Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:23 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
*Sigh* Yet another reason I'm not thrilled with the Catholic Church these days...guess I'll finally start "shopping."
Wow, it doesn't take much for you, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 11:48 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Well I understand changes in the liturgy upsetting people to that degree - especially if one already has other problems with their church - it is the public worship of the church, if you fell it no longer reflects how you wish to worship that is a big dealer. It's kept us, the Episcopalians, from making a change for thirty years.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:09 AM

396 posts, read 838,183 times
Quote:
I guess someone missed my other post. This is just one of MANY reasons I am looking at other churches. So everyone can stop thinking (and making snide little remarks like that) that it's just one small reason I'm "shopping."

Old 08-18-2008, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,692 times
Everyuthing Vatican II has done is to water down the Catholic faith. They changed the sacraments, the mass, the rosary, universal salvation. Each and every one of these including dialogue has been done to make the Church fit Protestantism, rather than the other way around.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 AM
juj

Quote:
I guess someone missed my other post. This is just one of MANY reasons I am looking at other churches. So everyone can stop thinking (and making snide little remarks like that) that it's just one small reason I'm "shopping."
I read the other post. Small stuff. The fact is you are incredibly blessed to be given the path to the one true Church that Jesus Christ himself started. Start thinking of reasons to stay. To throw it away would be a grave mistake.

When was the last time you went to your priest to ask him the questions you have or to discuss what troubles you? That would be the least you should do to salvage your relationship with the Church. If that gives you no peace, well.....peace be with you.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:26 AM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Well I understand changes in the liturgy upsetting people to that degree - especially if one already has other problems with their church - it is the public worship of the church, if you fell it no longer reflects how you wish to worship that is a big dealer. It's kept us, the Episcopalians, from making a change for thirty years.
High Church, low Church, Episcopalian, Church of England, Anglican Catholics, etc... There is NO one Episcopal Church. Are you speaking only for a small group or your local church?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 AM

396 posts, read 838,183 times
Quote:
I read the other post. Small stuff.
If you read the other post, you wouldn't have made that other comment. Also you can't make a comment like "small stuff" when you neither know me or my reasons. You're starting to sound like my Aunt and Uncle who both act "Holier than the Pope." They are the ones that stood OUTSIDE of the Episcopal Church in the POURING DOWN RAIN during my little cousins baptism. They would not set foot inside because it was not a Catholic Church. That doesn't make sense to me. My Aunt is the one who seems to think that if you aren't Catholic, you are going to Hell. Now, that makes no sense to me, either. There are a good number of things that I don't tolerate and a good number of things that I really am not happy with...especially since JPII died. Yes, I was one of those that really loved JPII and thought he did an awesome job. I also don't like people that pull the "My Mass is better than your Mass" crap (Latin Mass vs. Novus Ordo vs. Orthodox, etc). I've got plenty of reasons that are most definitely not 'Small Stuff' as you seem to think. Don't judge someone you don't know.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
High Church, low Church, Episcopalian, Church of England, Anglican Catholics, etc... There is NO one Episcopal Church. You only speak for a small group or your local church.
That is a misunderstanding of Anglicanism.
First of all the Episcopal Church refers only to the officially recognized US Anglican Church, not Anglicanism as a whole, so the church of England is irrelevant.

But as far as my statement goes it is relevant to the entire Episcopal Church USA. Our liturgy has not bee changed since the 1978 BCP. There have been many attempts to change it, but because the liturgy is central to worship, ie all Episcopal Church's use the same BCP, people have fought having it changed, and it has remained the same since 78.

My larger point is still relevant that the liturgy is our corporate worship, and for someone to have a change to the liturgy be the last straw that finally gets them to change churches isn't so odd. Changing the liturgy in any liturgical church is a big deal.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:10 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
As a curious non-Catholic..

what does this mean?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:13 AM
juj

Quote:
If you read the other post, you wouldn't have made that other comment. Also you can't make a comment like "small stuff" when you neither know me or my reasons. You're starting to sound like my Aunt and Uncle who both act "Holier than the Pope." They are the ones that stood OUTSIDE of the Episcopal Church in the POURING DOWN RAIN during my little cousins baptism. They would not set foot inside because it was not a Catholic Church. That doesn't make sense to me. My Aunt is the one who seems to think that if you aren't Catholic, you are going to Hell. Now, that makes no sense to me, either. There are a good number of things that I don't tolerate and a good number of things that I really am not happy with...especially since JPII died. Yes, I was one of those that really loved JPII and thought he did an awesome job. I also don't like people that pull the "My Mass is better than your Mass" crap (Latin Mass vs. Novus Ordo vs. Orthodox, etc). I've got plenty of reasons that are most definitely not 'Small Stuff' as you seem to think. Don't judge someone you don't know.
I am not judging YOU. I also don't believe if you go to another church, you are necessarily going to hell. That's God's call, not mine. I do however feel that being a member of the ONE true church and having the full truth instead of excerpts and moving elsewhere is a big mistake if you don't at least try to reconcile with the Church by asking the right questions to the right people. Matthew 16 clearly describes the origin of Jesus's Church, the Catholic Church. If you go church shopping, what will be the determining factor in deciding what church is right for you? Good luck because there are over 32,000 Protestant churches which state that they use the Bible as their source of truth. Did Jesus say, if you disagree with my Church, just start another one? Do you think there is ONE truth or 32,000+ versions of the truth? Before you shop elsewhere, bring your shopping cart back to your own parish or neighboring parish and talk to the Priest. You owe it to yourself.

I hope you find your way back home. Peace.

Last edited by juj; 08-18-2008 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity