Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe Jesus is THE way or A way?
I fully believe salvation is found in no other name but Jesus 84 84.00%
I believe Jesus is one way of many. 7 7.00%
I believe Jesus is probably the 'best' way, but certainly not the 'only way. 5 5.00%
I have no idea, but I still consider myself a Christian 4 4.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I find it extremely sad that in the "Christianity" forum this poll even gets discussed. Yes. He's the only way.
That's just a label over the door here. There's a LOT (maybe even most!) of non-Christian ideas held forth as truth here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I find it extremely sad that in the "Christianity" forum this poll even gets discussed. Yes. He's the only way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
That's just a label over the door here. There's a LOT (maybe even most!) of non-Christian ideas held forth as truth here.
That is YOUR view of what Christian ideas ARE, Alpha. Unfortunately, far too many Christians possess a similar hubris about THEIR views of Christian ideas. What is Christian is determined by Christ and Christ alone . . . NOT any particular participants in this forum.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is NOT a choice, jimmie. There is no conceivable way to CHOOSE to believe anything. You believe what you believe and there is no choosing about it. What IS in your control is following Christ's commands to "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't. That is how HE SAID His disciples could be known. You rely on your way . . . I will rely on what Christ said about His disciples and followers.
John 3:16

Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Ain't that the truth!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
I believe some who are not Christian per-se will be saved,
even if they don't "technically" believe in Jesus consciously,
but that would only be because He cut them some slack.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9] not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Salvation is a gift which is appropriated through faith alone in Christ alone. The offer of salvation is made possible by the redemptive work of Christ on the cross which propitiated the demands of the Father's holiness.

The greatest decision that anyone will ever make is the decision to respond to the gospel by coming to Christ for eternal life. God invites those who are thirsty to come and take the water of life without cost which is synonymous with believing on Christ.

Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

Isaiah 55:1 "Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat. Come, buy wine and milk Without money and without cost.

The choice is to respond to the conviction of the Holy Spirit...

John 16:8 "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 9] concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10] and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 11] and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me;

or to resist the conviction of the Holy Spirit...

Acts 7:51 "You men who are stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears are always resisting the Holy Spirit; you are doing just as your fathers did.

What must you do to be saved?

Acts 16:30 and after he brought them out, he said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31] They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household " (Each member of the jailer's houshold heard the gospel and believed, and was saved; Acts 16:32-33)

This is the teaching of the Holy Scriptures, the Word of God.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
It is NOT a choice, jimmie. There is no conceivable way to CHOOSE to believe anything. You believe what you believe and there is no choosing about it. What IS in your control is following Christ's commands to "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't. That is how HE SAID His disciples could be known. You rely on your way . . . I will rely on what Christ said about His disciples and followers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
John 3:16 speaks to belief, not being responsible for sanctification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
John 3:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
The phrase that has been translated as "believe in" is pisteuo eis . . . it is used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul. This is what Paul referred to as the "law written in the hearts" even of unbelievers . . . who are a law unto themselves. As Paul states it in Romans 2:14

. . . When the Gentiles who have no law do by nature what the law prescribes, these having no law are a law unto themselves. They show the work of the law written in their hearts. Their conscience bears witness to them, even when conflicting thoughts accuse or defend them.

No one says God doesn't hold us accountable for our un-love . . . but having what you consider the wrong belief is not subject to accountability. God has no ego needs that must be assuaged by our fawning over Him or His Son. "Belief on/into" His Son is an inner conviction to Christ-like attitudes toward all human beings that results when we listen to Jesus' Holy Spirit within guiding us to what God has "written in our hearts." It is when we DO what Christ commands and "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. THAT is the "believe on" Jesus that matters . . . not what you proclaim to believe in. Belief is an inner conviction that guides what we do . . . it is NOT a CHOICE. It is what it is.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
The phrase that has been translated as "believe in" is pisteuo eis . . . it is used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul. This is what Paul referred to as the "law written in the hearts" even of unbelievers . . . who are a law unto themselves. As Paul states it in Romans 2:14

. . . When the Gentiles who have no law do by nature what the law prescribes, these having no law are a law unto themselves. They show the work of the law written in their hearts. Their conscience bears witness to them, even when conflicting thoughts accuse or defend them.

No one says God doesn't hold us accountable for our un-love . . . but having what you consider the wrong belief is not subject to accountability. God has no ego needs that must be assuaged by our fawning over Him or His Son. "Belief on/into" His Son is an inner conviction to Christ-like attitudes toward all human beings that results when we listen to Jesus' Holy Spirit within guiding us to what God has "written in our hearts." It is when we DO what Christ commands and "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. THAT is the "believe on" Jesus that matters . . . not what you proclaim to believe in. Belief is an inner conviction that guides what we do . . . it is NOT a CHOICE. It is what it is.
You're talking about sanctification. John 3:16 is about salvation.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
I know. And most people aren't Biblically literate enough to understand that.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You're talking about sanctification. John 3:16 is about salvation.
AND WE have nothing to do with our salvation! Christ alone did that for us. The idea that we have to do something to be saved is a "precept and doctrine of men" that misrepresents what Christ already DID. We only have to be sanctified under Christ's love for us all by following His commands to be His disciple. THAT we can CHOOSE to DO . . . we cannot choose to believe anything. Beliefs either make sense to us or they don't. True belief just EXISTS . . . it cannot be CHOSEN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity