Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:01 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times

Advertisements

This is something I've wanted to ask for the last 2 years..

Is it possible to remove someone as Godmother and how does one go about it?
My son who is 23 has a Godmother that we no longer speak to, it's a relative. I highly doubt we will ever have a relationship, and in the last 2 years it's gotten really bad, new wounds a few months ago.

Since he is an adult does it really matter, having/needing a Godmother any more? Probably not so why bother with removal? Because we are trying to move on with our life and I feel cutting ties fully would be best for myself & both of my kids.

Next question.. daughters Godmother (my ex sister in law) passed away 2 years ago. Do I need to replace her? If so, how does one go about that? My daughter is 15 and if something happened to me, she wouldn't want to go with her father. He's not really in her life (no call/no card for her birthday yesterday)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

My son who is 23 has a Godmother that we no longer speak to, it's a relative. I highly doubt we will ever have a relationship, and in the last 2 years it's gotten really bad, new wounds a few months ago.

Since he is an adult does it really matter, having/needing a Godmother any more? Probably not so why bother with removal? Because we are trying to move on with our life and I feel cutting ties fully would be best for myself & both of my kids.

Next question.. daughters Godmother (my ex sister in law) passed away 2 years ago. Do I need to replace her? If so, how does one go about that? My daughter is 15 and if something happened to me, she wouldn't want to go with her father. He's not really in her life (no call/no card for her birthday yesterday)
Just because a person stands as a Godparent, unless they are in your will as a legal gaurdian to-be, it does not mean your child will automatically be sent to live with them upon your death... you should talk to a lawyer and write up a will perhaps... and find out what legal ties you ex has to your child- there may be more to it than she doesn't want to live with him- he might have all legal rights to custody at that point... and I have never heard of anyone replacing a godparent...can't help you with how to go about it.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 AM

672 posts, read 330,549 times
I would suggest that you speak with your clergy-person at your church and ask them what the protocol is. You sound like someone whose faith is important to them - maybe speaking to someone at your church would be best in this situation. Does your relative attend the same church? If so, maybe the clergy-person can facilitate a counseling session to get to the root of the hurt feelings between you, your son & the godparent... if not, it still may be something that would help to heal your hurt.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times
What does a godmother do?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,376 times
This is what Wikipedia says about Godparents.

Godparent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a short excerpt:

However, godparent is not a legal position, and should the parents seriously intend the godparents to act as foster parents in case of their death, this must be legally specified through the usual means (such as a will).

Old 07-29-2008, 10:56 AM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,518 times
In most cases, it is just an honorary title.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,168 times
My wife, a former Catholic, still keeps in touch with her godmother after all these years. We're not Catholic, we're Baptist, and we picked godparents for our children.

But a previous poster was correct, the best person to ask is your clergyman.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,307,180 times
By this act, you would seek to disengage from the good times you had and the cherished person she had been, which is the origin of thought when you made the original decision. I think there's more to the removal than just retracting godparent-hood.
<Sniffing at computer display>
Sorry, it just smells vindictive.

Last edited by Kin Atoms; 08-03-2008 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times
And at 23 don't you think THEY should be deciding what THEY want? Is it YOU trying to make that decision for them or do they want this?

Personally I think it is a harsh form of amuntion and only going to hurt your children...

Last edited by skbs; 08-04-2008 at 07:57 AM..

Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Are you also going to return every gift this woman ever sent your child? Just wondering how far you will go when cutting ties fully? If she ever sent your daughter money for her birthday, are you going to return that too? See how silly this sounds? Talk to a priest, I'm sure he'll recommend forgiveness. This is hurting you more than anyone else. Do you really think you would feel better if you removed this woman as god mother to your child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity