Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,615,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Well, first this is going to quickly disintegrate into a Universalist thread.
Or a different way to phrase it would be "Well, first this is going to quickly form up nicely into a Universalist thread"

blessings,
- Byron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Uh oh, here we go again! LOL! This can of worms is going to dry out, it's been opened so many times!
But you forget CL - these particular worms are immortal . They just keep eating you and you just keep... ummmm, being there to be eaten. It's all part of the "miracle of damnation".

to the OP "What is hell?"
The Origin and History of the Doctrine of Endless Punishment - Contents

Blessings,
- Byron

Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times
Hell

Ps 9:17
Ps 55:15
Prov 7:27
Prov 23:14
Prov 27:20
Is 14:9
Matt 5:22
Matt 18:9
Matt 23:33
Luke 12:5
Jas 3:6

It's a real, literal place. Somewhere you don't want to find yourself. Please take some time out to read these scriptures for yourself. It's not just a "state of mind" my friend. From a nurse's point of view, there are some medication that may help depression, bipolar and other psychological diseases.There is no cure for Hell. However, there is a way that you can be sure not to end up there. It's believing that Jesus Christ has already paid that penalty for you. Ask the Lord Jesus Christ for understanding on this subject; as some may find it confusing. He is able to give you the knowledge if you diligently seek to find it. Start with the above scriptures. Be encouraged on your journey.

Your sister in Christ Jesus

Old 08-07-2008, 11:32 PM

OK, I studied (again). "What is Hell"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Hell

Ps 9:17
"The wicked shall be turned back unto Sheol, Even all the nations that forget God".

My study made it pretty obvious this is talking of distruction since Sheol is synonymous with 'the grave' as it is freely translated as 'grave' throughout the OT

Quote:
Ps 55:15
"Let death come suddenly upon them, Let them go down alive into Sheol; For wickedness is in their dwelling, in the midst of them".
Yep, Sheol again - "for dust thou art and to dust thou shalt return".

Quote:
Prov 7:27
"Her house is the way to Sheol, Going down to the chambers of death".
Amen! Those loose women will kill ya'

Quote:
Prov 23:14
"Thou shalt beat him with the rod, And shalt deliver his soul from Sheol"
Hmmm, is this literal? Then we can everyone saved! Beat 'em (young)!

Quote:
Prov 27:20
"Hell (Sheol- AKA the grave) and Destruction are never full; So the eyes of man are never satisfied".

Quote:
Is 14:9
"Sheol from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming; it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations".

Hmmm... "it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations"? This one is obviously poetic/metaphoric, no?

Quote:
Matt 5:22
"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, `You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, `You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell."

Greek - Gahenna fire - the garbage dump outside Jerusalem.
If not metaphoric, and if it is referring to the traditional 'eternal hell' shouldn't it say "and whoever says,`I reject Jesus,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell."

Quote:
Matt 18:9
"If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell".

Gahenna again. Literal? It also says hands and feet. Then get out the hacksaw (and fork)!

Quote:
Matt 23:33
"You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell? (judgement of Gahenna for Pharisees)

Quote:
Luke 12:5
"But I will warnyou whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell (Gahenna); yes, I tell you, fear Him!

This tells of God's ability to annihilate (destroy)

Quote:
Jas 3:6
"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell (Gahenna)".

Oh, I wish this one were literal. All church gossip would cease overnight!!!

Quote:
It's a real, literal place.
Well, OK, if you say so...?

Blessings,
- Byron

Old 08-08-2008, 05:50 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
I think sometimes more people worry more about Hell or the afterlife than living a fruitful life in Christ now. Just look at all the topics regarding Revelations, and the end times.

Whatever Hell is, I want no part of it!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:34 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Hell is (IMO), eternal separation from God as in dead, gone,forgotten, rejected by God.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:14 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Or a different way to phrase it would be "Well, first this is going to quickly form up nicely into a Universalist thread"

blessings,
- Byron
There might be several ways to phrase it.

My point was we can talk about Hell and its existence or not, OR we can let this turn into a Universalist/Non-Universalist argument thread.

Bottom line the OP is asking about Hell.

Not Universal Salvation.

That was my only point in that comment.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:15 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I think sometimes more people worry more about Hell or the afterlife than living a fruitful life in Christ now. Just look at all the topics regarding Revelations, and the end times.

That was my thoughts as well.

What matters is that we've grasped the One to keep us from such a choice, regardless of the debate on how long our stay there might be.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 AM

352 posts, read 552,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post

I agree with you as well on the matter, but (IMO) many Christians today are putting their faith in false doctrine, not reading the Word, and refusing to give up the worldly things that keep them from knowing Christ. Naturally, this would mean that those people aren't receiving the fullness of Christ's blessings and are more or less still bounded by these sinful desires. And what do Christians believe that sin brings? Despair. And with despair they can't take hold of Jesus' promises in this reality, therefore they look to an afterlife of blessings not realizing their potential here. I know this got off topic some, but I feel this is why so many people are interested in hell, the apocalypse, and the afterlife. They want some hope for escaping this reality.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:14 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
What is hell? in the metaphysical sense it is.

The everburning fire of endless material desires
A dry and sad heart without love in it
Lack of peace of mind and spiritual confort
Suffering caused by wrong actions and lack of wisdom.

Hell can also be the lower astral planes that are described in Hindu scriptures, the astral plane is the resting place for souls who died recently, but haven't released themselves from desires that can only be fulfilled in the physical plane.

At the end of life, we face judgement, the all knowing universal intelligence will assign us to a lower or higher planet depending on our karma (the sum of our good and bad actions)

People with very bad karma go to lower regions in the astral plane, that have restricted access, meaning nobody can leave these areas, while people in the higher vibratory regions can travel with no restrictions.

These regions are in constant warfare with vitatronic weapons and mantras, and are full of demons and suffering, while the higher planes are full of angels, devas and all sorts of light beings.

Eventually, the strenght of those unfilfilled desires and karma will attract the soul to a new earthly existence, the conditions of this existence will be according to his karma, this will continue until all karma and desires are either fufilled or roasted in the fire of wisdom.

Love and Light
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity