Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:03 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times

Advertisements

In my late teens and early 20s, I questioned my faith and toyed with the idea of atheism. Now, I have my faith back and it's better and stronger than before.

Recently, my MIL gave me a book called "Heaven Without Her". It's non fiction and I'm about 3/4 through it. It was written recently by a woman who although she was raised in a Christian family, she never believed herself. This is the story of her journey "back".

Although I don't agree with her 100% in all areas of her beliefs, the pure biblical knowledge in it would've been very helpful while I was struggling. I expressed surprise to my dh that his stepmom sent it to me due to several lines that seemed in direct violation to talks we've had. He pointed out that the book has me thinking and questioning in new ways. So, maybe that was her point. Once I finish reading it (probably sometime tomorrow), I'll call her and ask her to discuss it and the reason she sent it to me.

In the meantime, I seem to be recommending it to everyone I know. It's written in almost a "novel" tone, though it's non fiction. The research this lady did is mind blowing and staggering, and I like how she can condense the really "boring" parts into something interesting. After I finish reading it, I'll be looking more deeply into a few points she just touched on... in the back, she not only footnotes the bible passages and excerpts from books and newspapers, but also lists each book she used in her research... which will hopefully make it easier for me to find out more about what I want to.

One thought of mine that I've always believed and Kitty touches on... religion is MANmade. God's Grace is divine.

Well, that's my two cents. Good luck and God Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,355 times
Hi Kristaleigh, to me it sounds like you have never been saved in the first place. The JW cult is decieving and false. It teaches salvation by good works. We can never earn our salvation, we will never be good enough to God. The reason you feel like this is because you do not know the peace of God. I do not think you have lost any Faith, I just think maybe God (and by that I mean the only true God of the bible) is showing you that you need a saviour. You can not save yourself, and you are right about worrying about what happens when you die. The bible says unless you are born again you will not see the Kingdom of God. Its either you will go to heaven or Hell. The bible makes that clear. We all have sinned and fallen short of the standard of God. Read the ten commandments and see if have ever broken one of them. The bible says if have have broken just one commandment you are guilty of breaking all of them. If you have done so on the day of Judgement God will have to give you justice and the place you deserve is Hell.
However God so loved the world that he gave his only beggoten son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. If you repent of your sins today, ( by that i mean you have to stop sinning) and put your trust in Jesus to save you, God will grant you forgiveness, not on the basis that you are a good person, but on the basis that you broke God's law and Jesus paid your fine on the cross. It is called grace. The same thing hapend to me 2 and half years ago and I was saved. What you need is to be born again, that is your greatest need in your life. Visit [URL="http://www.thewayofthemaster.com"]www.thewayofthemaster.com[/URL] for more information
Will be praying for you
Jean

Old 01-27-2009, 06:45 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristaleigh View Post
Hello...let me give you a little background without writing a novel if at all possible.
I was raised a Jehovah's Witness. I was very happy through my childhood as one. I always had peace with God and faith in the bible and his promises.
Three years ago I left an abusive marriage (and got a divorce) and later started dating someone who was not a Jehovah's Witness. He is my husband now and he's wonderful and the closest friends I have. Since I have been with him I haven't practiced the JW religion. I started reading and doing my own studying and started disagreeing with a lot of things and felt that in good conscience I couldn't go back to the JWs.
The problem is that I equiviated an organization with God himself for so long that I feel like I can't have a relationship with him anymore becasue he only will "deal" with me if I am part of His "true" religion.... and because I feel confused, scared, and guilty (just in case JW is the "true" religion as they claim to be) and what's worse is that I have started to lose all faith in God himself. Even though I have spoken to Him for years and FELT Him with me and gained so much stength and guidance form Him, I now wonder if He even exists! It is a TERRIBLE feeling to lose your faith. It is like losing a loved one in death...
When you are a JW, you cannot just go to the church for encouragment and take what you want from the sermons and go home and live your own life. You must do ALL the things that their "society" says becasue they claim to be God's ONLY TRUE spokesperson. If I were to do something that I felt in good conscience in front of God to do (like smoke a cigarette, celebrate a birthday, take a blood transfusion, etc...) but the JWs said it was wrong, I could be disfellowshipped (excommunicated) and not be able to even speak to anyone who is a JW. My own mother is a JW so that is not what I want. I haven't been to their church in three years so I feel no danger that I will be disfellowshiped, but I haven't been to any other church either (That is just about the ultimate sin according to the JW) and feel so worried about things that I never worried about before becasue I had faith in God; things like, What happens to me when I die? Will I see my children/husband/parents again when we die? Is God real and does He approve of my life even though I am not a JW? I know it is hard for some to understand, but it is all I have ever know.
I am never at peace and won't be until I feel God in my life again. It has robbed me of much joy. Thanks for listening!
Btw, I pray to God and ask for Him to show me that He's there and real and loves me, but I see and feel nothing. I feel like I am talking to myself. Why is this???
Yea, I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. I don't know Jw personally, but I have studied the religion. I am a Christian, but I welcome and like to be around all people, no matter their religion or race. Just ask God to reveal himself to you and build your relationship with him. God loves you. I don't think that you are losing your faith, I think there are times when are faith is tested, and then we start to question our faith. God is real and he does love you. We are not perfect, and everyone goes through up and downs some days. I hope that you feel better soon, and I will pray for you. YOu know there were times when I thought that God left me, or abandoned me. But God stepped in and comforted me. God does things on his terms, and if he does not speak to you at that time, does not mean that he does not love you. Don't give up, juse keep on keeping on.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 AM

342 posts, read 540,638 times
Kristaleigh, You have not lost your Faith....but God has taken you out of a false religion (JW cult).......Praise be to GOD......You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.....There is NOTHING more important then your eternal salvation irregardless of life's circumstances......Repent of your past sins turn from them and accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your Saviour and Lord.....Jesus is GOD.....He alone can save us by his atoning sacrifice since He alone kept the commandments perfectly.....Trust in no demomination....Read and STUDY the (unaltered version) Bible......and ask(pray) God to lead you to his TRUE CHURCH (it's not a denomination necessarily).....ask Him to guide you with the Power of the HOLY SPIRIT....He will honor that prayer......You will then be equipped to spread the mesage of the Gospel (the good news) and YOU will be a powerful witness for the Lord to family & friends but exspect trials and rejections along the way.......However reject the truth for NO ONE........God bless

Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 AM

147 posts, read 312,849 times
As cliche as it sounds it is alright to be confused. I can relate as I am still having trouble rectifying my "broken" faith. However, be careful of using others as grounds for whatever belief system that you chose to embrace. Many will come to you claiming they "have the answer".

Phrases like: "Maybe you were never saved to begin with", "Pray about it", "Ask x,y,z into your heart" will be common. Sometimes this will cause you do doubt more... other times it will just anger you.

I propose the following:
"If God wants to be known and you seek to find Him. Then you will eventually know God."

So all i can say is take your time, be true to yourself and good luck. This is your journey.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:40 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,697 times
Quote:
Hello...let me give you a little background without writing a novel if at all possible.
I was raised a Jehovah's Witness. I was very happy through my childhood as one. I always had peace with God and faith in the bible and his promises.
Three years ago I left an abusive marriage (and got a divorce) and later started dating someone who was not a Jehovah's Witness. He is my husband now and he's wonderful and the closest friends I have. Since I have been with him I haven't practiced the JW religion. I started reading and doing my own studying and started disagreeing with a lot of things and felt that in good conscience I couldn't go back to the JWs.
The problem is that I equiviated an organization with God himself for so long that I feel like I can't have a relationship with him anymore becasue he only will "deal" with me if I am part of His "true" religion.... and because I feel confused, scared, and guilty (just in case JW is the "true" religion as they claim to be) and what's worse is that I have started to lose all faith in God himself. Even though I have spoken to Him for years and FELT Him with me and gained so much stength and guidance form Him, I now wonder if He even exists! It is a TERRIBLE feeling to lose your faith. It is like losing a loved one in death...
When you are a JW, you cannot just go to the church for encouragment and take what you want from the sermons and go home and live your own life. You must do ALL the things that their "society" says becasue they claim to be God's ONLY TRUE spokesperson. If I were to do something that I felt in good conscience in front of God to do (like smoke a cigarette, celebrate a birthday, take a blood transfusion, etc...) but the JWs said it was wrong, I could be disfellowshipped (excommunicated) and not be able to even speak to anyone who is a JW. My own mother is a JW so that is not what I want. I haven't been to their church in three years so I feel no danger that I will be disfellowshiped, but I haven't been to any other church either (That is just about the ultimate sin according to the JW) and feel so worried about things that I never worried about before becasue I had faith in God; things like, What happens to me when I die? Will I see my children/husband/parents again when we die? Is God real and does He approve of my life even though I am not a JW? I know it is hard for some to understand, but it is all I have ever know.
I am never at peace and won't be until I feel God in my life again. It has robbed me of much joy. Thanks for listening!
Btw, I pray to God and ask for Him to show me that He's there and real and loves me, but I see and feel nothing. I feel like I am talking to myself. Why is this???

First let me say I'm so sorry this has happened.

If you notice I high-lighted the word 'confused'. God is not the author of confusion so then we must ask, "who IS the author of confusion?" And of course there's only one answer. The god fo this world. i.e satan. So right away you know where your confusion is coming from.

Before you can rebuke satan you must have the authority. How do you get that authority? By making Jesus both Saviour and LORD of you life. Then you can
say something such as, "I command you satan in the Name of the Lord to take up your weapons and flee for the Lord has given me authority over you."

Another thing you need to understand is Jesus is the one who reveals the Father to us. The real Father, not Jehovah of the JW's. (I realize this last statement will anger some). Get to know Jesus by reading everything the Bible says about Him and then ask HIM to reveal the Father to you.

Start with the book of John and let the LOVE of God fill your heart and mind.

I know you've been taught Jesus isn't God because the JW's changed John 1:1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with (the/ho) God, and the Word was (no article)God.

JW's say the last word "God" doesn't mean THE God as the first one does because there is no article. What you need to understand is that in the Greek when the first noun (God) has 'the article' it isn't neccessary to put 'the/ho' in front of the second "God" for one just automaticallly knows it means the same.

I sent a prayer for you.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:07 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,752,311 times
Lightbulb Faith and Hope

[quote]
Quote:

Psalms 16:11 Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Psalms 16:9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.

Romans 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

2 Cor.1:6-7 And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation.
And our hope of you is stedfast, knowing, that as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation.

Gal. 5:5-6 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Eph. 1:17-19 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Col. 1:4-5 Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;

1 Thess. 1:3 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

Heb. 3:4 For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.

Heb 3:6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:27 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
It appears I am the first to say "Congratulations!"

I know this is troubling to you and that you seem "disenfranchised" at this time. But trust me, it gets better. And better and better and better until you won't believe you could be so lucky. Simply have patience......remember, Jesus has been waiting on you for a LONG long time.....and the OT says those who wait on the Lord WILL be renewed......

So take yourself into a quiet place, pray a lot. Pray from the heart.......do not pray for stuff.......just let God know how you are doing, what you are doing, thanksgiving for blessings big and small......He knows what you need and don't need......so you don't need to ask for stuff......just open the lines of communication.

Also, spend a LOT of time reading your Bible.......get a NIV or Living Bible....that one used by JW's was changed slightly......and not for the better. By reading the Bible you get a sense of what happened to create the need for Jesus, what Jesus did about it, and how the current organizations developed. It's a good read and worth rereading frequently.

But the most important thing is to start praying. Your prayer lines, unused to the real Jesus for years, needs to be opened up....and it takes time. Kind of like a clogged water line.....it needs to be start flowing for a while before it is open enough so you can get a good healthy stream through it. So keep praying, and start reading..........

And again, congratulations on your NEW walk with the real Jesus..........

Old 04-19-2011, 01:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,563 times
[mod] solicitation [/mod]

BEWARE of their JOKE! They are losers and liars. People there will make you feel cheap inspite of their own sins that they're trying to hide. It's leaders are the opposite of being loving and believe they are better than the common people who seek their help. I don't know how they think they can help minister healing of any kind when they indeed hate so much. Stay away if you don't want to get REALLY hurt, and NEVER tell them anything personal about yourself!

Moreover, some there are currently changing the general stance on guilt from sin, that it basically doesn't matter whether you know whether or not you're sinning. That's a trap right there because I'll guarantee that there's a limit, and be prepared for guilt and disappointment when it's crossed. Just a warning.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-19-2011 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 09:29 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Probably the reason you feel like your talking to yourself is because Jesus said...
"I am the way, the truth and the life. Nobody comes to the Father except through me [Jesus]". John 14:6
Salvation isn't through an organization.
God isn't generic...he is a very specific God.
God's word isn't found in any other place except through the Bible.
Only the Bible reveals who the true God is.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us." John 1:1,4

The Bible counteracts all the evil I hear about and gives me a positive outlook. From the Bible I learn that God loves me and He accepts me for Jesus' sake... offering forgiveness free of cost, free of conditions.

The Bible reveals that I have eternal life right now by grace through faith.
  • Trust in Jesus, not in an organization John 3:16
  • I know that I have eternal life 1 John 5:13
  • I know that I will be with Jesus forever John 14:1-6
  • I'm not saved by what I do. Rather I do good works out of love for God Ephesians 2:8-10
There is a huge spiritual void occuring today. That void is going to get filled by something.
For some being agnostic is the answer, while others atheism...yet nobody wants to feel unworthy.

Jesus said:
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

I would recommend His Healing Now , there have been many people like you who are seeking but are not finding the rest.

Last edited by twin.spin; 04-21-2011 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: spacing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity