Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times

Advertisements

Well, my name is Virginia and that is taken from the Blessed Virgin. I would NEVER put a Bessed before my name. I am certainly not worthy and that would put me in a class with heretics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 06:29 PM

519 posts, read 1,697,338 times
Well, my name means beautiful, shining valley in the Seneca Indian language (at least that is what my parents researched) ... I think it is pretty cool. I love my name.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:13 PM

142 posts, read 501,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
Prophetess
Prophet
Bishop
Evangelist
Reverend
Elder
Deacon
Minister
Dr

I go to a predominantly white Christian station and I barely see any such thing.

My people are just "extra" as they say in Jamaica.
I want to see some brave Black preacher take on the title of "Archbishop" to try to one-up all the other Black "Bishops" out there.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:23 AM

553 posts, read 568,485 times
Well here's a white Apostle. Don't forget to order your green handkerchief and to watch this "man of God" on the Word Network at 2 a.m weeknights.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
I want to see some brave Black preacher take on the title of "Archbishop" to try to one-up all the other Black "Bishops" out there.
Vicar is cool sounding. Or Abbot. How about Archvicar!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:00 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Well, Billy Graham is called an evangelist, but I believe he's earned that title, and rightfully so.

Byron, I was named after a witch, but I try not to live up to it!!! Although, hubby may beg to differ sometimes.......

Old 08-07-2008, 04:29 AM

6 posts, read 37,021 times
<Ordering my handkerchief> lol

Old 08-19-2008, 12:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
What a mindless trivial concern you have;

when people are dying and going to hell and souls are dwelling in the darkest pits;
Who should even care to pay this much attention to ethnic backgrounds or titles, when they should be more concerned with the message and not the messenger alone
Surely there better things to focus on than black worship and "all other" worship.
BTW Hispanics by culture are some of the most festive in worshipping also. as well as other cultures and backgrounds.
Let's focus on the Cross that we are supposed to be carrying ; and the Kingdom
let's purify our concious from idle thoughts and talk that profit nothing, but only stir up strife; and may offend
Let's also remember the word of God when they were the first to assign titles;
prophets,teachers...etc. The passage of scripture is found in the N.T. (don't know it right now) but it is there
Let's stay focused, and try not to touch God's annointed with our mouths; this alone is a great task.
This may irritate some people but not enough to slander the causes. unless of course
you're not one of us, "a true believer that is".
and if all else fails, remember to pray for those in the faith, that you may feel are going in the way of error.
we're (believers in Christ) are on the same team right?
You sound as though you have some predjudices, and a rebuke is in order;
God Bless You
My $.02 cents

BTW I found this passage of scripture, just in case
Ephesians 4:11 (The Message)
Bible Gateway

7-13But that doesn't mean you should all look and speak and act the same. Out of the generosity of Christ, each of us is given his own gift. The text for this is,

He climbed the high mountain,
He captured the enemy and seized the booty,
He handed it all out in gifts to the people.
Is it not true that the One who climbed up also climbed down, down to the valley of earth? And the One who climbed down is the One who climbed back up, up to highest heaven. He handed out gifts above and below, filled heaven with his gifts, filled earth with his gifts. He handed out gifts of apostle, prophet, evangelist, and pastor-teacher to train Christ's followers in skilled servant work, working within Christ's body, the church, until we're all moving rhythmically and easily with each other, efficient and graceful in response to God's Son, fully mature adults, fully developed within and without, fully alive like Christ.

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 08-19-2008 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: insert scripture passage

Old 08-19-2008, 01:49 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,017 times
I always wondered that, also dont forget the "first lady" Ive been known to watch the "word".

Old 08-20-2008, 06:31 AM

553 posts, read 568,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
what a mindless trivial concern you have;

when people are dying and going to hell and souls are dwelling in the darkest pits;
who should even care to pay this much attention to ethnic backgrounds or titles, when they should be more concerned with the message and not the messenger alone
surely there better things to focus on than black worship and "all other" worship.
Btw hispanics by culture are some of the most festive in worshipping also. As well as other cultures and backgrounds.
Let's focus on the cross that we are supposed to be carrying ; and the kingdom
let's purify our concious from idle thoughts and talk that profit nothing, but only stir up strife; and may offend
let's also remember the word of god when they were the first to assign titles;
prophets,teachers...etc. The passage of scripture is found in the n.t. (don't know it right now) but it is there
let's stay focused, and try not to touch god's annointed with our mouths; this alone is a great task.
This may irritate some people but not enough to slander the causes. Unless of course
you're not one of us, "a true believer that is".
And if all else fails, remember to pray for those in the faith, that you may feel are going in the way of error.
We're (believers in christ) are on the same team right?
You sound as though you have some predjudices, and a rebuke is in order;
god bless you
my $.02 cents

btw i found this passage of scripture, just in case
ephesians 4:11 (the message)
bible gateway

7-13but that doesn't mean you should all look and speak and act the same. Out of the generosity of christ, each of us is given his own gift. The text for this is,

he climbed the high mountain,
he captured the enemy and seized the booty,
he handed it all out in gifts to the people.
Is it not true that the one who climbed up also climbed down, down to the valley of earth? And the one who climbed down is the one who climbed back up, up to highest heaven. He handed out gifts above and below, filled heaven with his gifts, filled earth with his gifts. He handed out gifts of apostle, prophet, evangelist, and pastor-teacher to train christ's followers in skilled servant work, working within christ's body, the church, until we're all moving rhythmically and easily with each other, efficient and graceful in response to god's son, fully mature adults, fully developed within and without, fully alive like christ.

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity