Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:35 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times

Advertisements

What exactly is a double-minded man? I know that I can feel one way one day, and then feel something different the next. Sometimes I think I am just wishy-washy. Am I a double-minded man? I am not double-minded as far as the Lord goes though. Your thoughts, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 02:50 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
What exactly is a double-minded man? I know that I can feel one way one day, and then feel something different the next. Sometimes I think I am just wishy-washy. Am I a double-minded man? I am not double-minded as far as the Lord goes though. Your thoughts, please.

As you know, this word is only found in 2 places,and only in the Book of James.
My Young's Analytical says it means, two souled.
My Greek lexicon says, inconstant, fickle.
Of course both of them say 'double-minded' also.

I think those discriptions pretty well covers it.

I would say, it has nothing to do with your feelings, but everything to do what what you say. If you tell one person one thing, and some one else something differant about the same subject. It may be likened to 'mealy-mouthed'....telling others what you think they want to hear ?

Old 08-03-2008, 04:00 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
Oh, you mean like politicians.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:21 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Well in my understanding one has to read vv. 6-8 to get the context of the question you are asking. It is that of a person who will not trust God, he is as unstable as a wave. He is not asking in faith. There is doubt.
( look up Eph. 4:14).
He is doubleminded because he trusts God but yet does not trust completely. His heart is not simply given up to God.
James 4:8 goes along with this verse.
God is always ready to accept those who truly come Him. The doubleminded are those Christians divided in their heart's love between God and the world.
The person is bouncing back and forth like in Eph. 4:14 it says toss to and fro..
He is not trusting completely!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:24 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Well in my understanding one has to read vv. 6-8 to get the context of the question you are asking. It is that of a person who will not trust God, he is as unstable as a wave. He is not asking in faith. There is doubt.
He is doubleminded because he trusts God but yet does not trust completely. His heart is not simply given up to God.
God is always ready to accept those who truly come Him. The doubleminded are those Christians divided in their heart's love between God and the world.
The person is bouncing back and forth like in Eph. 4:14 it says toss to and fro..
He is not settled!!!
Then I am not a double-minded man then because I am not divided in my heart between God and the world. I just am not sure what is the best decisions to make at times when things come up in my life.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
An unstable person in all of his ways. An ambiguous person who wants to be a Godly person and have Heavenly aspirations,but still puts his trust on the things of the world ,that would be a double-minded person. It is a person who is not consistent with his daily walk with the Lord

Old 08-03-2008, 04:40 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
Then I am not a double-minded man then because I am not divided in my heart between God and the world. I just am not sure what is the best decisions to make at times when things come up in my life.
Yes, we all face times of decisions and pray about it and ask God for wisdom in the situation. And we might not be completely sure and we step out in faith trusting and God either shuts the door or opens it in all things.
Doubleminded is someone who ask God and yet their not trusting His love and wisdom in any given circumstance or situation. Whatever it maybe!!! Their heart is not complete in His love and trusting Him!!! Just like Noland said, their not consistent!!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:29 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:
Hi PG,
I think you've gotten some very good responses so far.

You're not double-minded or lacking in faith.....you are probably just indecisive and afraid of making the wrong decision. Your faith is what got you through some very recent tough times, and God made a decision for you. Feel good about it, and when the Devil tries to put negative thoughts in your head, rebuke him in the name of Jesus Christ!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Oh, you mean like politicians.
I almost said that !

Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
He is not trusting completely!!!

Yes, this is a good explanation. I should have spent more time reading the entire chapter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity