Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:32 AM

352 posts, read 552,795 times

Advertisements

I recently had a discussion with a former professor of mine about the death of Christ and His resurrection. In the discussion she began to note several creeds from various denominations about Christ descending into hell, but she interpreted it differently from me in that she believes hell isn't a physical location but more of a state of mind. She believes that the whole concept of an underworld consumed in flames and eternal suffering to be too cruel for a loving God and that the whole idea was brought about during Reformation to keep doubters of the Catholic faith within the church. She believes hell is when we deliberately choose to seperate ourselves from God and the torments we suffer in our daily lives and within our own minds are what hell really is, there is no afterlife for the damned. I am writing this thread to hear your thoughts on what hell is and to see if anyone could provide scripture that can either validate this claim or dismiss it. I look forward to hearing from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 AM

23 posts, read 44,783 times
Hi, let me start off by telling you of my personal experiences and why I believe what I do. I believe hell is a state of being. I believe we can live hell right on this earth and on into the afterlife. When I was younger, I was going through alot of emotional pain and suffering. I was so angry at everyone around me, I was mean, I was hateful, I was rude and judgemental because that was how I was being treated by these people, but I was also in alot of pain and hurt and was suffering depression and PTSD. These same people who had hurt me, I had to forgive and it was all at once. There was so much going on, my mother and father had abandoned me, my sons father, my friends and I did not warrant that treatment, I didnt deserve it, I was a rather good person.Even though I didnt warrant this treatment, I was reacting to it, mirroring it back to these people, but it wasnt me, it was me being angry and wanting to hurt those people who hurt me. I was miserable. This was when I first started to see demons, first in dreams, then in lucid dream states and eventually while being awake. These demons were my demons though, it wasnt until I started to cope, understand and forgive that they started to go away. So I interpret demons as spiritual manifestations of our well being, or in my case, not so well being. I think the resurrection of Jesus is about overcoming our demons or odds, and living again, whether that is emotionally, or physically.

I have learned about demons and infact, at one point last year, I got really angry and was upset for quite sometime and then one reappeared again. I knew instantly what it was and how to get rid of it, I had to find peace again and let go. I was not afraid this time, because it was my demon.

This brings up another thing, have you ever seen the movie "The exorcists of Emily Rose?" I watched it with some friends and everyone was dumbfounded and scared. I was very curious to exactly what her demons were that were haunting her, I thought she had taken them to her grave. At one point, I thought of incest within the family, even though the girl was innocent, somebody had hurt her and she was holding onto some very bad feelings. Later on, I found a spiritual forum and low and behold, many of the posters there already knew the samething, from experience. Demons dont necessarily visit those who are evil, they visit those souls who are tormented. Tormented souls can be innocent, it is their path to learn to forgive and understand, to not repeat the cycles of abuse.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Well, first this is going to quickly disintegrate into a Universalist thread. So please, all posters, respond to the OP and try and keep it on topic.

Having said that, I can not agree with your professor although I can tell you it's an argument we have heard here before.

I'm assuming the scripture in question is where it says Christ descended and preached to the spirits in prison
For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. I Peter 3:18-20
I don't think that scripture can even remotely be interpreted as Christ went somewhere in a 'state of mind' without doing some serious twisting and turning there.

Jesus preached on Hell, it was a very serious topic to Him. I believe everything He said about it. I do believe Hell is a separation from God but I also believe it's separation from God in a very literal sense and a very literal place.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 AM

658 posts, read 830,426 times
You can believe what you like, but the Book doesn't change. Christ talked more about hell than of heaven. Read the Book, don't wait for the movie.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
You can believe what you like, but the Book doesn't change. Christ talked more about hell than of heaven. Read the Book, don't wait for the movie.

The movie is already out. Passion of the Christ

Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

Jesus preached on Hell, it was a very serious topic to Him. I believe everything He said about it. I do believe Hell is a separation from God but I also believe it's separation from God in a very literal sense and a very literal place.
Yes it was so serious that He died on the cross so we could escape eternal hell, eternal separation from Him, if we choose to.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 AM

Our soul is our spiritual, emotional self, a body does not ascend to the other side of the afterlife, it rots, it is the soul...a soul cannot burn, as gas and fire are physical elements. It is metaphoric for the pain we feel emotionally, example, such as feeling blue, is metaphoric for being sad, or being angry, he had fire coming out of his ears. Going to hell very much is metaphoric, it is a state, not a physical state, but a spiritual or emotional state.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Alpha, I agree completely with this:

"Jesus preached on Hell, it was a very serious topic to Him. I believe everything He said about it. I do believe Hell is a separation from God but I also believe it's separation from God in a very literal sense and a very literal place."

You are so right.

Marian

Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Uh oh, here we go again! LOL! This can of worms is going to dry out, it's been opened so many times!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 AM

I believe to read a word and to actually experience it, gives it a much more "awareness" of meaning. I also believe it is the difference in communication from 2,000 years ago and the communication of today. Jesus probably never heard the word metaphoric in his time...so it was explained in the best way they could explain it for their communication skills of that day. I believe it is a very literal place as well, as I also believe depression and sadness are very literal places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity