Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:47 PM

164 posts, read 490,404 times

Advertisements

We never know what is going to happen from day to day...You wake up one morning, things seem normal, then BANG!...Your world is turned upside down. I've experienced that and so have many of you who read this.

A good man in the Bible, Job, received wave after wave of bad news, was falsely accused by his "friends", and was told by his wife to "Curse God and die" (Job 2 verse 9). Job replied, "What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil"...Earlier, Job had said, "the LORD gave, and the LORD have taken away".

As mortal humans, we can not begin to fathom God's ways...we can only trust Him to "work all things together for our good".

I was at the nursing home this morning, looking out at an audience filled with wheelchair bound older folks, some missing limbs, some barely were able to be there. As we sang "Peace in the Valley", I saw old Willie laying in his chair, tears trickling down his cheeks as he softly sang.."there will be no more heartaches, no troubles, no trials, there will be peace in the valley for me".

As we begin to pray for everyone, their family problems, their illnesses, and heartaches, I heard the sweet sound of crying, and saw tears streaming down weathered cheeks. God heard those prayers, sincere humble prayers from the heart. He can change things at an instant!
Don't give up.

Irvin aka walkin2e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Thank you so much for this message of love Irvin..Thank you for caring and loving the people in our nursing homes..Many of them are dropped off and forgotten..I learned many, many lessons and gained much wisdom from taking time to listen to our elders in the past..
I am now rapidly becoming one of the elders, and could very possibly be one of the people you ministered to this morning...If ever I am, I pray that God will send people like you to reaffirm to me that there is still love outside of this last earthly home I have been sent to..

Old 01-04-2009, 06:26 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,228 times
My goodness...that is so sweet. I've always had so much compassion for the elderly, even when I was young, and then on up into my teens. I'm not young anymore myself, but I don't consider 51 being old either...(I've still got a lot of fire in me yet!!)......but your story reminds me of the time when I went to visit someone I knew who had a real bad stroke...I walked in the door and made my way to the "Family Room", where they were all lined up in front of one television...Jeopardy or Wheel Of Fortune was on...my eyes scanned lovingly across the faces of each of them...some just starring into nothingness...one crying out for someone to unhook him from the chair he was in, (which was only a strap to keep him from sliding out of it)..a couple of younger ones who hadn't quite reached that level of need that the others had, who would smile...or not...before I made my way to my friend, I went over to the one crying out and placed my hand on his shoulder and smiled, he stopped crying and looked up at me with the prettiest set of blue eyes, a tear running down his cheek, I wiped his tear away with the back of my hand and smiled at him and told him it was o.k., and I showed him the strap and said "It's to protest you from hurting yourself...you are o.k." He never said a word, but he stopped crying and gave me the widest toothless smile, and I grinnd back at him real big and gave him a hug...as I walked away to go to the lady smiling at me, I peeked back at him and he was watching me now...listening to me talking to her...I gave her a hug and asked her how she was, and she murmurred something..I couldn't make out what she said, but she kept her hand out to touch me and I grabbed her hand and stayed there with her, and them for the next half hour or so...I understood that all they longed for was for someone to acknowledge them and let them know they are loved. I know the staff took very good care of them, because they (the staff) were very attentive to their needs...I went away that day enlightened to the frailness of the human condition, and the very basic need to be loved......they may have limitations, and their time may be short..but the need for love is limitless and timeless...thank you for reminding me of this very precious moment. God bless...Love.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 PM

Your responses reflected great kindness and compassion...That is what I spoke on today (Isaiah 54). Verse 8...but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee...

What the world needs is more kindness.

walkin2e

Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post

I went away that day enlightened to the frailness of the human condition, and the very basic need to be loved. ...they may have limitations, and their time may be short..but the need for love is limitless and timeless...thank you for reminding me of this very precious moment.

A very precious moment that, (based upon your words, above) clearly applies in one, way, shape or form to all individuals. The elderly, included, but not all inclusively.

Take gentle care.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:31 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,751,702 times
Default You wake up one morning, things seem normal, then BANG!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkin2e View Post
We never know what is going to happen from
Quote:
day to day...You wake up one morning, things seem normal, then BANG!...Your world is turned upside down. I've experienced that and so have many of you who read this.

A good man in the Bible, Job, received wave after wave of bad news, was falsely accused by his "friends", and was told by his wife to "Curse God and die" (Job 2 verse 9). Job replied, "What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil"...Earlier, Job had said, "the LORD gave, and the LORD have taken away".

As mortal humans, we can not begin to fathom God's ways...we can only trust Him to "work all things together for our good".

I was at the nursing home this morning, looking out at an audience filled with wheelchair bound older folks, some missing limbs, some barely were able to be there. As we sang "Peace in the Valley", I saw old Willie laying in his chair, tears trickling down his cheeks as he softly sang.."there will be no more heartaches, no troubles, no trials, there will be peace in the valley for me".

As we begin to pray for everyone, their family problems, their illnesses, and heartaches, I heard the sweet sound of crying, and saw tears streaming down weathered cheeks. God heard those prayers, sincere humble prayers from the heart. He can change things at an instant!
Don't give up.

Irvin aka walkin2e

Old 01-04-2009, 08:40 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,568 times
For those who might be interested, can you tell us how we can volunteer at a nursing home, especially on Sunday afternoons?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:50 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Just tell the people at the front desk or Nurse Station that you would like to volunteer..They will be very very glad to help you out
I live in a really small town so it is easy to just go to the nursing home and visit and talk to the residents in the day room..
If you have a grandchild or two, they love to see the children..When my Dad was in a nursing, home my sister and myself always took the kids along, because the residents enjoyed them so much and began to look forward to our visits,,Those kids are all grown now and some of them are volunteers and take their children along..
I have helped out with a few of the organized activities in the past, but they really enjoy someone just dropping by to spend some time with them..

Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 AM

Most Nursing Homes have an Activities Director. Contact this person, and volunteer...Some of the folks in the nursing home have regular visitors, but others are placed there, and forgotten. Some have many stories to tell (I remember a 104 year old retired schoolteacher, she had as a Professor in college, the "Peanut" expert (George Washington Carver)...She said about him, "He was such a nice man".

I once volunteered at four nursing homes, and they were always eager to see me. My mom resided in one for three years, and I not only visited with her, but also visited with some of the other residents.

I recall what "Pa Ellis" told me one time. I was sitting under that big ole oak tree at Baptist Village, Waycross, Georgia (where my Mom was), and he came by and invited me to eat dinner with him. He took a big chew of "Red Man" chewing tobacco, and said "dinner will be goos". I asked him how long had he been chewing Red Man. He replied. "Well, sir, I believe I were 8 year old when I took my first chew"..He was 96 when he told me that. He lived to be almost 98. He was a nice man.

For 20 years, I have volunteered. I have seen many come and go..I won't forget them.

walkin2e

Old 01-05-2009, 08:08 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,511 times
Thank God for you walkin2e. You are doing an amazing thing.
I have a daughter who is 12. Since she was younger, has said that she wants to help "older" people. I have not checked into it, since we just moved. But do they have anything like "helpers" for her age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity