Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM

258 posts, read 788,994 times

Advertisements

I answer reader questions on my website, this is what I replied to a person who aked a similar question;

QUESTION: "Every religious tv show I see someone is saying "Believe on Jesus and be saved," what does that mean? Do they really mean believe IN Jesus? How can believing in Jesus save someone? Is believing all their is to salvation?"

ANSWER: Some people like to pronounce or use words uncommon to normal usage when speaking of matters of faith, perhaps it makes them feel more pious, but for whatever reason, saying believing <i>on</i> Jesus is akin to saying something like counting <i>on</i>. And yes, it means the same thing as believing in Jesus.

How does believing in Jesus save us? To understand we must go back to the beginning, to the Sin, It's Origin & It'd Destiny (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/1Astudy4sin1.html - broken link)origin of sin.

God created Adam as a perfect human, that meant he had no sin. Having no sin meant that he suffered none of sin's effects today, illness, aging, tendency toward wrongdoing, death. Had he remained obedient to God's small test of his faith (don't eat from that tree) he would have continued to live young and healthy everlastingly, he and all of his descendants. This was God's original purpose for all of mankind. (TheBlessing of the Messianic Kingdom (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/WhyWeNeedGodthekingdom.html - broken link)and still is)<P>

Adam, however, failed his test and disobeyed God, showing that he'd rather choose independently and for himself what was right and wrong. God this allowed mankind, Adam and all of his descendants, to govern themselves (to understand WHY Dod did this see this link (broken link)) taking upon them sin and it's effects, the ultimate effect of which, the punishment, DEATH, WHAT IS IT? (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/1Astudy2death1.html - broken link)death.

God did not give up on his original purpose when this happened. He prophesied (Gen 3:14-15) that He would send a seed into the world who would crush the instigator of sin (Satan - Gen 3:1-7) thus end sin.

This seed was God's only begotten Son Jesus. When God carried out his prophesy and sent His Son, and because Jesus was born upon earth by holy spirit and not by a human male's fertilization, he did not inherit human sin. Jesus was born sinless. If he could maintain his integrity to God and never fall to sin, his sinless blood sacrificed for us would buy back (pay the ransom price) that which Adam, by sinning, lost; perfection (sinlessness) and everlasting life. Christ did just this. (Heb 9:11-12, 24)

So what is a ransom and why was one needed in payment to restore God's original purpose, to reconcile man with God and to forgive and eventually remove our sin?

The Bible helps us understand matters by using a number of terms that describe or illustrate this, it speaks of the ransom in terms of a purchase, a reconciliation, a propitiation, a redemption, and an atonement. (Ps 49:8 / Dan 9:24 / Gal 3:13 / Col 1:20 / Heb 2:17 /Matt 20:28)

The Greek word ly'tron comes from a verb meaning “to loose.” It was used to describe money paid in exchange for the releasing of prisoners of war. In the Hebrew Scriptures, however, the word for ransom, ko'pher, comes from a verb meaning to “cover” or “overlay.” For example, God told Noah to cover (ka'phar) the ark with tar. (Gen 6:14) From this viewpoint, then, to ransom, or to atone for sins, means to cover sins. (Ps 65:3)

The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament notes that ko'pher “always denotes an equivalent,” or correspondency. Thus, the cover (kap'po'reth) of the ark of the covenant corresponded in shape to the ark itself. Likewise, in atoning for sin, or ransoming, divine justice demands ‘soul for soul, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.’ (Deut 19:21) At times, though, justice can be satisfied if an equivalent is offered in lieu of strict punishment. <i>A ransom must be the equivalent of that for which it substitutes, or covers or else it's worth far outweighs that for which it is given.</i> The animal sacrifices that men of faith from Abel onward offered up could not really cover men’s sins, since humans are superior to brute beasts. (Ps 8:4-8) Paul could thus write that “it is not possible for the blood of bulls and of goats to take sins away.” Such sacrifices could serve simply as a pictorial, or symbolic, covering in anticipation of the ransom that was to come. (Heb 10:1-4)

This foreshadowed ransom had to be the exact equivalent of Adam, since the death penalty that God justly applied to Adam resulted in the condemnation of the human race. “In Adam all are dying,” (1Cor 15:22) So it was not necessary for thousands of millions of individual humans to die sacrificial deaths to correspond to each individual of Adam’s progeny. “Through <i>one</i> man [Adam] sin entered into the world and death through sin.” (Romans 5:12) And “since death is through "A" man,” redemption of mankind could also come “through "A" man.” (1 Cor 15:21)

The man who could be the ransom had to be a perfect human of flesh and blood, the exact equal of Adam. (Rom 5:14) "God on earth" as Christendom teaches Jesus was, would not balance the scales of justice, in fact it would throw them completely out of balance, for remember, <i>a ransom must be the equivalent of that for which it substitutes, or covers or else it's worth far outweighs that for which it is given.</i> Only a perfect human, someone not under the Adamic death sentence, could offer “a corresponding ransom,” one corresponding perfectly to Adam. (1 Tim 2:6) By voluntarily sacrificing his life, this “last Adam” could pay the wage for the sin of the “first man Adam.” (1Cor 15:45, 47 / Rom 6:23)

This ransom, for all who accept it's worth, provides us with a forgiveness of all sins prior to our acceptance and further sins as long as we do not do the deliberately and a long as they are accompanied by regret, repentance and a sincere striving to do them no more. This allows us a clean conscience before God. But the ransom has a much larger meaning and it will see it's complete fulfillment after this world, this system of things is destroyed and God's promised new world is brought in under the kingdom rule. We will have the complete removal of our sins and be restored to perfection which will mean we shall live life everlasting without aging, illness or a tendency to do bad. <i>This</i> is how believing in Jesus saves. (Acts 16:30-31, 4:12 / Jh 3:36 / 1Pet 1:8-9)

Is believing all there is to salvation?

Perhaps you have noticed how many people who claim to have been saved do not live lives that make their Christian decision evident. Often their behaviour is no different than before they accepted Christ. Many do not even know a thing about Christ, God or the issues of the Bible. There is reason for this. Christendom is not even sure what this basic doctrine (ransom/salvation) means. For instance The New Catholic Encyclopedia says about this "The theology of the Redemption is in some part unachieved and continues to pose itself as a problem in theology." Also, Christendom does not understand what it means to be NO PART OF THE WORLD? (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/1AQAnopartworld.html - broken link)no part of the world (Jh 15:19) this they see no wrong in
CHRISTENDOM'S "ROTTEN FRUITS" (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/Christendomsways.html - broken link)<a worldly CHRISTENDOM IN RECENT NEWS (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/christendomnews.html - broken link)conduct and further teach that once a person is saved they are henceforth forgiven no matter what sort of person they are, no matter what one does with their life. Their message then is really that there is no reason to change for Christ's ransom covers all for all time. Not only is this wrong but it is dangerous. (Jude 4) It is like saying it's ok to be an alcoholic as long as you always have a designated driver.

Is that reasonable? Is salvation a one-time act of faith that hardly effects our lives or is it a continual <i>way</i> of life? (Acts 19:23) Could we rightly expect the benefits and blessings of Christ's ransom sacrifice without the responsibility of following and obeying him? (Heb 5:9) What is the truth of the matter?

Making the decision to accept Christ should not be merely an act of emotional provocation. It is a decision one should consider seriously for it comes with responsibility.

One responsibility of accepting Christ is following Christ. You must follow his example for he is the model after which you are to pattern your behaviour and your life. ((1Jh 2:6 / Jh 13:15 / Heb 12:2 / Jh 13:13 / 1Pet 2:21) This includes removing from your life absolutely every sinful and undesirable practice, and from your personality, every objectionable trait. Accepting Christ is life changing. Why? One word, appreciation. The gift of Jesus Christ's ransom sacrifice is one of such insurmountable worth and one that brings with it so many wonderful blessings that merely understanding this should compel you to "go on walking just as that one walked."

Rom 12:2; "And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

1Pet 1:14-16; "As obedient children, quit being fashioned according to the desires you formerly had in your ignorance, but, in accord with the Holy One who called you, do you also become holy yourselves in all [your] conduct, because it is written: “You must be holy, because I am holy.”

Col 3:5-10; "Deaden, therefore, your body members that are upon the earth as respects fornication, uncleanness, sexual appetite, hurtful desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of those things the wrath of God is coming. In those very things you, too, once walked when YOU used to live in them. But now really put them all away from you, wrath, anger, badness, abusive speech, and obscene talk out of your mouth. Do not be lying to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, and clothe yourselves with the new [personality], which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,"

1Cor 6:9-11; "What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom. And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean, but you have been sanctified, but you have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God."

Eph 4:17-24; "This, therefore, I say and bear witness to in [the] Lord, that you no longer go on walking just as the nations also walk in the unprofitableness of their minds, while they are in darkness mentally, and alienated from the life that belongs to God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the insensibility of their hearts. Having come to be past all moral sense, they gave themselves over to loose conduct to work uncleanness of every sort with greediness. But you did not learn the Christ to be so, provided, indeed, that you heard him and were taught by means of him, just as truth is in Jesus, that you should put away the old personality which conforms to your former course of conduct and which is being corrupted according to his deceptive desires; but that you should be made new in the force actuating your mind, and should put on the new personality which was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty." (Really you should continue to read on through chapters 4, 5 & 6)

Do these texts say that we can go on living just as we are, unchanged? No, they do not.

Jesus himself invited those who believed in him; "Come, be my followers." He also said in a rather forthright manner; "Whoever does not accept his torture stake (cross) [which means to say "no" to self & our former desires] and follow after me <i>is not worthy of me</i>." Further, "Those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus... will undergo judicial punishment." Following Jesus, as you can see, is <i>not</i> optional. (Matt 10:38, 16:24 / Lu 18:18-23 / 2Thess 1:8-9)

Other that removing the wrongs from our behaviour and practice in emulation of Jesus, another way to follow him is by preaching, or telling others about, the good news of the kingdom and all the other truths you have learned. This was not only the primary work of Jesus' life, but spreading the truth is a necessary part of ever Christian's life too, indeed it is a command that Christ laid upon his followers. (Matt 28:18-20 / Jh 18:37)

To do this and also to accomplish the changing of your life and ways, you must have knowledge, and taking in knowledge is another responsibility of accepting Christ. Jesus said himself in prayer to his Father, "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ." (Jh 17:3) This is just one of many Scriptures that directly link salvation to everlasting life with taking in knowledge. (1Tim 2:3-4 / 1Pet 2:2 / Matt 4:4 / Hos 4:6 / Prov 2:10-12, 2:20-21, 1:28-29)

Accepting these responsibilities and accomplishing them are the "works" that keep our faith from being "dead." (Jas 2:17 / Heb 11:1 / Rom 10:17) So you see, contrary to what you may have been lied to about Jehovah's Witnesses and their adherence to works, it is not in thought of earning salvation that we do these things, but it is in profound appreciation of salvation's free gift that we are compelled to do them. Those who accept Christ and then refuse to accept the responsibilities that come with it are really proving their faith dead, or false to it's power. (2Tim 3:5 / Jas 2:21-26 / Tit 3:8 / Heb 10:38, 11:6 / Jh 15:6) It takes effort to keep ones faith (1Cor 16:13 / 2Cor 13:5 / 1Pet 5:9 / 1Tim 6:12) Conversely, it takes effort to keep ones salvation.

Sadly, many in Christendom who accept Christ do not wish to put forth such effort, and indeed their religious leaders tell them they do not have to, but Jesus, answering a question about the number of persons being saved, said; "<i>Exert yourselves vigorously</i> to get in through the narrow door because many, I tell you, will seek to get in but will not be able." (Lu 13:23-24 / Matt 7:13-14)

<I>EXERT YOURSELVES VIGOROUSLY.</I> = <I>EFFORT.</I>

Jesus never even alluded to the lazy ideas promoted today about salvation. He didn't say that those who merely "begin" the Christian way of life (2Pet 2:2) will be saved but that those who exert themselves vigorously and those who "endure to the end" will be saved. Those who take up Christ's truths and stand apart from the world will be hated and persecuted (2Tim 3:12 / Matt 10:22 / Jh 15:20) and so endurance, great strength of faith, is vital. No simple one-time act statement of faith could do this. (Matt 10:22) This too takes knowledge. (Rom 2:6-7, 15:4, 12:12, 5:3-5, 8:25 / Jas 1:12 / Eccl 7:12 / Lu 21:19, 1:5-8 / 2Pet 3:17 / Eph 6:16 / Heb 10:36, 12:1-2 / Col 1:10-11)

Once again, <i>ENDURANCE = EFFORT</I>

The apostle Paul, even though he was directly chosen by a risen Christ to carry the truth to all the nations, did not make the arrogant mistake of believing that his salvation was once and for all time assured. He had witnessed many who had slowed down, drifted away and given up in the "race for life." (1Tim 1:19-20 / Heb 2:1, 12:1) That is why he repeatedly reminded fellow Christians that they are in a strenuous and continuous contest. (1Cor 9:24/ Eph 6:12 / 1Tim 6:12) Paul said that he pummeled his body and led it as a slave that after he had preached to others he himself would not become somehow disapproved. (1Cor 9:27 / Acts 9:5-6, 15) "We need to keep working out our salvation with fear and trembling." (Ph 3:12-14, 2:12) Even though all who enter the race want to finish it and win the prize of everlasting life through Christ's salvation, only those who resolve to win, who put forth effort to win, have any prospect of doing so.

<i>KEEP WORKING OUT OUR SALVATION = EFFORT</I>

Remember, it is by effort, by works, that we show our faith is alive and these works are the responsibilities, the efforts, of bringing your attitudes and lifestyle in line with your model, Jesus, the responsibility and efforts of preaching as Jesus did and the responsibility and efforts of taking in knowledge, studying the Bible.

These works in no way earn our salvation (Tit 3:5, 2:11 / 2Tim 1:9) but in every way they show our deep love and appreciation for it. Please never make the mistake that a one-time act of faith followed by a life of continual sinful attitudes, thoughts, feelings and practices, zero effort to retain your salvation, is all you must do to be saved. The inspired word of God teaches us that far more in required to be saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM

11,713 posts, read 3,577,360 times
SeekerSA

I agree with you. It depends on what you are saved from.

Jesus in the Olivet discourse was talking about the soon to come destruction of the temple in 70AD. Those who endured to that end and read the signs correctly were saved from the wrath of God against the Jews.

But also Jesus died and was resurrected so that we can be saved from sin and death. All sin, all die, all go to Hades. Jesus was manifested so that there was more to the story .........

Christ the firstfruits
Those that are his at his coming
Then the end where he puts down all enemies under is his feet (meaning obedient to him)

A lot of christians stop the order of resurrection at those that are Christs at his coming and don't accept that every knee will bow in subservience. Or maybe believe that they will bow in forced subservience and then will be thrown into a fiery lake aka Hell. But then how is God all in All if there is still a Hell?

It seems that things are taken out of context ..... because being saved is used in the context of the judgement of the Jews and also the same word is used for being saved from sin and death, meaning deliverance from Hades, it is assumed that those 2 situations can be merged into each other.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:03 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times
Read the parabable of the "Four soils" (The Parable of the Sower and the seed)
Matthew 13.
"he hears the word and at once receives it with joy. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away"

1 Corinthians 10:12
So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!

Galatians 5:4
You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Warning Against Falling Away

Hebrews 5:11-12
11We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!

2 Peter 1:10
Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, (implying that if you don't do these things you will fall)

2 Peter 3:17
Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position.

2 Thessalonians 2:3
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Hebrews 6:6
if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Last edited by twin.spin; 07-21-2008 at 08:30 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,360,164 times
Parable of the Sower

Behold, there went out a sower to sow: And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up. And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth: But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.

Jesus' explanation:
And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts. And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,576,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
I answer reader questions on my website, this is what I replied to a person who aked a similar question;

QUESTION: "Every religious tv show I see someone is saying "Believe on Jesus and be saved," what does that mean? Do they really mean believe IN Jesus? How can believing in Jesus save someone? Is believing all their is to salvation?"

ANSWER: Some people like to pronounce or use words uncommon to normal usage when speaking of matters of faith, perhaps it makes them feel more pious, but for whatever reason, saying believing <i>on</i> Jesus is akin to saying something like counting <i>on</i>. And yes, it means the same thing as believing in Jesus.

How does believing in Jesus save us? To understand we must go back to the beginning, to the Sin, It's Origin & It'd Destiny (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/1Astudy4sin1.html - broken link)origin of sin.

God created Adam as a perfect human, that meant he had no sin. Having no sin meant that he suffered none of sin's effects today, illness, aging, tendency toward wrongdoing, death. Had he remained obedient to God's small test of his faith (don't eat from that tree) he would have continued to live young and healthy everlastingly, he and all of his descendants. This was God's original purpose for all of mankind. (TheBlessing of the Messianic Kingdom (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/WhyWeNeedGodthekingdom.html - broken link)and still is)<P>

Adam, however, failed his test and disobeyed God, showing that he'd rather choose independently and for himself what was right and wrong. God this allowed mankind, Adam and all of his descendants, to govern themselves (to understand WHY Dod did this see this link (broken link)) taking upon them sin and it's effects, the ultimate effect of which, the punishment, DEATH, WHAT IS IT? (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/1Astudy2death1.html - broken link)death.

God did not give up on his original purpose when this happened. He prophesied (Gen 3:14-15) that He would send a seed into the world who would crush the instigator of sin (Satan - Gen 3:1-7) thus end sin.

This seed was God's only begotten Son Jesus. When God carried out his prophesy and sent His Son, and because Jesus was born upon earth by holy spirit and not by a human male's fertilization, he did not inherit human sin. Jesus was born sinless. If he could maintain his integrity to God and never fall to sin, his sinless blood sacrificed for us would buy back (pay the ransom price) that which Adam, by sinning, lost; perfection (sinlessness) and everlasting life. Christ did just this. (Heb 9:11-12, 24)

So what is a ransom and why was one needed in payment to restore God's original purpose, to reconcile man with God and to forgive and eventually remove our sin?

The Bible helps us understand matters by using a number of terms that describe or illustrate this, it speaks of the ransom in terms of a purchase, a reconciliation, a propitiation, a redemption, and an atonement. (Ps 49:8 / Dan 9:24 / Gal 3:13 / Col 1:20 / Heb 2:17 /Matt 20:28)

The Greek word ly'tron comes from a verb meaning “to loose.” It was used to describe money paid in exchange for the releasing of prisoners of war. In the Hebrew Scriptures, however, the word for ransom, ko'pher, comes from a verb meaning to “cover” or “overlay.” For example, God told Noah to cover (ka'phar) the ark with tar. (Gen 6:14) From this viewpoint, then, to ransom, or to atone for sins, means to cover sins. (Ps 65:3)

The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament notes that ko'pher “always denotes an equivalent,” or correspondency. Thus, the cover (kap'po'reth) of the ark of the covenant corresponded in shape to the ark itself. Likewise, in atoning for sin, or ransoming, divine justice demands ‘soul for soul, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.’ (Deut 19:21) At times, though, justice can be satisfied if an equivalent is offered in lieu of strict punishment. <i>A ransom must be the equivalent of that for which it substitutes, or covers or else it's worth far outweighs that for which it is given.</i> The animal sacrifices that men of faith from Abel onward offered up could not really cover men’s sins, since humans are superior to brute beasts. (Ps 8:4-8) Paul could thus write that “it is not possible for the blood of bulls and of goats to take sins away.” Such sacrifices could serve simply as a pictorial, or symbolic, covering in anticipation of the ransom that was to come. (Heb 10:1-4)

This foreshadowed ransom had to be the exact equivalent of Adam, since the death penalty that God justly applied to Adam resulted in the condemnation of the human race. “In Adam all are dying,” (1Cor 15:22) So it was not necessary for thousands of millions of individual humans to die sacrificial deaths to correspond to each individual of Adam’s progeny. “Through <i>one</i> man [Adam] sin entered into the world and death through sin.” (Romans 5:12) And “since death is through "A" man,” redemption of mankind could also come “through "A" man.” (1 Cor 15:21)

The man who could be the ransom had to be a perfect human of flesh and blood, the exact equal of Adam. (Rom 5:14) "God on earth" as Christendom teaches Jesus was, would not balance the scales of justice, in fact it would throw them completely out of balance, for remember, <i>a ransom must be the equivalent of that for which it substitutes, or covers or else it's worth far outweighs that for which it is given.</i> Only a perfect human, someone not under the Adamic death sentence, could offer “a corresponding ransom,” one corresponding perfectly to Adam. (1 Tim 2:6) By voluntarily sacrificing his life, this “last Adam” could pay the wage for the sin of the “first man Adam.” (1Cor 15:45, 47 / Rom 6:23)

This ransom, for all who accept it's worth, provides us with a forgiveness of all sins prior to our acceptance and further sins as long as we do not do the deliberately and a long as they are accompanied by regret, repentance and a sincere striving to do them no more. This allows us a clean conscience before God. But the ransom has a much larger meaning and it will see it's complete fulfillment after this world, this system of things is destroyed and God's promised new world is brought in under the kingdom rule. We will have the complete removal of our sins and be restored to perfection which will mean we shall live life everlasting without aging, illness or a tendency to do bad. <i>This</i> is how believing in Jesus saves. (Acts 16:30-31, 4:12 / Jh 3:36 / 1Pet 1:8-9)

Is believing all there is to salvation?

Perhaps you have noticed how many people who claim to have been saved do not live lives that make their Christian decision evident. Often their behaviour is no different than before they accepted Christ. Many do not even know a thing about Christ, God or the issues of the Bible. There is reason for this. Christendom is not even sure what this basic doctrine (ransom/salvation) means. For instance The New Catholic Encyclopedia says about this "The theology of the Redemption is in some part unachieved and continues to pose itself as a problem in theology." Also, Christendom does not understand what it means to be NO PART OF THE WORLD? (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/1AQAnopartworld.html - broken link)no part of the world (Jh 15:19) this they see no wrong in
CHRISTENDOM'S "ROTTEN FRUITS" (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/Christendomsways.html - broken link)<a worldly CHRISTENDOM IN RECENT NEWS (http://www.wtv-zone.com/bibleguidance/christendomnews.html - broken link)conduct and further teach that once a person is saved they are henceforth forgiven no matter what sort of person they are, no matter what one does with their life. Their message then is really that there is no reason to change for Christ's ransom covers all for all time. Not only is this wrong but it is dangerous. (Jude 4) It is like saying it's ok to be an alcoholic as long as you always have a designated driver.

Is that reasonable? Is salvation a one-time act of faith that hardly effects our lives or is it a continual <i>way</i> of life? (Acts 19:23) Could we rightly expect the benefits and blessings of Christ's ransom sacrifice without the responsibility of following and obeying him? (Heb 5:9) What is the truth of the matter?

Making the decision to accept Christ should not be merely an act of emotional provocation. It is a decision one should consider seriously for it comes with responsibility.

One responsibility of accepting Christ is following Christ. You must follow his example for he is the model after which you are to pattern your behaviour and your life. ((1Jh 2:6 / Jh 13:15 / Heb 12:2 / Jh 13:13 / 1Pet 2:21) This includes removing from your life absolutely every sinful and undesirable practice, and from your personality, every objectionable trait. Accepting Christ is life changing. Why? One word, appreciation. The gift of Jesus Christ's ransom sacrifice is one of such insurmountable worth and one that brings with it so many wonderful blessings that merely understanding this should compel you to "go on walking just as that one walked."

Rom 12:2; "And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

1Pet 1:14-16; "As obedient children, quit being fashioned according to the desires you formerly had in your ignorance, but, in accord with the Holy One who called you, do you also become holy yourselves in all [your] conduct, because it is written: “You must be holy, because I am holy.”

Col 3:5-10; "Deaden, therefore, your body members that are upon the earth as respects fornication, uncleanness, sexual appetite, hurtful desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of those things the wrath of God is coming. In those very things you, too, once walked when YOU used to live in them. But now really put them all away from you, wrath, anger, badness, abusive speech, and obscene talk out of your mouth. Do not be lying to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, and clothe yourselves with the new [personality], which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,"

1Cor 6:9-11; "What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom. And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean, but you have been sanctified, but you have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God."

Eph 4:17-24; "This, therefore, I say and bear witness to in [the] Lord, that you no longer go on walking just as the nations also walk in the unprofitableness of their minds, while they are in darkness mentally, and alienated from the life that belongs to God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the insensibility of their hearts. Having come to be past all moral sense, they gave themselves over to loose conduct to work uncleanness of every sort with greediness. But you did not learn the Christ to be so, provided, indeed, that you heard him and were taught by means of him, just as truth is in Jesus, that you should put away the old personality which conforms to your former course of conduct and which is being corrupted according to his deceptive desires; but that you should be made new in the force actuating your mind, and should put on the new personality which was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty." (Really you should continue to read on through chapters 4, 5 & 6)

Do these texts say that we can go on living just as we are, unchanged? No, they do not.

Jesus himself invited those who believed in him; "Come, be my followers." He also said in a rather forthright manner; "Whoever does not accept his torture stake (cross) [which means to say "no" to self & our former desires] and follow after me <i>is not worthy of me</i>." Further, "Those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus... will undergo judicial punishment." Following Jesus, as you can see, is <i>not</i> optional. (Matt 10:38, 16:24 / Lu 18:18-23 / 2Thess 1:8-9)

Other that removing the wrongs from our behaviour and practice in emulation of Jesus, another way to follow him is by preaching, or telling others about, the good news of the kingdom and all the other truths you have learned. This was not only the primary work of Jesus' life, but spreading the truth is a necessary part of ever Christian's life too, indeed it is a command that Christ laid upon his followers. (Matt 28:18-20 / Jh 18:37)

To do this and also to accomplish the changing of your life and ways, you must have knowledge, and taking in knowledge is another responsibility of accepting Christ. Jesus said himself in prayer to his Father, "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ." (Jh 17:3) This is just one of many Scriptures that directly link salvation to everlasting life with taking in knowledge. (1Tim 2:3-4 / 1Pet 2:2 / Matt 4:4 / Hos 4:6 / Prov 2:10-12, 2:20-21, 1:28-29)

Accepting these responsibilities and accomplishing them are the "works" that keep our faith from being "dead." (Jas 2:17 / Heb 11:1 / Rom 10:17) So you see, contrary to what you may have been lied to about Jehovah's Witnesses and their adherence to works, it is not in thought of earning salvation that we do these things, but it is in profound appreciation of salvation's free gift that we are compelled to do them. Those who accept Christ and then refuse to accept the responsibilities that come with it are really proving their faith dead, or false to it's power. (2Tim 3:5 / Jas 2:21-26 / Tit 3:8 / Heb 10:38, 11:6 / Jh 15:6) It takes effort to keep ones faith (1Cor 16:13 / 2Cor 13:5 / 1Pet 5:9 / 1Tim 6:12) Conversely, it takes effort to keep ones salvation.

Sadly, many in Christendom who accept Christ do not wish to put forth such effort, and indeed their religious leaders tell them they do not have to, but Jesus, answering a question about the number of persons being saved, said; "<i>Exert yourselves vigorously</i> to get in through the narrow door because many, I tell you, will seek to get in but will not be able." (Lu 13:23-24 / Matt 7:13-14)

<I>EXERT YOURSELVES VIGOROUSLY.</I> = <I>EFFORT.</I>

Jesus never even alluded to the lazy ideas promoted today about salvation. He didn't say that those who merely "begin" the Christian way of life (2Pet 2:2) will be saved but that those who exert themselves vigorously and those who "endure to the end" will be saved. Those who take up Christ's truths and stand apart from the world will be hated and persecuted (2Tim 3:12 / Matt 10:22 / Jh 15:20) and so endurance, great strength of faith, is vital. No simple one-time act statement of faith could do this. (Matt 10:22) This too takes knowledge. (Rom 2:6-7, 15:4, 12:12, 5:3-5, 8:25 / Jas 1:12 / Eccl 7:12 / Lu 21:19, 1:5-8 / 2Pet 3:17 / Eph 6:16 / Heb 10:36, 12:1-2 / Col 1:10-11)

Once again, <i>ENDURANCE = EFFORT</I>

The apostle Paul, even though he was directly chosen by a risen Christ to carry the truth to all the nations, did not make the arrogant mistake of believing that his salvation was once and for all time assured. He had witnessed many who had slowed down, drifted away and given up in the "race for life." (1Tim 1:19-20 / Heb 2:1, 12:1) That is why he repeatedly reminded fellow Christians that they are in a strenuous and continuous contest. (1Cor 9:24/ Eph 6:12 / 1Tim 6:12) Paul said that he pummeled his body and led it as a slave that after he had preached to others he himself would not become somehow disapproved. (1Cor 9:27 / Acts 9:5-6, 15) "We need to keep working out our salvation with fear and trembling." (Ph 3:12-14, 2:12) Even though all who enter the race want to finish it and win the prize of everlasting life through Christ's salvation, only those who resolve to win, who put forth effort to win, have any prospect of doing so.

<i>KEEP WORKING OUT OUR SALVATION = EFFORT</I>

Remember, it is by effort, by works, that we show our faith is alive and these works are the responsibilities, the efforts, of bringing your attitudes and lifestyle in line with your model, Jesus, the responsibility and efforts of preaching as Jesus did and the responsibility and efforts of taking in knowledge, studying the Bible.

These works in no way earn our salvation (Tit 3:5, 2:11 / 2Tim 1:9) but in every way they show our deep love and appreciation for it. Please never make the mistake that a one-time act of faith followed by a life of continual sinful attitudes, thoughts, feelings and practices, zero effort to retain your salvation, is all you must do to be saved. The inspired word of God teaches us that far more in required to be saved.
Wow, excellent, excellent post, Tennesseedreaming!! I posted a very sad, short and summed up version of this eloquently worded post.

But this is what I meant to say.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,028,773 times
This topic bears a few questions:

1. What are you saved from?

2. When are you saved?

3. By what means are you saved?

4. When were those means enacted?

i. What are you saved from?

I think the simple answer that we can all agree on is death. Death is the fruition of sin. This means the death of the body, soul, and spirit.

ii. When are you saved?

Another simple answer is: when you die. You aren't saved from death when you're alive, healthy, and kicking. That doesn't mean that you aren't on the path to salvation, but it means that you aren't yet saved from anything yet. You have yet to taste death. You may have confidence that you will be saved, but that doesn't mean that you have already been saved.

iii. By what means are you saved?

Since we're on the Christianity forum, we should all agree that we are saved by the vicarious atonement of Jesus Christ for our sins.

iv. When were those means enacted?

The means by which you will be saved happened nearly 2000 years ago, when Jesus Christ was crucified and raised from the dead.

What does this all mean? Once saved, always saved is correct, except that we aren't truly saved from anything until we die. It actually winds up coming down to whether a person is or is not in a state of grace when they die. People will ask "how do I know that I'm saved?" The answer is simple--the Bible is clear that you are saved by grace through faith. God doesn't mince words. "I am the resurrection and the life. He that believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live". "God sent not his son to the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him might be saved." "By grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God, not of works, so no man should boast.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,593,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Do you believe this and why?
Yes. You cannot be un-reborn.

blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-22-2008, 02:01 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,192,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post

2. When are you saved?

I think the simple answer that we can all agree on is death. Death is the fruition of sin. This means the death of the body, soul, and spirit.

ii. When are you saved?

Another simple answer is: when you die. You aren't saved from death when you're alive, healthy, and kicking. That doesn't mean that you aren't on the path to salvation, but it means that you aren't yet saved from anything yet. You have yet to taste death. You may have confidence that you will be saved, but that doesn't mean that you have already been saved.

Since we're on the Christianity forum, we should all agree that we are saved by the vicarious atonement of Jesus Christ for our sins.

The means by which you will be saved happened nearly 2000 years ago, when Jesus Christ was crucified and raised from the dead.

What does this all mean? Once saved, always saved is correct, except that we aren't truly saved from anything until we die. It actually winds up coming down to whether a person is or is not in a state of grace when they die. People will ask "how do I know that I'm saved?" The answer is simple--the Bible is clear that you are saved by grace through faith. God doesn't mince words. "I am the resurrection and the life. He that believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live". "God sent not his son to the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him might be saved." "By grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God, not of works, so no man should boast.
I agree wholehearetdly. Amazing the OP did not come up with this. This is what I was looking for. But I am guessing that most are saved from hell

Sad but not true. Hell is where we all end up - Sheol, Hades, the grave (or urn)

For it is appointed once for man to die and then the judgement.

I really do not see how the rapture ready folk dance around this fact.

Blessings

Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,420,810 times
I, the OP, was looking for people's thoughts on this issue.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:21 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
But I am guessing that most are saved from hell
Sad but not true. Hell is where we all end up - Sheol, Hades, the grave (or urn)
For it is appointed once for man to die and then the judgment.
I really do not see how the rapture ready folk dance around this fact.

Blessings
Being that the word rapture is not correctly taught or understood, it is to no surprise that some have the wrong understanding of hell. Sad but true, all will see death (unless The Great Day of the Lord occurs) and will be put in the grave. Then this will occurs "For it is appointed once for man to die and then the judgment" where the soul is judged and your fate is determined, heaven or hell. When The Great Day of the Lord occurs, heaven and earth passes away, body and soul are reunited, the unbelievers soul and body (reunited) will be thrown into the fiery lake where their torment will be forever. The righteous will live (soul and body) in the new heaven and new earth. The body will be changed into a glorious body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post

2. When are you saved?

How the Bible answers these questions

Eternal death - Both at the moment of your physical death and\or at The Great Day of the Lord if you should so happen to be living at the time.

ii. When are you saved?
At time of conversion....

Luke 19:9 Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house,

2 Corinthians 6:2 For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation."

Its called the "means of Grace",
Titus 2:11
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.

Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Objective and subjectively
Objective ... when Jesus Christ was crucified and raised from the dead.
................. when Jesus Christ was baptized.. "It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ," 1 Peter 3:21

subjective ... At conversion through baptism and by faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
What does this all mean? Once saved, always saved is correct ---not.
The truth of Gods Word says on the one hand our salvation is sure, God will not lose any.
On the other..The truth of Gods Word warns about falling away. And those who fall will be punished more severely than if they never have believed.

2 Peter 2:21
It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity