Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I no longer attend church because:
It's too far to travel 2 3.57%
I don't like the music 1 1.79%
I don't like the preacher 3 5.36%
The people aren't very friendly 12 21.43%
Too much talk about money and tithing 10 17.86%
The service is too long 4 7.14%
Too many old people 3 5.36%
Too many young people 0 0%
Too many families and not enough singles 0 0%
Just too lazy to get up and go 21 37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:18 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times

Advertisements

Are you a Bible believing Christian who has left the church for some reason and wants to return but can't find the right church for you and/or your family? What would make you return? Have you ever attended a church you liked? How long ago? What are you looking for in a church home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 07:06 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,868 times
I grew up Baptist and used to go to chruch regularly up until about my mid-late teens. I thought about going back by the time I was in my late 20's but realized my spiritual philosophy had changed since I was younger, so I wanted to try some different denominations. I did find a very friendly little Presbyterian church that I attended a few times when I lived in Colorado, but have since moved. I now live in a rural area outside a smallish town in northern MN and just haven't really gotten around to "trying out" churches around here. A lot of it is laziness, of course, and just getting over the inertia of not having been a regular church goer in so many years.

If I were actively looking for a church, I'd like to find one that is tolerant, friendly, non-judgemental. Age (or other demographics) isn't as big of a deal as the quality of the people. The church I went to in CO was VERY old...I was seriously the only adult there under 50...but the people were just so nice it didn't matter

I'd like a preacher who appeals not only to my spirituality, but also to my intellect. The presby preacher in CO liked to blend historical and sometimes even scientific "tidbits" into his sermons. It was almost like watching a biblical history show on the Discovery channel or something.

Interesting questions...I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:15 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I consider myself a Christian, but I don't attend church and haven't in many years. I have a problem with organized religion, I admit it. I'm not into the ritual and rules, and it seems that many people who call themselves Christians certainly don't behave like they are. Case in point, the two families who say "God bless you" or who listen to a radio preacher on Sunday afternoons are by far the worst families in my whole apartment complex.

I pray. I try to live a Christian life in many ways, and I've taught my kids to do the right thing even if it's difficult or inconvenient. But I can't seem to get past my hangups. The last time I went to church was a candlelight service on Christmas Eve a few years ago, and before that, I can't even remember. If I were going to go regularly, though, I'd try to find a congregational church, because at least they base their teachings from the bible.

And not to make this thread segue into other issues, let me also comment that many Christian factions don't accept gays and lesbians. I refuse to believe that all gays and lesbians are going to Hell because of their sexual orientation, regardless of how they've lived their lives otherwise. Likewise, I have trouble believing that only Christians can be saved. Does that mean all of the buddhists, hindus, Jews, etc. are all doomed? What kind of a God is that, who would let that happen?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to start any kind of debate... but this is why I have trouble with religion. I can be spiritual without necessarily being religious, if that makes sense!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I agree. Or feel that if you are not baptised that you will go to hell? Even if you were a baby? Crazy!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:09 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
I don't just "consider" myself a Christian I am one! To take that title one should know what it means--a follower of Christ which translates into being obedient to his commands like them or not.

I've been a believer for a long time, but in 1993 God moved upon me to leave the denominations because of the compromise and corruption. We conduct house fellowship or home Church if you will.

Most folks get all bent out of shape when you say you left the church. The problem is that true believers don't "leave the Church" that is because we are the Church. One can leave a denomination and still love God and serve Him. There is real confusion over what the ecclesia is, but rest assured it's not a denomination or building.

If you're struggling with this issue I would be happy to help.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
I stopped going when I moved out. The main reason I don't go is because I don't have the time. It seems I'm always doing something, going somewhere, etc and church puts a wrench in that.

However I try to do good and am a believer in Christ. I don't believe in having to listen to a priest to tell you how to live a good life. We all know the difference between right and wrong and if you strive to do good, I believe God will reward you.

There are a few preachers that I like, one of them being Joel Osteen. Whenever he is on, I tune in and listen. He really connects to people and keeps my interest, the priests down here bore me. If I lived in Houston, then yes I would go to his church (Lakewood).

Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 PM

" I have trouble believing that only Christians can be saved. Does that mean all of the buddhists, hindus, Jews, etc. are all doomed?

"Or feel that if you are not baptised that you will go to hell?"

Sorry but that's not true:

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." (Matthew 7:13,14)

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matthew 7:22,23)

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life." (John 6:47)

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." (Acts 16:30,31)

Most importantly is the following:

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
(John 14:6)

Old 02-01-2007, 08:34 PM

431 posts, read 393,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I agree. Or feel that if you are not baptised that you will go to hell? Even if you were a baby? Crazy!
No, no. The Bible clearly states the age of accountability is 12 years old. Babies are not going to hell, I assure you. And baptism is symbolic of a washing away of sin. It's not a key to enter Heaven. Being saved, accepting Christ as Saviour, makes you a Christian. And remember that we Christians are human - not perfect; but we are forgiven if we seek forgiveness from God.

I feel that I haven't gone to church like I used to is because of some kind of peer pressure?? Maybe I'm not saying this correctly but it's almost like if we go to church, then we belong to an organized religion and that makes us bad in the eyes of soooo many people today. And I know I shouldn't worry about what others think.... but I've chosen to stay home and worship and pray and do Bible study, etc. I do know that the Bible clearly states that we should congregate and worship together in the house of the Lord and I'm not doing that currently. Maybe I'll rethink that decision after reading this thread.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 14,969 times
I think that finding church/religion is an individual endeavor. Different churches/religions are meaningful to specific people. One omnipotent "right" church or religious creed? I don't think so. Ever notice the similarity between many religious beliefs? I think the important thing is to find a belief system that helps you function productively and joyously, and that encourages you to help and contribute to others.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittle View Post
No, no. The Bible clearly states the age of accountability is 12 years old.
O really? Can you provide the book, chapter, and verse for that?

Quote:
I do know that the Bible clearly states that we should congregate and worship together in the house of the Lord and I'm not doing that currently. Maybe I'll rethink that decision after reading this thread.
Again, what is the "house of the Lord"? the brick and stone building on the corner? No, I don't think so. It is the people--believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity