U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:15 PM

810 posts, read 1,352,767 times

Advertisements

I searched and didn't find a thread specifically addressing this topic, so I thought I'd start one...(my first). The thread about "Sex in the Church" seemed to be heading in this direction.

After reading many posts with people saying, "the church can't tell me what to do", I wondered what you all thought. Do you think your "Church", the faith that you subscribe to, should have the authority to uphold biblical/Godly standards and expect all church goers to adhere to these standards? If yes, how should they hold the members accountable?

This is based on the scripture in 2 Thessalonians 3:13-15

Last edited by beeveenh; 08-11-2008 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:33 PM

10,582 posts, read 11,000,173 times
I am not a Christian and I do not believe in Christianity or the organization of any religion, however, that being said, I do believe that any group of followers who are going to live their lives by the rules and regulations set down in a sacred book, should do just that, and if they have given some individual authority the power to oversee that they are living by those rules and regulations, then they should abide by that, otherwise that sacred book has no meaning whatsoever. Just my opinion.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 PM

69 posts, read 115,393 times
Default Yes, some accountability is necessary

2 Thessalonians 3:13-15
“If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of him. Do not associate with him, in order that he may feel ashamed. Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.”

Yes, I think the church should attempt to hold members accountable for flagrant sin, such as an unrepentant adulterer or drunkard. Of course, we need balance here. None of us are perfect, and we all sin at times, and some “sins” are grey areas, so we shouldn’t be attacking each other like rabid jackals. However, obvious sin needs to be addressed, and after warning the person to stop, it he doesn’t stop, I would say removing him as a church member would be appropriate, until he stopped committing that sin. People in sin would be allowed to attend church, but believers should not treat them as brothers in the Lord.

This is a difficult subject and one that I find distasteful, but some accountability is necessary in order to help keep the church pure.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:53 PM

7,615 posts, read 18,146,466 times
Yes, we (wife/I) do believe that the church should be kept clean. If a Pastor or Minister (or one of their Staff) calls a home to arrange a "home visit", that should be done. Sometimes we really believe that some people literally "use" the church each Sunday to "forgive" their weekly sins. They go to church, sing the Hymns, read Bible verses, listen to the Sermon and then go and do whatever they want. They say, "the church can't tell me how to live my life......this is MY life!!" WRONG!!!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:15 PM

14,163 posts, read 25,213,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Yes, we (wife/I) do believe that the church should be kept clean. If a Pastor or Minister (or one of their Staff) calls a home to arrange a "home visit", that should be done. Sometimes we really believe that some people literally "use" the church each Sunday to "forgive" their weekly sins. They go to church, sing the Hymns, read Bible verses, listen to the Sermon and then go and do whatever they want. They say, "the church can't tell me how to live my life......this is MY life!!" WRONG!!!!!

Wow! Authoritarianism bordering on fascism. I'll pass on that!

Actually, it IS my life and no church can tell me how to live it.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 14,154,268 times
Moved from R&P

Old 08-11-2008, 02:21 PM

Please read my last reply in "Living Together/Sex In The Church (from LoveBoating).
I just talked to a Pastor at a large Baptist church we us to go to in Colorado.
So, now what do I think......so much for keeping the church clean!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Then why even go to church??????? And, where in the heck to you get this "Authoritarianism bordering on fascism thing"? Do whatever you want to away from the church and the church is just suppose to accept it? Well, someone (you or us) are wayyyyy off base and in todays world, many folks will say it is us. But, that sure don't mean it's true/right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Wow! Authoritarianism bordering on fascism. I'll pass on that!

Actually, it IS my life and no church can tell me how to live it.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:31 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,926,766 times
I started a thread the other day that runs along the same line of thought:

Accountability & Church Purity- Do we really want it?

That thread idea had also come to my mind when reading some of the replies in the thread "Living Together".

I guess it depends what your idea of "church" is.. an inspirational social gathering, or God's representative on earth?

Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM

810 posts, read 1,352,767 times
sorry cg81, I missed your post a couple of days ago. I see not too many people posted. Maybe that is indicative of their sentiment.

Quote:
I guess it depends what your idea of "church" is.. an inspirational social gathering, or God's representative on earth?
I totally agree! I think people have distanced themselves from God and only see the priests and ministers as the higher authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity