Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:16 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,585,696 times

Advertisements

Waw is not the 6th letter. Please cite your sources.

Vav for Modern AND Ancient Hebrew.

You can't agree with the verses I put as you wrote that Exodus 6:9 means that God was saying His name was what you believe it to be.

God of Abraham, God of Isaac, and God of Jacob is His name, and is the name that all know Him by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 04:26 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,859,644 times
Default I found these interesting.

Many Jehovah's Witnesses will tell you that they derive their doctrines from the Bible and only from the Bible. In reality, they derive their doctrines from what the Watchtower says about the Bible.

Jehovah's Witness doctrine is not from the Bible alone

Jehovah's Witnesses claim to be the prophet of God at this time.1 Accordingly, they should be judged to be a true or false prophet on the basis of their prophecies:
"And you may say in your heart, 'How shall we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?' "When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him. (Deuteronomy 18:21-22)
False Prophecies of the Jehovah's Witnesses (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania)

Old 10-20-2008, 04:34 PM

I knew about the false prophecies....

Just wondering why anyone would use the name 'Jehovah' when those who 'figured it out' didnt

1. Consult Jews
2. Even to this day the Jews tell them that they are using the word improperly.
3. the oracles of God are given UNTO the Jews.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:20 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Waw is not the 6th letter. Please cite your sources.

Vav for Modern AND Ancient Hebrew.

You can't agree with the verses I put as you wrote that Exodus 6:9 means that God was saying His name was what you believe it to be.

God of Abraham, God of Isaac, and God of Jacob is His name, and is the name that all know Him by.

My source was a Hebrew professor out of Pa. He showed me out of his own textbook but since I don't have access to that textbook, I suppose that means I'm wrong. Thanks for setting me straight.

So if they did not know or state his name, what did God mean when he said he wanted his name declared to the ends of the earth? I have never had anyone say to me that God was unknown to the Jews. I'm kind of at a loss. And I've talked to a LOT of people. Seems like if your argument held water, it would certainly have come up before??

Old 10-20-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Many Jehovah's Witnesses will tell you that they derive their doctrines from the Bible and only from the Bible. In reality, they derive their doctrines from what the Watchtower says about the Bible.

Jehovah's Witness doctrine is not from the Bible alone

Jehovah's Witnesses claim to be the prophet of God at this time.1 Accordingly, they should be judged to be a true or false prophet on the basis of their prophecies:
"And you may say in your heart, 'How shall we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?' "When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him. (Deuteronomy 18:21-22)
False Prophecies of the Jehovah's Witnesses (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania)

The Watchtower came AFTER doctrine. Doctrine lies in scripture alone. I have never had any difficulty explaining my beliefs from the bible alone; no Watchtower necessary. Citing websites are not a good idea as the information on those sites are bound to be biased. It's best to look in actual religon history books and the like so as to NOT read the info out of context. I've been a JW most of my life and I can attest to that.

We don't make prophecies. There have been mistakes made in the past and these have been rectified. But if you think that we are 'false prophets', then you undoubtedly have been misinformed and don't know very much about the way we, as a people, work. I'll be glad to clear up any misunderstandings.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 PM

Why dont you read the articles that say Jews say that the name jehovah or any other close to it...yahweh is WRONG! They have stated in many places that it is IMPOSSIBLE for His name to be Yahweh

His name is not jehovah or yahweh.

I didn't say 'God' was unknown to the Jews.
I said that the NAME OF GOD was unknown to the Jews.

It's funny how it was 'unknown' until the last 4 centuries. It was made up, and is now the real name of God according to men

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
My source was a Hebrew professor out of Pa. He showed me out of his own textbook but since I don't have access to that textbook, I suppose that means I'm wrong. Thanks for setting me straight.

So if they did not know or state his name, what did God mean when he said he wanted his name declared to the ends of the earth? I have never had anyone say to me that God was unknown to the Jews. I'm kind of at a loss. And I've talked to a LOT of people. Seems like if your argument held water, it would certainly have come up before??

Last edited by renriq02; 10-20-2008 at 06:36 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 06:24 PM

So they have never made a prophecy that was false?

I know there are many incorrect teachings like about the 144k being Gentiles, only a few are actually saved, Jesus can't be worshipped or prayed to, Jesus 2nd coming happened in 1914, Jesus did not rise out of the grave in a physical manner, etc

Jesus is also Michael the archangel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
The Watchtower came AFTER doctrine. Doctrine lies in scripture alone. I have never had any difficulty explaining my beliefs from the bible alone; no Watchtower necessary. Citing websites are not a good idea as the information on those sites are bound to be biased. It's best to look in actual religon history books and the like so as to NOT read the info out of context. I've been a JW most of my life and I can attest to that.

We don't make prophecies. There have been mistakes made in the past and these have been rectified. But if you think that we are 'false prophets', then you undoubtedly have been misinformed and don't know very much about the way we, as a people, work. I'll be glad to clear up any misunderstandings.

Last edited by renriq02; 10-20-2008 at 06:36 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 09:10 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,859,644 times
It took a lot of research, but I finally found the history of this religion.

Check out my post on this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...testant-2.html

Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Why dont you read the articles that say Jews say that the name jehovah or any other close to it...yahweh is WRONG! They have stated in many places that it is IMPOSSIBLE for His name to be Yahweh

His name is not jehovah or yahweh.

I didn't say 'God' was unknown to the Jews.
I said that the NAME OF GOD was unknown to the Jews.

It's funny how it was 'unknown' until the last 4 centuries. It was made up, and is now the real name of God according to men
I think this conversation has served. You are flatly contradicting the works of accredited scholars and Jewish historians alike w/ your statements. The translation of the Tetragrammeton is in literally thousands of research works and the word Jehovah is accepted by many experts as the correct English transliteration of the name. It was even in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, for goodness sake! It's a recognized pronunciation.

The name of GOd in Hebrew is throughout the scriptures, as I've noted and as I've provided references for. You seem to put alot of faith in the Jews and I appreciate your reasons for this. But I have spoken to and read the work of many experts on the Hebrew language. You'll forgive me if I am therefore unwilling to accept the arguments that contradict what I know from my own research. THe jews didnt stop using the Tetragrammeton in their writings until the fourth or fifth century, for unclear reasons.

And again, not to be a broken record, but just because the name Jehovah was not known until more recent times, does not mean that the name of God should not be spoken. Instead, he made it clear that he wanted his name declared throughout the earth and even the Lord's prayer speaks of the name being sanctified. When Jesus quoted from the Old Testatment, he used the name of God. I have no doubt that we are expected to do our best to use it as well.

Last edited by alicenevada; 10-21-2008 at 06:36 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
So they have never made a prophecy that was false?

I know there are many incorrect teachings like about the 144k being Gentiles, only a few are actually saved, Jesus can't be worshipped or prayed to, Jesus 2nd coming happened in 1914, Jesus did not rise out of the grave in a physical manner, etc

Jesus is also Michael the archangel.
I'm tired of the eye-rolling renriq. I'm not going to continue to respond to your obvious sarcasm. But if you truly want to know, I'll be glad to clarify any confusion concerning those teachings above or others. I don't see any prophecies there.

And by the way,, I appreciate the effort you've put into examining the background of my faith. I hope you're not only reading information by 'former Jehovah's Witnesses' as that would be unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity