U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:44 PM

188 posts, read 486,499 times

Advertisements

Whether Protestant or Catholic (or other religious belief), please identify which doctrinal belief you don't believe in and why you don't agree with such doctrinal belief. You may use scriptures to support your belief, but the key idea here is to note the average response (if there is one) to the differences between the 2 religions and why they believe the way they do.

If there was already a thread on this, I'm sorry. I didn't see one. So I look forward to reading everyone's personal thoughts on the discussion.

If you are Catholic or Protestant, please note this in your response. The idea isn't to argue, but rather to see which scriptural basis each religious belief is using to support their beliefs, and to cover as many differences as possible in this thread.

I'm a Protestant by the way, and I'll be taking some juicy notes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:51 PM

8,831 posts, read 10,901,091 times
Good thread, Reformed. I'm Protestant, but I'm just too tired to explain right now. I'll catch up with you later.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:25 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,914,508 times
Well, this could be an engaging discussion, but I'm sure it will turn into a huge debate and I really don't want to get too involved in polemics. That being as it is, I'm not actually Catholic but I refuse to identify myself as Protestant. I simply do not agree with Protestantism at all. I am more and more convinced of the correct doctrine found within Catholicism/Orthodoxy, but have yet to pursue a full conversion.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,914,951 times
I'm Catholic but won't participate in the showcasing, reason I'm responding anyway though is because I wish instead of trying to start yet another debate between Catholic's & Protestants (which is what this will turn into) we could actually just agree to disagree on many things, but still respect eachothers beliefs and values. When discussions like this are over no one is really going to change their stance anyway, instead it just becomes judging and criticizing and it really gets old.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I'm Catholic but won't participate in the showcasing, reason I'm responding anyway though is because I wish instead of trying to start yet another debate between Catholic's & Protestants (which is what this will turn into) we could actually just agree to disagree on many things, but still respect eachothers beliefs and values. When discussions like this are over no one is really going to change their stance anyway, instead it just becomes judging and criticizing and it really gets old.
No, no. Don't insinuate that I'm trying to start a debate between C&P's. I'm interested in seeing the different viewpoints and the different scriptures each side uses as a basis for their beliefs.

It's funny sometimes to see people become so defensive, or too tired to 'engage' in the conversation, when all someone was really trying to do was become more enlightened on specific aspects on the religious differences.

For example, I'd like to know why Catholics pray to Mary and where this came from? Am I wrong in saying this? Do they not pray to Mary, or do they just ask Mary to pray for them? You see, I'm actually asking a question here. I study theology and though I know that I don't believe in many Catholic beliefs, I'd like to be educated on why they believe the things they believe and which scriptures or biblical lines of reasoning they use for their beliefs? In short, I have not studied theology of Catholicism, but rather just Protestantism. And if I want to be fully educated, should I not know the basis for why BOTH sides believe the way they do? I look forward to learning more about the Catholic side, but I do not think I will be 'converting' to it. It is quite remarkable to remember though, that wisdom is power, and perhaps someone else will come along into this forum and actually gain something from this thread.

So back to the questions in the original post, can anyone add anything? Sorry if I came across the wrong way, or made it look as if I was trying to start some 'heated debate'.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,825,993 times
For a long time, I was vehemently against Catholicism due to many very obvious blemishes on its history. Also, it seemed sort of like a religion that people could claim to without ever actually learning about scripture. There appears to be a lot of hypocrisy and greed in the Catholic church, not to mention the blasphemous connotations of the Pope, confession, and several other rituals that mimic idolatry.

All the same, it eventually became clear that Protestant history is pretty reprehensible itself, with a great deal of superstition, judgmentalism, and violent suppression. Even though they tended to have more scriptural knowledge, all the legalism and hate really seemed to demonstrate that the knowledge hadn't done much in the way of fostering an understanding of Jesus.

Of course, in the end, especially as any self aware person realizes that they themselves are a part of some future's history, it's easy to see that people will be people and cannot be generalized by the heinous things a few people have done, even if those heinous people were in a position of leadership.

There have been numerous Catholics and Protestants who have done profoundly benevolent things and offered exemplary wisdom to the ages. Sadists and bigots are truly a minority, and although their damage is far reaching, their influence on their alleged denominations has a long way to go before it can compare to the influence of compassionate, open-minded people in each denomination.

The argument that will surely ensue on this thread will try to both cast blame and shirk blame; however, in the end, it is all in vain. What's done is done, both good and bad. The only real blame belongs to the person who is too busy in the throes of generalized blame to look in the mirror at their own blame. Whether you're Catholic or Protestant, what really matters is not what name you give to your belief, but what you do with that belief.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Well, this could be an engaging discussion, but I'm sure it will turn into a huge debate and I really don't want to get too involved in polemics. That being as it is, I'm not actually Catholic but I refuse to identify myself as Protestant. I simply do not agree with Protestantism at all. I am more and more convinced of the correct doctrine found within Catholicism/Orthodoxy, but have yet to pursue a full conversion.
Now please don't take this the wrong way. I've gone so far as to ask Athiests why they feel the way they do, and we've had some very interesting conversations. So might I ask you what your experience was that made you reject Protestantism? Thanks!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:26 AM

756 posts, read 2,480,802 times
from what Ive gathered through the months on here going back and forth regarding the rcc and mary.....

It comes down to this...

Protestants believe in only the Bible, whereas RCC hold the Church as just as important.
therefore creating an unbalanced discussion (meaning bible vs church)
both have different views of the church....

Its one thing to discuss scripture alone....yet the true catholic cannot dismiss the church doctrine.
...it would be like any christian spreading the good news not being able to use the words
"born again".... almost impossible....

so if the 'reformed protestant' does not recognize the church as important as the bible....there can not be an equel discussion....

I would love to discuss scripture.....not so sure how I feel about the RCC ....seeing as I am a 'Calvary Chapel' kinda girl....protestant............

(I hope that didnt sound snobby, just wanted to say what ive noticed...I dont think anyone is 'wrong' or I am 'better'....God is the Judge of mans heart and I think we are all the body of Christ....)

Old 08-14-2008, 12:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,825,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Whether you're Catholic or Protestant, what really matters is not what name you give to your belief, but what you do with that belief.
Just 'cause I can see it coming, I'm going to clarify that the above assertion of mine is not a reference to faith vs. deeds as a means to salvation. In fact, what I'm saying is more aimed at discouraging those sort of arguments. In that particular argument (for one example among many others), the whole comparison only sublimates two important aspects of calling oneself a Christian. Those who argue in favor of one are latently sublimating the value of both. Both faith and exemplary deeds should merely happen without any thought as to their importance, for they are both important parts of being a genuine Christian.

To clarify what I intend with the above quote, I'm hoping to relay that self-improvement and accountability are important because, no matter your belief, if it represents Christ, it should be a good example to others and not sow the discord of petty bickering.

All the same, I'm not discouraging the intent of this thread, but just trying to expose the arguers' folly (and counterproductivity) in advance so that a more philosophical discussion can dominate.

Last edited by stingraynm; 08-14-2008 at 01:06 AM..

Old 08-14-2008, 05:10 AM

1,169 posts, read 2,400,453 times
There are some big differences between protestant belief and catholics.

Mary - held as the Queen of Heaven. Jesus was told in the Bible "Your mother and brothers are outside - (Mary went on to have other children after Jesus was born), Jesus answered "Who are my mother and brothers - YOU are my mother and my brothers if you obey my commandments" Mary is not mentioned much around the time of the crucifiction of after the resurrection. So Mary, is a normal human being, who was brave and wonderful but NOT equal to Jesus. Catholics pray to Mary. But the Bible says there is one who interceeds for us, that is Christ Jesus.

Communuion - Catholics believe the body actually becomes the body of Christ and the wine actually becomes the blood of Jesus. But Jesus said "It is finished" on the cross. We take communion 'in remembrance' of him, we do not forever reinact Jesus death on the cross. HE IS RISEN!!!

Perugatory - Protestants do not believe in a place called perguatroy - we do not need to light candles and say prayers for our loved ones release from this place. When we are saved we KNOW we are saved. The bible says "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord" For the christian we have this assurance of salvation, not doubts about whether Jesus sacrifice really was enough to secure us a place in heaven. There are lots of ifs and buts in Catholiscim but Jesus death really is enough! When we trust in him as our saviour we can KNOW we truly are free and on our way to heaven.

Lots of other little things - the way the saints are prayed to and the way graven images can be almost worshipped. The Priest hearing our confessions and absolving our sins!!! Only Jesus can absolve us of anything. And as christians we are ALL called to be priests!

I am sure Many, many catholics deeply love Jesus - and thank God for Mel Gibson and his courage in making the fil 'The Passion of the Christ', but there are some big errors, I believe in the Catholic Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity