U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:10 AM

2,007 posts, read 3,505,165 times

Advertisements

I'm an Atheist but this is how I see Abortion. In my mind these are the only 2 reasons they should be performed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:45 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,369,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm a christian who is also a libertarian.

My view on abortion:

I don't support the choice of abortion when the woman made an irresponsible choice to have unprotected sex and get pregnant with a child that she was apparently not ready for and had no desire to have. I would support adoption in that case. "If you can't do the time, dont do the grind." Martin Lawrence.

But in cases of rape or incest the woman did not have the choice to get pregnant. In those cases ONLY i think the woman should have the right to make a responsible choice to have an abortion or not. I would still favor adoption in those cases but in cases of rape or incest i think the woman should make the choice because a choice was already made for her.
Life is life. It doesn't matter how it comes. A child's origin is not their fault. The answer is NO to abortion under any circumstance outside of the health of the mother! In addition, I fear that in some cases of incest, however few, a poor choice WAS made by the mother.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:53 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,369,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Life begins with breath.

So we are in favour of abortion.
The mother breathes for the child.

Using your logic: When a person stops breathing, we should just let them die and not perform CPR? After all, they must be dead or they are not considered life at all once they stop breathing on their own.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,222,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Why not focus on the true problem, instead of those nasty, judgemental Christians. Maybe if the morals where that of what God wants of people this wouldn't be a issue. But that would take the "fun" away from immoral people and profits from the baby killers and from Planned Parenthoodless...wouldn't it.
And, you are going to instill your values and morals into immoral people, how? It's all well and good to want others to have good morals, but you can't force them to do what you want. Good heavens, the Puritans couldn't get it done, how do we think we can? And, morals have nothing to do with medical problems. Do you honestly think it's our place to force others to have a baby that has massive medical issues? Is it our place to force others to have a baby even if their own life is in danger, (and yes, it does happen, contrary to the many fundamentalists' arguments). Is it our place to force a twelve-year old to carry a baby to term, that was a product of rape or incest?

And, yes, those nasty, judgemental Christians are part of the problem. If they treated women and girls with compassion, (I didn't say with condonement), regardless of how the baby came about, and really helped them, instead of wagging their fingers, and their Bibles, at them, perhaps more of them would actually make a different decision, other than abortion. It amazes me how judgemental "loving", and "Christlike" people can be, without regard to the fact that, "there but for the grace of God, go I". How easy it is to wisely shake our heads, and say, "Thank God, I am not as others are". Seems to me that Jesus had a lot to say about those kinds of attitudes, when he talked about the Pharisees.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM

3,798 posts, read 6,244,052 times
Good Lord, how many threads do we really need on abortion?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:18 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,598,600 times
I never support abortion, period.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:56 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
God saw fit to have the conception take place. He can transform any negative into a positive.

godspeed,

freedom
Why did God see fit to allow the rape in the first place? Yes, yes, I know...Free Will. But the thing that bothers me is that if God really is in control and knows everything we have done and are going to do, then He would know about the rape, know about the baby and already know in advance whether the victim was going to abort it or not. I just can't wrap myself around the idea that God is even involved...which is why I am an Agnostic-Diest I guess, and not a Christian.

A three or four week old fetus does, indeed, have the basic parts of the human anatomy but it is not a thinking feeling entity. It is a parasite... sorry, but that's a simple fact. I carried and bore two parasites myself. I am not pro-abortion, I could never have an abortion myself, but I will defend any woman's right to make that decision herself. No one else knows what is in her mind and heart, and no one else knows her situation. Maybe God does, if He really is there and pays attention, but if He does, then he must know why the woman decides what she decides. If He allows conception from a rape, he'd better well know what this will do to the victim and he'd better either intervene in the situation or forgive her for doing what she feels she must.

The abortion issue is deep and touchy, especially when it involves a rape. I have a hard time accepting the criticisms and opinions of men (who have never given birth) or women who have never been in that horrible situation.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:20 PM

537 posts, read 1,191,200 times
Rom 8:28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:09 PM

31,392 posts, read 50,840,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I'm glad you apparently agree that we should not force other people to do what we think is best for them. The problem is, whenever fundamentalists want to change the laws of the land to forbid abortion, for any reason, then they are forcing the rest of society to live by it's rules. If you would not to allow your young daughter to abort a baby that was the product of rape or incest, that would certainly be your choice, as a family. But, when fundamentalists want to put laws into place that say other families cannot make a different choice for their young daughters, now we're playing an entirely different ballgame. ...
I am a Christian Fundamentalist.

From what I have seen there exist a great many folks who claim the 'fundy' banner in which to wrap themselves, while they teach man-made doctrines.

There are easily at least 10 areas of doctrine where modern Christians differ from Biblical doctrines.

Unfortunately while there do exist some Christians who study the Bible and who refuse any adulterations from centuries of man-made policy; the greater majority of 'christians' knowingly refuse to accept Biblical doctrines.

This I believe is the root cause of the problem that you see.

A failure to adhere to God's Word.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 PM

31,392 posts, read 50,840,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Why not focus on the true problem, instead of those nasty, judgemental Christians. Maybe if the morals where that of what God wants of people this wouldn't be a issue. But that would take the "fun" away from immoral people and profits from the baby killers and from Planned Parenthoodless...wouldn't it.
The world sees christians as nasty and judgemental. Whereas the true Biblical-based doctrines focus on Faith, Hope and Love.

I think that you do address the 'true problem', though only accidentally.

If christians focused themselves on worshipping God, Studying His Word, and sharing His love; wouldn't this world be a much nicer place?

Or perhaps bombing doctor offices is a better thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or