Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:30 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times

Advertisements

C.E.--Common Era
B.C.E.--Before Common Era

Have heard about this, but was none too pleased to see it in action last night--and on the Food Network. It was an episode of "The Secret Life of..." hosted by George Duran. It made me so mad, I actually turned it off.

So let me see if I have this right. I just have to suck this up and move on with my life. I have no say in the changing of the wording of our calendar, and neither does anyone else, unless you're a broadcasting bigwig.

Well, then. I guess I do have a say in what shows I watch that carry that symbol instead of the traditional B.C. and A.D.. I'll be very sure to check out any and all shows that promote it from now on.

I've already contacted their production company, Greystone Communications, located in Hollywood, CA (no real surprise there) and let them know how I feel.

Before I get attacked for this post, keep in mind that while I understand they have every right to remove B.C. and A.D. from their credits and from text in various segments of their show, I have every right to express my displeasure and my unwillingness to accept it sitting down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Hmmm.... guess I'm totally out of the loop since we watch almost no TV. I have never heard of either of these "new" terms. Yeah, that would bother me too, mom.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:49 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
It's not real popular... just yet.

My understanding is because B.C. is commonly referred to as "before Christ" and A.D. means "year of our Lord" and the world has to now tolerate everything and accept everyone's views, no matter what, that it's offensive to some and therefore they came up with CE and BCE. I've actually seen it used in newspaper articles, mainly scientific dealing with ages of different things.

As I said, it's not real popular and there is some opposition to it even within the intelligencia and the elitists , but I'm sure that will change. We can't have anything today that represents a "Christian" or "religious" historical beginning or perspective --- Heaven forbid !! That's just not smart .

Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
When I was a student of History not too long ago (but not too recently either), BCE was considered proper. It was in most of the scholarly books I used which were mostly published in the late 1990s.
It stood for "Before the Christian Era" which is the most correct way of saying it as far as I can see.

Last edited by b. frank; 01-08-2008 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: added stuff.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
BCE and CE have been used for centuries...they're hardly anything "new"

Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
C.E.--Common Era
B.C.E.--Before Common Era

Have heard about this, but was none too pleased to see it in action last night--and on the Food Network. It was an episode of "The Secret Life of..." hosted by George Duran. It made me so mad, I actually turned it off.

So let me see if I have this right. I just have to suck this up and move on with my life. I have no say in the changing of the wording of our calendar, and neither does anyone else, unless you're a broadcasting bigwig.

Well, then. I guess I do have a say in what shows I watch that carry that symbol instead of the traditional B.C. and A.D.. I'll be very sure to check out any and all shows that promote it from now on.

I've already contacted their production company, Greystone Communications, located in Hollywood, CA (no real surprise there) and let them know how I feel.

Before I get attacked for this post, keep in mind that while I understand they have every right to remove B.C. and A.D. from their credits and from text in various segments of their show, I have every right to express my displeasure and my unwillingness to accept it sitting down.
YEAH!!! Me too!!! I totally agree with u. I did not see that and didn't even know B.C. and A.D. were controverisal or under attack, but hearing about is stirs up righteous indignation in me too. This is just another attempt to bash Christianity. GOD in the person of Jesus, the Christ cannot be exiled...not even from the Media/greystone communications. "The earth belongs to GOD and the fullness thereof..." Moms2feebs don't worry they r just kicking against the pricks- who can fight GOD and win? No one

Old 01-08-2008, 09:01 AM

436 posts, read 809,905 times
Call it what you wish, the fact is that B.C. and A.D. or B.C.E and C.E all boil down to the period before and after Christ.

Hope this makes the atheists feel better.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:03 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
When I was a student of History not too long ago (but not too recently either), BCE was considered proper. It was in most of the scholarly books I used which were mostly published in the late 1990s.
It stood for "Before the Christian Era" which is the most correct way of saying it as far as I can see.
CE stands for Common Era, or Current Era, although some people do substitute Christian.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Yes, I have heard that, generally from Christians wishing to keep "Christ" in the terminology, but among those in the television industry, it's "Common Era" and "Before Common Era".

Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
BCE and CE have been used for centuries...they're hardly anything "new"

They're new in television. They're also controversial, which most people IN television know quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity