of us where He desires for our growth and for the growth of HIS church..

I answer His call now, not man's religion's orders..

Old 04-29-2010, 08:25 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
having gone through a long process of freeing myself from indoctrination,
i know soul and spirit to have an existence in every culture and worship being an essential need for mankind from ancient times.

before any association and/or affiliation, there is brotherhood that makes us truly human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity