Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:15 AM

33 posts, read 23,495 times

Advertisements

I turn 30 on Wednesday and just that thought is surreal. I can't believe that the day has finally arrived. The years have gone by fast, especially the last 2 years. I know it's just a year older but it's surreal to think that, on Wednesday morning I will wake up and no longer be in my 20s. I’m feeling anxious. There’s a real sense of loss. I’m already quite a sentimental person so I am looking back and reflecting on the last decade of my life. I’m sure that many of you did the same when you reached this stage.

I know turning 30, like any similar big milestone can be a difficult process for many people, however added to this issue itself is the fact that I'm still single, living at home with parents and of course waiting for marriage. Like probably everyone on here who is at this age and older and single, I'm sure none of you thought you would be waiting this long either. Yet here we are. How long more, how many years are we to continue fighting this battle?

I have a job at the moment, but it’s not really what I want to do at all long term. I’ve never had any real idea about what I would like to do with my life. I suppose that adds to the overall anxiety. Infact I’ve been out of work for most of my 20s mainly due to illness/depression and just lacking general motivation and desire. I have travelled though quite a lot and had some amazing trips and experiences abroad which I will treasure, looking back they are probably the highlight of my 20s. I’ve had 4/5 relationships, been on many dates, had some good friends and I have been in good physical health. So maybe I shouldn’t be too sad. Maybe I do indeed have a lot to be thankful for.

But to meet someone who I would want to marry BEFORE 30 and thus lose my virginity has always been such a huge focus and goal for me. That's not going to happen now and the wait will continue. Throughout my 20s I thought it would surely happen by now. But it hasn't and that affects me deeply. I finally thought it happened last summer when I met this girl, we dated for almost a year but she turned out to be a toxic character, a damaging relationship which in some ways I'm still recovering from.

My dreams haven't come true, my expectations haven't been met and I’m left wondering what does the future hold for someone in my situation?
Is this the end or could it be the beginning of something new and promising.

Alot of people say that actually the 20s are a difficult period, full of ups and downs and angst, indecision and uncertainty. The thirties are more fulfilling and satisfying as you start to reach a point where you are more comfortable and content with who you are and know what you really want in life. To those of you who are in their 30s can you testify to this? How can I overcome this stage and move on to hope for better days and a promising future ahead?

Old 09-16-2013, 05:22 AM

16 posts, read 11,700 times
It sounds to me like you worry too much.
If you don't like your job, find a new one.
If you want a girlfriend, go find one.
Before you know it, you will be celebrating your 40th birthday - and then your 50th, etc., etc., etc.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:33 AM

10,043 posts, read 4,968,601 times
If you want to hope for better days and a promising future then why not take note and learn of the promising future under Jesus' soon coming 1000-year kingdom reign over earth.- Revelation 22 v 2

I'm in my 30's for the second time. Each decade has its challenges for me.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:48 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
contentment Is the secret. have it and you will be fulfilled. don't have it, you will always chase something, and it will always be a little out of your reach.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:49 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
I'm not sure were in the Bible it says you have to keep your virginity if you're not married.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:53 AM

535 posts, read 967,293 times
John 219 you seem like a sweet, sensitive young man. When I was a kid my daddy always was full of sayings. "Grin and Bear it," he'd tell me when shoving my siblings and I out the front door at 4 in the morning to go pick berries, plums, cherries or whatever crop was ready for harvest. Another of his favorites was, "No one ever promised you a rose garden," when I'd come home with blisters on my palms from working in the hay or moving irrigation pipe with the boys. I can see him at the kitchen table telling us kids, "You gotta pull your own weight, and pull up your own bootstraps."

Looking back, my 30's were one of my best decades. I was married, had two wonderful kids who still thought the world revolved around me, a super hubby, full time employment and a mortgage. It was the decade I changed career paths from grade school teacher to college teacher. I was looking forward to what the Lord was to bring next.

Enough about me. You sound depressed. I read where that has been an issue for you. How do you treat it? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 Years?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:14 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john219 View Post
I turn 30 on Wednesday and just that thought is surreal. I can't believe that the day has finally arrived. The years have gone by fast, especially the last 2 years. I know it's just a year older but it's surreal to think that, on Wednesday morning I will wake up and no longer be in my 20s. I’m feeling anxious. There’s a real sense of loss. I’m already quite a sentimental person so I am looking back and reflecting on the last decade of my life. I’m sure that many of you did the same when you reached this stage.

I know turning 30, like any similar big milestone can be a difficult process for many people, however added to this issue itself is the fact that I'm still single, living at home with parents and of course waiting for marriage. Like probably everyone on here who is at this age and older and single, I'm sure none of you thought you would be waiting this long either. Yet here we are. How long more, how many years are we to continue fighting this battle?

I have a job at the moment, but it’s not really what I want to do at all long term. I’ve never had any real idea about what I would like to do with my life. I suppose that adds to the overall anxiety. Infact I’ve been out of work for most of my 20s mainly due to illness/depression and just lacking general motivation and desire. I have travelled though quite a lot and had some amazing trips and experiences abroad which I will treasure, looking back they are probably the highlight of my 20s. I’ve had 4/5 relationships, been on many dates, had some good friends and I have been in good physical health. So maybe I shouldn’t be too sad. Maybe I do indeed have a lot to be thankful for.

But to meet someone who I would want to marry BEFORE 30 and thus lose my virginity has always been such a huge focus and goal for me. That's not going to happen now and the wait will continue. Throughout my 20s I thought it would surely happen by now. But it hasn't and that affects me deeply. I finally thought it happened last summer when I met this girl, we dated for almost a year but she turned out to be a toxic character, a damaging relationship which in some ways I'm still recovering from.

My dreams haven't come true, my expectations haven't been met and I’m left wondering what does the future hold for someone in my situation?
Is this the end or could it be the beginning of something new and promising.

Alot of people say that actually the 20s are a difficult period, full of ups and downs and angst, indecision and uncertainty. The thirties are more fulfilling and satisfying as you start to reach a point where you are more comfortable and content with who you are and know what you really want in life. To those of you who are in their 30s can you testify to this? How can I overcome this stage and move on to hope for better days and a promising future ahead?
You couldn't pay me to go back to being 30, lol!! YES, it gets lots better.

Honey, what you are feeling is pretty typical for many in your age group.

While self introspection and reflection are good, rumination and too much self-involvement will make you crazy.

Read Luke 12:22

Focus on the message Jesus gave and make the choice to let go of your fears and anxieties before they make your life miserable.

Also, consider some sessions with a therapist to help you learn some coping techniques and skills for enhancing your social life.

Best of luck - and ENJOY YOUR BIRTHDAY!!

Old 09-16-2013, 11:18 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,591 times
My 30s sucked. But so did my 20s and everything preceding that.

A day out the womb and I should have had my life planned and figured out. That's the Darwinian fact. I didn't and pay the Darwinian consequences. If I could do things over I'd have joined the French Foreign Legion if I'd have joined the military at all. That would have given me an opportunity at citizenship in France and I would have learned the French language. Odds are life would have been extraordinarily better for me. But I was foolish and bought into the lies and returned to Milwaukee with all the horrible people that fill it.

Your problem is you didn't have Chinese parents. That's why you had no career path set for you at age 9. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother: Amy Chua: 9780143120582: Amazon.com: Books

The good news is you've still got God, and faith in God can move mountains, if you truly have trust in God that deeply. And if you do, in the end God will see you through in one way or another.

But age 30 ain't too old yet, it's not too young anymore either. You can't afford to remain to indecisive. You need to set out some goals, work towards fulfilling them, and ask God for the grace to remain steadfast on seeing them through.

Your travels are a benefit for you. Feel good about that. Many have not traveled and seen as much as you.

But I would stop listening to lies of a happy future that passively comes, and one that emerges today through sheer hard work independent of any practical career oriented goals. You can work hard mopping floors all day long. At age 50 you'll still be broke and womanless no matter how much speed vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, and changing the plastic bags in trash pales you do.

If you have the mathematical ability to succeed in the course work required to get into an engineering program then do that. You can be miserable being an engineer but it is better to be miserable with $20 in your pocket than to be miserable with zero dollars in your pocket. Learn a foreign language, learn judo, buy a pistol, fix up your car or get one and slowly fix it up, seek advise at a good clothing store on helping build your wardrobe, learn how to salsa or waltz. Do something to develop and improve your social success.

And seek the advice of those you see in life that you'd like to emulate--over and above listening to me.

But learn from Jesus too. He's someone to emulate... unless you want to be a card shark or Colombian gangster.

In a vision of Jesus the Rwandan boy Segatashya of Kibeho had... he said Jesus has a strong, physical build like someone that has done hard physical labor all their life. So, there's nothing wrong building solid stone homes for a living or hanging semi loads of drywall on a daily basis.

Just my 2 cents. You can ignore it all or take what little bits sound useful to you.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM

987 posts, read 1,119,368 times
Happy Birthday!!!! Celebrate life. Many don't reach 30. My birthday is tomorrow too. I turn 64. Nothing is as I thought or hoped it would be 30 years ago. Some things are better but I am divorced and without a significant other. But I have friends, I have reasonably good health, a roof over my head and food in my fridge. I don't see my kids as often as I'd like but when I do we are on good terms. Yes, think on the good and positive side. Get involved with whatever interests you. Often there are groups that meet and discuss or do those things. Volunteer and before you know it some girl will see how happy you are and will want to get to know that man. It's always nice to see someone who is smiling. It's smart to prepare for tomorrow but enjoy what you have now because it may NOT get better. that's the truth. But breathe in life for as long as you can and remember to thank the Creator for all that you receive, both Good AND Bad. God bless

Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
The problem is that once you hit 30, things really speed up, almost like fast-forward, and you'll be 40 before you know it. Enjoy, while it lasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.